Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

Door mirror issues

6K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  AdamPi 
#1 ·
I have seen this covered in other posts. My drivers door mirror folds when I lock the door, but it either: 1. doesn’t fold back out. 2. Folds out after 20 something seconds 3. Folds out immediately IF the mirror was adjusted before locking the doors and it is no longer than 10 minutes since the door was lock/mirrors folded. Under scenarios 1 and 2, all controls may or may not be active, but the mirror points farther up and away than the adjustment. Pressing the mirror/ seat memory button may or may not reset the mirror to the memorized position. I love the car, in general, but to have to screw around with the mirrors every time I start the car confirms my concerns I had before purchasing the car that Italian engineering is inferior to Japanese technology. Judging from previous posts I see that this problem has existed for over a year and my dealer is clueless and Alfa is useless. I will start research lemon law regulations and might initiate legal recourse.

#2 ·
Sorry I posted this in the wrong forum, I am new to the forum and I am not happy with my purchase due to this one issue. It doesn’t bode well for longevity of ownership if there is a problem in the first week and know one knows what to do. I am in St. Louis and would like very much to be a happy Alfa owner and contributor to the forum.

#3 ·
Welcome to the forum! A couple of us have had issues, but I for one still love my Quadrifoglio! I'm willing to put up with a few glitches since this is such a new product. I'm not familiar with this particular problem you're having, but it may be as simple as a software update...

St. Louis? Funny, that's where my QV story began. We flew in there and drove to Pittsburgh, Kansas, in a 392 Hemi Charger, which woke up the sleeping motorhead in me. When I was back home, I was all set to buy a Hellcat Charger, but then one day a red Giulia passed me on the road. A week later, I owned one!

Reactions: VictorByFar
#5 ·
“Italian engineering is inferior to Japanese technology”. For me, the engineering that I really care about such as the handling of the car is brilliant and much better than what you would find in any Japanese sedan. It sounds like you have a problem with your mirrors that should be addressed by a visit to the dealer. Japanese cars also have their problems. Eg how about the millions of cars recalled because of faulty Japanese engineered air bag systems?

#6 ·
The problem with the mirrors appears to be relatively rare. Few cars have this problem, so it is not as-if the electronics are simply coded wrong. What the car is missing is a setting to disable the auto-fold feature.

I have no suggestions for how you get such a fault fixed, other than taking the car to a competent service center. If your dealer has no clues, they do not qualify as a competent service center.

#8 ·
I am glad to see that so many owners are happy with their Alfas. It is a major PITA to have to fool with the mirrors for 3 minutes every time I get in the car. The car was in the dealership for a couple days and they said that a software update solved the problem. The problem started again immediately and they said they would research it, that was 2 weeks ago. I never had problems like this with my 5 SAABs, 2 Subarus or 6 BMW Motorcycles. Even my Lotus didn’t exhibit any behaviors like this one. It’s not the end of the world, I love the car otherwise, it handles like a dream, but every time I start the car, my first 2-5 minutes consists of attempting a combination of operations that will result in a usable rear view mirror and dampens the anticipation of jumping in the car and enjoying to ride, aesthetics and power of my Giulia. I don’t want to get rid of the car, I already bought WeatherTech mats for it (and it’s sexy)

#16 ·
I'd sell it ASAP. If you don't like the car & it ticks you as much as you describe every time you get in it, trade it in & shop for a car with great mirrors.

Reactions: Richardalfa
#17 ·
My wifes x3 forgets my audio presets all the time and when I get out, it leaves the radio on until I lock the car, sometimes but not always.

My wife set the dash somehow tonahownthe compass and we cant figure out how to make it return to normal view.

The mirrors fold out if you go over 15mph if you dontnpress the switch when you get in. They dont open on starting the engine, in the x3 that is. The alfa opens on engine start.

We get a check engine light after I wash the car x3 and the codes say it's the grill dampers. goes away on its own.

Anyway, all cars have quirks that we cant figure out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.