Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all. Manual mode is fantastic. I’m thrilled with my new car.

But

I want to know if there’s a way to get the transmission to drop more than one gear in manual mode.

For example, when some asshat pulls in front of me and I need to dart around him/her I want to be able to go from 6th gear directly to 3rd. This is done in auto mode by the computer but in manual mode my only options are to either pull the - lever 3 times, which takes longer than I’d like. This transmission shifts incredibly quickly in manual mode but only when shifting one gear at a time. The other option is to hold the - lever. This allows the transmission to find the lowest possible gear for your speed but The car actually cycles through ever gear on the way there. And each of those gears takes about a second to hit.

What I’m hoping for is a feature similar to something I read about on the M3. In its manual mode you can stab the throttle all the way to the floor and click the - and it goes directly to the lowest gear. Skipping all the fluff inbetween. Now this is a dual clutch but that shouldn’t matter as the giulia accomplishes this in auto mode with ease.

I realize an m3 is not an apples to apples comparison and I don’t know if auto 3 series cars have the same feature. I’m just pointing at it as an example. It doesn’t so much seem like a performance feature as much as it’s just a programmable feature.

Anyway, does anyone know of a way to accomplish this? Or if you don’t, do you know of any surveys or what the best communication mechanism would be to reach Alfa and suggest/request such a feature for the future.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
630 Posts
No. Manual mode is strictly sequential. 3 lever pulls to change 3 gears. Aftermarket tuners haven't yet released anything for the transmission control module or the electronic shifter control module (or whatever it's called).

·
Registered
332 Posts
If you hold down the (-) paddle it will sequentially downshift as quickly/safely as it can. You can press multiple times as well but i think outcomes would be the same. also, if holding it down and you time it right, you will end up in the gear you want to be in. takes some practice but really is best while approaching and exiting a corner.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you hold down the (-) paddle it will sequentially downshift as quickly/safely as it can. You can press multiple times as well but i think outcomes would be the same. also, if holding it down and you time it right, you will end up in the gear you want to be in. takes some practice but really is best while approaching and exiting a corner.
I’ll be working on this. I just don’t love that it actually engages ever gear. You’re right though. I guess this is the only option for what I’m trying to do.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,738 Posts
That is what the manual says, but it doesn't seem to work in my car. When I tried it, I got 2 gears downshift rather than the lowest valid gear. Specifically at 40MPH clicking - once got me M5 while holding it got me M4. I am pretty sure the car can manage M3 at 40MPH, maybe M2.

I tried this both in full manual mode and with paddle override in automatic mode. Any thoughts? My car has only 180 miles on the ODO, so maybe it doesn't want to rev the engine?

·
Registered
630 Posts
Maybe it depends on what DNA mode is selected? I’ve got 1800 miles on odometer and I haven’t noticed the car enforcing any sort of break-in regimen since I got it. When in Dynamic mode my car will downshift automatically to the lowest gear the vehicle speed will allow when you pull and hold (-) paddle. It doesn’t exhibit the same behavior on upshifts. Only downshifts.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

That is what the manual says, but it doesn't seem to work in my car. When I tried it, I got 2 gears downshift rather than the lowest valid gear. Specifically at 40MPH clicking - once got me M5 while holding it got me M4. I am pretty sure the car can manage M3 at 40MPH, maybe M2.

I tried this both in full manual mode and with paddle override in automatic mode. Any thoughts? My car has only 180 miles on the ODO, so maybe it doesn't want to rev the engine?
I can speak for manual while in dynamic. When holding down the - it will eventually shift to the lowest available gear. I believe there’s a threshold though. For example. It may not shift into a gear where Your Rpms are past the redline.

I wonder, though, if there’s a threshold. It’d be somewhat dangerous to shift into 2nd at, say, 5800 rpms. I’ll test this out..... while slowing down :)

·
Registered
573 Posts
MY18 with just over 800 miles. Waiting until I get over 1000 before I start getting into manual mode and running the RPMs up.

I was "trying" to take it easy with the break in. Easier said than done, she just wants to be driven. I did notice that since I went over 800 mile on the OD she seems to want to hold gears longer at higher RPMs in D than before that. Not sure if it's just me or if the car does/did have some sort of miles restriction for break in period. Might just be the dynamic ECM getting adjusted on how I drive. Either way, I will find out more about her on my road trip this weekend. 4 and half hour drive one way over the hills and through the woods to see the grand kids.

Reactions: greg328

·
Registered
332 Posts

Has your start stop kicked in yet even? Could be possible that computer doesn’t want you do that.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I can speak for manual while in dynamic. When holding down the - it will eventually shift to the lowest available gear. I believe there’s a threshold though. For example. It may not shift into a gear where Your Rpms are past the redline.

I wonder, though, if there’s a threshold. It’d be somewhat dangerous to shift into 2nd at, say, 5800 rpms. I’ll test this out..... while slowing down /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
Test completed! It seems that 5500 RPM is the magic number. So, you can’t shift into a gear unless your RPMs will be ~5500 or under.

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
Has your start stop kicked in yet even? Could be possible that computer doesn’t want you do that.
Start-stop from 35 to 120 miles was non-stop highway. At 120 miles start-stop was working (and promptly manually disabled).

I am driving entirely in N since that puts the lowest stress on the engine for break in. I'll put 500 miles on her this weekend, so I should find out if this is a break in restriction soon enough.

FWIW: the manual gives break in instructions (paraphrasing):

First 100 miles: keep below 3500 RPM and 55MPH. I did not strictly observe this but more-or-less followed it.
100-300 miles: keep below 5000 RPM and 65MPH.
300-500 miles: no sustained use of full throttle.
500-1500 miles: no racing

Proper break in is an art. Too gentle and the parts will glaze and not seat perfectly. Too aggressive and parts get damaged. Don't forget that engine, transmission, and differential(s) all need break in. Even the A/C compressor needs break in.

I believe 3rd gear should reach just over 60MPH at the redline, so at 40MPH it shouldn't rev the engine excessively high.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Start-stop from 35 to 120 miles was non-stop highway. At 120 miles start-stop was working (and promptly manually disabled).

I am driving entirely in N since that puts the lowest stress on the engine for break in. I'll put 500 miles on her this weekend, so I should find out if this is a break in restriction soon enough.

FWIW: the manual gives break in instructions (paraphrasing):

First 100 miles: keep below 3500 RPM and 55MPH. I did not strictly observe this but more-or-less followed it.

100-300 miles: keep below 5000 RPM and 65MPH.

300-500 miles: no sustained use of full throttle.

500-1500 miles: no racing

Proper break in is an art. Too gentle and the parts will glaze and not seat perfectly. Too aggressive and parts get damaged. Don't forget that engine, transmission, and differential(s) all need break in. Even the A/C compressor needs break in.

I believe 3rd gear should reach just over 60MPH at the redline, so at 40MPH it shouldn't rev the engine excessively high.

Why would N put less stress on car compared to A? I would imagine less transmission and motor wear on a mode

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
First of all. Manual mode is fantastic. I’m thrilled with my new car.

But

I want to know if there’s a way to get the transmission to drop more than one gear in manual mode.

For example, when some asshat pulls in front of me and I need to dart around him/her I want to be able to go from 6th gear directly to 3rd.
If some asshat pulls in front of you, other than at a track event, I would suggest you chill out, take a deep breath, give him the universal "peace" sign and move on...... the streets are not race tracks.......

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
Why would N put less stress on car compared to A? I would imagine less transmission and motor wear on a mode

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It takes more torque to pull a taller gear. More torque == more force on the parts.

High RPM produces more friction (and friction heat) on the parts. This actually helps with break in as long as the heat does not build up to the point that galling occurs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I love using the paddle shifters, however my 2018Ti (in dinamic mode) down shifted better than my 2019. The 2018 felt crisp and shifted fast, even blipped the throttle at every downshift. The 2019 feels mushy in comparison and refuses to shift even when it's safely under 5500 rpm. The dealer flash the ECU and it helped a little, but it never got close to the older one. The one thing I do like better in the new one is the abs kicks in later allowing me to drift just a bit before it abruptly kicks in. The old one was too sensitive when the tail got happy.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I love using the paddle shifters, however my 2018Ti (in dinamic mode) down shifted better than my 2019. The 2018 felt crisp and shifted fast, even blipped the throttle at every downshift. The 2019 feels mushy in comparison and refuses to shift even when it's safely under 5500 rpm. The dealer flash the ECU and it helped a little, but it never got close to the older one. The one thing I do like better in the new one is the abs kicks in later allowing me to drift just a bit before it abruptly kicks in. The old one was too sensitive when the tail got happy.
You mean traction control, not ABS right ;)?

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,478 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts