Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled my 1 month old Giulia into a local touchless car wash....was too cold to wash it outside and it was filthy. My beautiful dark 5 hole wheels were chewed up around the edges by the car wash tracks. As you might imagine I'm pretty upset about it, but figured maybe I can save someone else from making the same stupid mistake. ANY automated car wash is putting your beautiful Giulia at risk of damage....better to let it just be dirty until the weather warrants a real hand wash.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I pulled my 1 month old Giulia into a local touchless car wash....was too cold to wash it outside and it was filthy. My beautiful dark 5 hole wheels were chewed up around the edges by the car wash tracks. As you might imagine I'm pretty upset about it, but figured maybe I can save someone else from making the same stupid mistake. ANY automated car wash is putting your beautiful Giulia at risk of damage....better to let it just be dirty until the weather warrants a real hand wash.
Thanks for the warning. I’ve been tempted but have not succumbed to the machine wash temptation.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Very sorry to hear about your wheels but thank you for sharing this information on the forum. Will notify my wife tonight about the issue you experienced and I hope you are able to find an economical process to repair the wheels.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I only use touchless car washes without track guides (the kind that you stop the car and wait that robots complete their dance around the car...zero issues all winter....some of those old carwashes have to narrow track guides for many modern cars anyway, almost guaranteed car will get pushed around on entry...

·
Registered
449 Posts
The touchless I have used (the only one so far) is a laser guided set of wands at the local Shell, which move around the car. No track to mess up the wheels. YMMV...
Really sorry to hear about your wheels. I can't imagine the horror and disappointment. I guess there is no recourse.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Did you ask the car-wash to compensate you? If the wheels would not fit through their guide rails, or their profile was too low, they should have told you. They are the experts on their carwash equipment, not you.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Argh! It's rape Alfa Romeo wheels month! OMG! Sorry to say but I learned about the car wash tracks decades ago. But I am afraid there may be other tracks, even at dealers with who knows what kind of lifts that may have done the same damage to my front wheel. But I suspect it was the tire machines because they were impact chips from 90' for the most part. A local Ferrari mechanic/manager/racer who did the major on my 348, just said the machines should not touch the wheel at all. He said it sounded more like "pilot error" to him. That was funny and I am 90% sure he meant the tech and NOT me! Godammit. Since curbing my OZ I am physically and mentally incapable of getting more than 6 inches to a curb when driving now. Also, I know of at least 1 machine that places the wheel face down to break the bead loose from the inside! I think this was the culprit. There were also chips on the lug sockets and a stupid set of tool scratched on the side of one spoke. So there was probably crap on the machine, they dropped the wheel on it's face, or they just banged the damm thing around. My photo of the tape I put on clearly shows no chips on that wheel. I will send it to AR Cares if needed. But the spoke is the only problem spot after my hard work. I would be content to have a wheel guy come out and prep/respray it.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Problem with those track guides is that they are often simply to high even if they are wide enough....20 years ago 50 profile tires were ok, nowadays with every better car having 40 or less profile tires they just mangle the wheels

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Thank you for the heads up.
I've been to a car wash with tracks a couple times and luckily I've got no damage. I'll stay away from them from now on.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,094 Posts
Just look for the place that washes Bentleys and Hummers with dubs, and you should be fine.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I just use a touchless car wash with no track. Was too paranoid to take it into a regular one with microfiber brushes.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,181 Posts
Rimblades?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I pretty much don't trust any auto car wash - even the automated ones don't really do much for me. I simply just go to a bay where you can use the hand wash wand at your discretion and wash/rinse as I see fit. It also allows me to get into tough areas of the car (e.g. wheel wells).

Reactions: Chicago

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
These cars are not Ferrari's or Lamboghini's.

I have used a car wash with tracks and never had an issue.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
These cars are not Ferrari's or Lamboghini's.

I have used a car wash with tracks and never had an issue.
Me, too...and probably even the same one as the OP! The one I use does have an attendant guide cars in, though; maybe that's the difference?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dammm

After reading your post...I'm pissed!!!!
Last week I notice some scratches on my wheels and lower body and for the wreck of me I could swear that I didn't touch any sidewalk or nothing similar..
But now everything makes senses... I notice after taking my car to a car wash( will never go back to that spot). I blamed myself and though that maybe I never had noticed because the car was dirty... but now...

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts