Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody make a downpipe for the 2.0 engine?

This may be the best bang for the buck upgrade if the ECU allows it.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Haven't seen anyone offer anything yet. The catback's have helped a bit, but thats all we have at this time.

There are a few companies in the final process of releasing their tune so hopefully we get some insight on their roadmap as well.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I am also waiting for a DP. One with an external wastegate would we AWESOME lol. Jk. too loud for us "mature" guys.

·
Registered
141 Posts
On other cars they have better flowing down pipes with high flow cats so the change in emissions isn't much. Most emissions testing now is a code check

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,744 Posts
On other cars they have better flowing down pipes with high flow cats so the change in emissions isn't much. Most emissions testing now is a code check
In California the parts are required to be certified as smog legal. I expect that said certification is expensive, so such parts are likely to only be made for high volume production cars.

In spite of the requirement that the parts be certified smog legal, many test shops are likely to pass a car with non-certified parts as long as it does not throw codes or fail the emission test. YMMV.

·
Registered
159 Posts
this car needs a down pipe, in my experience with other cars, this is the one part that makes the car go alive.

·
Registered
'17 Ti Sport Q4 w/ Active Shocks & LSD
798 Posts
Perhaps this is what would be ideal

Does anybody make a downpipe for the 2.0 engine?

This may be the best bang for the buck upgrade if the ECU allows it.
http://shop.alfisti.net/Tuning-Styl...ss-Steel-Catalyst-Replacement-Pipe::9218.html

Using this to replace the Cat, in a 2.0l, would probably leave a stock header connection to facilitate, existing stock exhaust, any cat back aftermarket exhaust (straight, resonator or resonator/muffler).

Is this a “holy grail” of the downpipe search? Don’t know... (I’m messaging the vendor to see if it does indeed, like it looks, work with all combinations cat back.)

Alfisti chime in if you know,

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
this car needs a down pipe, in my experience with other cars, this is the one part that makes the car go alive.
I don't see how a downpipe alone will make a big difference. That's generally a part you change after you've already changed a lot of other things and still want more oomph.

Where I live, we can't legally remove the cat, which is not the same thing as a downpipe. There's no way I'm going to make changes that won't pass smog here. It has to be inspected every two years, and on rare occasion, there is a random roadside inspection.

Even doing a downpipe only, still needs to meet smog.

If we're talking about a dedicated track car that's been removed from road service, cat removal, new downpipe and headers are a must.

·
Registered
7,744 Posts
Wouldn't a retune to remove the post cat oxygen check be necessary if removing the cat?

I agree with Racer Z that removing the cat should not be done on a road car. Buy a QV if the 4 cylinder does not make enough power, people need air that is breathable and just because you do not care about breathing and/or your health does not mean that other people agree. It isn't 1960 anymore.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Yes, a catback requires no tune.

Any changes to the down pipe or cat DO.

FWIW many people, myself included on previous cars, run high efficiency cats. These can both increase performance and perform just as well as factory cats from an environmental perspective. The issue is they are expensive, which is why they aren't fitted from the factory. I don't know if anyone is offering them for Giulias, but I am sure they will.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts

FWIW many people, myself included on previous cars, run high efficiency cats. These can both increase performance and perform just as well as factory cats from an environmental perspective. The issue is they are expensive, which is why they aren't fitted from the factory. I don't know if anyone is offering them for Giulias, but I am sure they will.
Ragazzon pipe comes in catless or high flow cat version, both need a tune

·
Registered
7,744 Posts

A high efficiency cat needs to be tested to verify that it actually performs smog control as well as the OEM cat to actually meet the smog rules. This third party testing is expensive and has to be done at least for each model of car engine that the cat might be used with. I expect that translates into the testing is not done and you just have manufacturer's unsubstantiated claims to go on. Please correct me and point me to published data if I am wrong.

Note that passing a simple tailpipe emissions test is not the same as passing the full manufacturer's smog test. The tailpipe test is just a spot check to validate that an already functioning and unmodified system is not malfunctioning.

·
Registered
443 Posts
A high efficiency cat needs to be tested to verify that it actually performs smog control as well as the OEM cat to actually meet the smog rules. This third party testing is expensive and has to be done at least for each model of car engine that the cat might be used with. I expect that translates into the testing is not done and you just have manufacturer's unsubstantiated claims to go on. Please correct me and point me to published data if I am wrong.

Note that passing a simple tailpipe emissions test is not the same as passing the full manufacturer's smog test. The tailpipe test is just a spot check to validate that an already functioning and unmodified system is not malfunctioning.
Incorrect, if it is CARB certified then it has been tested that it is actually meeting the legal requirements.

We may not ever see a CARB certified downpipe for the Giulia because the market is too small but they exist in larger tuning worlds. And that doesn't mean we won't see well performing high efficiency cats.

It is more nuanced than throwing all modders under the bus.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts

Incorrect, if it is CARB certified then it has been tested that it is actually meeting the legal requirements.

We may not ever see a CARB certified downpipe for the Giulia because the market is too small but they exist in larger tuning worlds. And that doesn't mean we won't see well performing high efficiency cats.

It is more nuanced than throwing all modders under the bus.
So, what's the difference between a CARB certificate and the lengthy explanation that lockem gave? Aren't they both one-in-the-same?

"...well performing high efficiency cats" that are not smog legal are great and do exist. But, if it's not smog legal, why bother? I realize that some states may not be as strict as others, and I live in the absolute strictest area. Some might be able to get away with certain changes. But I'd have to change out a lot of stuff every two years just to pass the SMOG TEST. And why? Just for a few extra HP? Or just to be a rebel?

I can get a lot more extra power while doing things that are legal and don't need to be undone just to pass some stupid test.

I've had stock cars fail the smog test. Once that happens, I can't work on it myself. I can't even take it to a regular mechanic. I've got to go to a mechanic on a short list (State Smog Certified on the State provided list) and return with a receipt. Even if all he does is pour a can of liquid "Tune-up in a Can" crap down the intake while the engine is running and charge me $1000. Been there, done that.

But, in trying to get off this moral compass thing, and back to downpipes in general...

The downpipe builder has to design and test their downpipe. Not just to ensure that it does indeed perform better than OEM (believe me, there are a few that will take your money while actually lowering your power), but even more importantly, ensuring that your car does not start throwing CELs.

·
Registered
443 Posts
So, what's the difference between a CARB certificate and the lengthy explanation that lockem gave? Aren't they both one-in-the-same?

"...well performing high efficiency cats" that are not smog legal are great and do exist. But, if it's not smog legal, why bother? I realize that some states may not be as strict as others, and I live in the absolute strictest area. Some might be able to get away with certain changes. But I'd have to change out a lot of stuff every two years just to pass the SMOG TEST. And why? Just for a few extra HP? Or just to be a rebel?

I can get a lot more extra power while doing things that are legal and don't need to be undone just to pass some stupid test.

I've had stock cars fail the smog test. Once that happens, I can't work on it myself. I can't even take it to a regular mechanic. I've got to go to a mechanic on a short list (State Smog Certified on the State provided list) and return with a receipt. Even if all he does is pour a can of liquid "Tune-up in a Can" crap down the intake while the engine is running and charge me $1000. Been there, done that.

But, in trying to get off this moral compass thing, and back to downpipes in general...

The downpipe builder has to design and test their downpipe. Not just to ensure that it does indeed perform better than OEM (believe me, there are a few that will take your money while actually lowering your power), but even more importantly, ensuring that your car does not start throwing CELs.
If it's CARB certified you'll pass both the readiness (OBDII) and sniffer test. That's the core of it.

If it isn't CARB certified you'll probably pass one but not the other which is a crapshoot.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts