Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

Dog in the car, looking for advice

9K views 31 replies 23 participants last post by  John4C 
#1 ·
Since I got my QV, my dog never set a paw in it. I'm overly neat with my cars, although in my previous one (M3 e46), the all season mats and leather seats made it easier for him to lay down in the front passenger area and me to clean after.

The QV, with the alcantara seats and nice mats, doesn't seem to be a good match. That being said, I miss being able to take him places. He's a Belgian Malinois, and I usually carry him around in the family SUV (CX-5, mainly my wife's car). Every time she's not around though, and I take my car, I simply can't do anything with him.

So I'm looking for advice from other members who maybe take their dogs in their QV (or regular Giulia) and have found solutions to keep the slobber and hair in check. Maybe there's some miracle solution I don't know about - I hope!

#3 ·
Simply, dogs have no right or reason to be in a car...unless you're taking them to the vet...

We've got the ultra sticky Alcantara in the Squadra Corse, which is a dog/cat hair magnet 🧲. Giulia, however, has perfectly smooth and non-sticky leather, so no problem...

If you have to have dogs that travel (your insistence presumably?), then either wrap them as recommended by ArbarthEsq above (my recommendation too), or upgrade to full leather, or donate the dog to a owner/traveller who has a car they don't care about... Hey, Toyota drivers are also dog lovers...🐶

This post has been deleted
#4 ·
This would be the only way I’d let my dog in the car, and even then, I don’t. That is what our SUV is for.

#5 ·
There are many “seat cover”s for pets in car. This is one example I just did a quick search on Amazon. This is to provide space for pets, not for transport them though. I use a similar product not foe pet but to buy bulk items at Homedepot ;)

There are also pet booster seats designed specifically for carrying pets in car safely.

#10 ·
Yup just get a rear seat cover that hooks over the rear head rests. I traveled with our dog in my base Giulia all the time and now she loves the QV also. You can get soft brushes to clean the alcantara. I clip the dog into a restraint that goes into the seat belt receiver.

#12 ·
I clip the dog into a restraint that goes into the seat belt receiver.
I, too, use a restraint to keep my dog safe and keep him in place. It attaches to his harness and stops him flying through the windshield if I ever have an accident. I put a dog bed on the back seat and he just stays right there.

Some of these rear seat “sling” solutions sound good. Gotta look into those 🤔

#15 ·
Isn't there a Mopar Alfa Romeo rear seat protector, suitable for use with dogs? (suitable for other uses too)
I also think the pet harnesses are designed to clip into the child seat clips that are in the rear.

#23 ·
Something to consider is a chest harness. There are some models that are made for pets to be in cars and come with a seatbelt loop style strap so that you can feed the seatbelt through the loop and keep them secure if not in a crate/kennel. There are many types and styles of seat covers that help keep the fur that sheds. Keep the car a little cooler, if you can where the dog(s) is so that they don't pant so much. At the end of the day, dogs shed and some dogs slobber. I hope you find this helpful.

#25 ·
My dogs have always gone in my cars, from a Cavalier King Charles on the parcel shelf of my TVRs, with ears flying in the wind, to my Weimaraner in the back of my old E92 M3 and in my previous 991.2 GTS (whenever I opened the front door she always went straight to the Porsche instead of the SUV, so I think she's a bit of a petrolhead). I had a fitted cover over the back seats in the Porsche.

She loves going in the cars and it's also good security - anyone going near the car sees a big dog staring at them...

She has been used to going in the car since she was a puppy and has done 280kph on the Autobahn (she would have got to 300kph but my girlfriend decided to start shouting at me, which is a bit offputting at that speed). Fortunately she is not inclined to chew anything and she generally just sleeps, only tapping me on the shoulder on very long journeys when it's time for her to take a comfort break.

My kid did more damage to cars (particularly the back of seats) than a dog has ever done.

When I get a QV she will be going in that as well.

#30 ·
have had my pooch for 13 years and he has traveled in ALL my cars, just take the proper care. he rides in the back seats in the QV safely harnessed and a blanket that covers all the back and is tucked. he's not bouncing around.
In the other cars he rides up front when just me and him. It's a car at the end of the day, if something gets damaged I will have it fixed....dogs are part of the family...if you child yakked up in your car would you freak out???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.