Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticing scuff marks in the molded plastic of the door panels from my feet scraping as I enter and exit. Anyone got a solution for removing them or any CF additions to cover the lower part of the door.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Mine is really a mess. Must be 10 scuffs. Looks bad. I try to be careful but not good. Never had this in any other vehicle.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,715 Posts
CF would be even worse. The issue is that the ergnomics of the rocker, door and seat are such that it is difficult to get in/out without tapping the plastic with your shoe. Some people have had the rubber door seal above the rocker tear, presumably due to shoe contact.

I back into the seat and use my arms and hands grab my knee to guide my feet into the car; the same technique I used in my E-type and the same technique that makes getting in/out of a 4C "easy". I still have a few scuff marks. To some extent it seems that dust sticks to the plastic with a vengeance and wiping the scuff with a damp microfiber cloth reduces the prominence of the marks.

I'm going to guess that scuffing is less of a problem with the Lusso seats.

The best way to protect against scuff marks was suggested quite a while back: carpet (or similar) padding. That's what my pickup truck has. The downside is that it adds a little weight.

IMO to improve the ergonomics the useless pockets in the front doors should go, then the door speakers should be less prominent (I've kicked the grills several times).

·
Registered
317 Posts
The plastic seem tough. I'm not sure I have any scuffs...I would have thought they clean off. I've still not taken off my plastic stickers on the door sills though. Off topic there's a restored gullwing for sale (I think at RMs auction). The door sills are about a foot and a half wide with seats real low and a large steering wheel. The sills are done completely in leather. How one gets in and out without marring that is a mystery. At an average of $1.5M I assume if it takes 20 minutes to get in carefully that's what one does....

·
Registered
253 Posts
I just use a plastic conditioner detail spray and a microfiber cloth and the scuffs pretty much disappear. I get the scuffs on the doors, under the dash on the glove box from people's knees rubbing, and on the backs of the seats when people sit in the back seat. It all comes off pretty easily with a good interior detail spray and almost looks like new even after 10k miles.

·
Registered
7,715 Posts
I just use a plastic conditioner detail spray and a microfiber cloth and the scuffs pretty much disappear. I get the scuffs on the doors, under the dash on the glove box from people's knees rubbing, and on the backs of the seats when people sit in the back seat. It all comes off pretty easily with a good interior detail spray and almost looks like new even after 10k miles.
That cleans the dirt off but scratches, rubs, and worn spots remain. They start out subtle but accumulate over time. Plastic is soft and pretty much any contact with anything harder than skin or a soft cloth will leave a mark.

Half of the keys on my computer keyboard are blank or very shiny, so even skin wears down plastic...

·
Registered
317 Posts
If people are scratching hard plastic there's no way a "full leather" interior would survive. Try sitting slightly higher and with seat further back if possible....

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Carpet....my 1978 Oldsmobile Regency Brougham (2 door coupe) had tufted velour seats and carpeting on the lower third of the door cards.....that interior was the *HIT !!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Carpet....my 1978 Oldsmobile Regency Brougham (2 door coupe) had tufted velour seats and carpeting on the lower third of the door cards.....that interior was the *HIT !!!!
So Pimp!!! I love it. :smile2:

Reactions: Alfaholico

·
Registered
7,715 Posts
Just had a "doh" moment with this issue.

The door has two open positions:

Easy to swing out but hard to not scuff the panel.
and
Hard to swing out but lots of room to avoid the panel with your shoes.

I knew this long ago, but didn't realize that I was not opening the door to the second position when I was scuffing the panel.

Just make sure the door doesn't hit anything when it is opened to the wider position; it hangs out a long way. Better to scuff plastic with your shoe than paint against another car or barrier.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Anybody have examples of them being treated in leather... Or are there aftermarket replacements in cf?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Just had a "doh" moment with this issue.

The door has two open positions:

Easy to swing out but hard to not scuff the panel.
and
Hard to swing out but lots of room to avoid the panel with your shoes.

I knew this long ago, but didn't realize that I was not opening the door to the second position when I was scuffing the panel.

Just make sure the door doesn't hit anything when it is opened to the wider position; it hangs out a long way. Better to scuff plastic with your shoe than paint against another car or barrier.
Exactly!! I didn't realize this because I am always careful when opening the door in the garage (so never fully open the door). Only recently did I also re-remember that if you fully open the door, the chances of door foot hits are greatly reduced. Add to that the automatic seat retract option.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts