Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doesn't ALFA owe 2018 "Pre-Wired for Apple and Android" Buyers Information NOW?

It has been four months since I bought my 2018 "pre-wired for Apple Car Play" Giulia. During that four months, after promoting that ALL 2018 models would be equipped with CarPlay, Alfa Romeo corporate has provided exactly ZERO information about when the software will be provided to those who bought 2018s before the software was built in at the factory.

I love my Alfa. I expect a promise from a corporation to be honored. I also expect reasonable communications about when the promise will be fulfilled. All of this expectation is on ALFA, not on the dealers.

This is a serious breach of promise so far. Alfa needs to fix this now.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,463 Posts
The full Alfa Romeo logo should read:

Alfa Romeo
You want it when?
Or,

Just enjoy driving it
and don't worry about all that other stuff.

·
Registered
216 Posts
It is appreciated that you have followed up with us in regards to the
Apple Carplay feature update. We have exhausted all resources for an
update on availability and have found no new information has been
provided at this time. We certainly regret the inconvenience this is to
you and hope we receive more information soon.

·
Registered
216 Posts
We certainly respect your frustration in this matter and wish we had a
more informative response to provide to you at this time. We regret
that we are not privy to the manufacturing decisions that are made. At
this time we can only encourage to check in with your local dealer or
with us to see if an update on the ETA for Apple Carplay has been
released.

·
Registered
216 Posts
It is appreciated that you are following up with us for an update on the
Apple Carplay feature availability. We have exhausted all resources in
regards to this feature in search of an update and at this time there is
no status on its release.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I kinda don’t understand the problem with 2018’s not coming with the software not being able to be upgraded to use CarPlay and google. If you already have the proper hardware and they already have the software out in the wild on customer’s cars what’s the holdup? Do they have issues with the firmware upgrade procedure or something? Doesn’t make sense to me?

·
Registered
869 Posts
I have been waiting for the same in my Mazda for 3 years. It was announced to be available starting in 2017 in 2016. Then for 2018 in 2017. Well, its 2018 now and nada.

Lot's of companies are failing here.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Same boat here; had the car for four months, and no word. Love driving my car, love my dealership, hate FCA.

Just a WAG here, but I’m wondering if maybe they tried the update on one of their own cars and it totally f’d up the infotainment system to the point hey couldn’t fix it. So now, they’re trying to figure out what they did wrong and how to do it right. Software has never been a strong point for any Italian car I’ve owned in past.

Or, they can’t figure out how to compensate the dealer’s service departments for the time it takes to do the update, and the dealers service departments are saying “no way we take on that cost: you made the promise, you keep it”.

Not sure which fantasy I like best, or if maybe it’s some hybrid of the two. Can’t wait for warm weather to put the summer tires back on and finally feel what full throttle acceleration and handling is like. This beast is loosey goosey on winter tires. Much fun.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Same boat here; had the car for four months, and no word. Love driving my car, love my dealership, hate FCA.

Just a WAG here, but I’m wondering if maybe they tried the update on one of their own cars and it totally f’d up the infotainment system to the point hey couldn’t fix it. So now, they’re trying to figure out what they did wrong and how to do it right. Software has never been a strong point for any Italian car I’ve owned in past.

Or, they can’t figure out how to compensate the dealer’s service departments for the time it takes to do the update, and the dealers service departments are saying “no way we take on that cost: you made the promise, you keep it”.

Not sure which fantasy I like best, or if maybe it’s some hybrid of the two. Can’t wait for warm weather to put the summer tires back on and finally feel what full throttle acceleration and handling is like. This beast is loosey goosey on winter tires. Much fun.

I agree. My opinion - honesty is the best policy if you are in a long race to beat the likes of BMW, Mercedes and Audi. ALFA needs to exceed in terms of customer sat. If they screwed up, then they should just say so, make it right one way or another, and then move on. "Cover up" is not a winning formula in business. ALFA should just tell their customers what the **** is going on and do the right thing.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I agree. My opinion - honesty is the best policy if you are in a long race to beat the likes of BMW, Mercedes and Audi. ALFA needs to exceed in terms of customer sat. If they screwed up, then they should just say so, make it right one way or another, and then move on. "Cover up" is not a winning formula in business. ALFA should just tell their customers what the **** is going on and do the right thing.
You'd think so. But despite making some compelling product over the years, customer service has never been their strong suit. And I'm talking about both the Italians and the Americans in the FCA marriage of convenience. Don't expect them to change anytime soon. I don't know if it's a cultural issue or lack of resources or what. Change, if it happens, will come slowly. But hey, if Jaguar can turn it around, then I have hopes for Alfa, just not high hopes.

Don't expect that Alfa is playing the long-game here. They've been in a fight for survival for decades now and they're still just barely hanging on. There's a chance Alfa Romeo will be a defunct brand before early 2018 Giulia owners get Apple Car Play working in their cars.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/4...ple-car-play-android-auto-cost-200-300-a.html
It has been four months since I bought my 2018 "pre-wired for Apple Car Play" Giulia. During that four months, after promoting that ALL 2018 models would be equipped with CarPlay, Alfa Romeo corporate has provided exactly ZERO information about when the software will be provided to those who bought 2018s before the software was built in at the factory.

I love my Alfa. I expect a promise from a corporation to be honored. I also expect reasonable communications about when the promise will be fulfilled. All of this expectation is on ALFA, not on the dealers.

This is a serious breach of promise so far. Alfa needs to fix this now.
Kent,
There are a few threads on this topic.
Here's one:
http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/4...ple-car-play-android-auto-cost-200-300-a.html
I have been trying to stay abreast of the issue since I took delivery of my MY18 in November. I too am frustrated with FCA concerning this. I have been in contact with the ALFA ROMEO CUSTOMER CARE folks at their 888# several times in the last couple of weeks about a manuals issue.
http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/7...-information-entertainment-system-manual.html
The latest response from them is that the ACP-AA firmware will be available for installation "mid to late March 2018". What really bothers me is the fact that FCA has been installing the firmware at US ports, onto MY18s, for many weeks now. If they can do it at the ports, why not at the Dealerships? Heck, I'd even drive to my closest port (Sparrows Point, MD) to have it done there! I've asked, it's not an option. As much as I am looking forward to this feature, not having it (yet) really doesn't bother me too much. ALFA - Just drive it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My dealership tells me some cars have it operational and some dont. I dont know if mine has it until i pick it up tomorrow. I will let you know.

·
Registered
12 Posts

Kent,
There are a few threads on this topic.
Here's one:
I have been trying to stay abreast of the issue since I took delivery of my MY18 in November. I too am frustrated with FCA concerning this. I have been in contact with the ALFA ROMEO CUSTOMER CARE folks at their 888# several times in the last couple of weeks about a manuals issue.
http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/7...-information-entertainment-system-manual.html
The latest response from them is that the ACP-AA firmware will be available for installation "mid to late March 2018". What really bothers me is the fact that FCA has been installing the firmware at US ports, onto MY18s, for many weeks now. If they can do it at the ports, why not at the Dealerships? Heck, I'd even drive to my closest port (Sparrows Point, MD) to have it done there! I've asked, it's not an option. As much as I am looking forward to this feature, not having it (yet) really doesn't bother me too much. ALFA - Just drive it.
As far as firmware updates taking place at US ports, this gives credence to the speculation that this update requires equipment that the dealers don't have. So it is either a money issue or just plain lack of availability of the equipment. The dilemma MIGHT be that does Alfa have some of the dealers who have the equipment to update, or wait until all the dealers have the equipment. Another possibility is as soon as the US cars in transit to port have CarPlay already enabled, there may be a traveling road show to dealers with the equipment.

I am a big Apple nut, but I just bought a cheap iPhone holder that goes in the cupholder. Functionally I'm fine. Full disclosure though - I leased a base sport Alfa (27 months) because my "dream car" (at least for right this minute) includes a manual transmission. My "dream car" would include CarPlay, so I would be disappointed if I was still waiting for it. But this is not my "dream car", and I'm really enjoying driving it, while waiting.

·
Registered
630 Posts
My dealership tells me some cars have it operational and some dont. I dont know if mine has it until i pick it up tomorrow. I will let you know.
We know this already. What we want to know is when cars that are pre-wired for ACP will get the software update we've been awaiting.

·
Registered
573 Posts
The window sticker that came with mine says "Pre Wired" and the salesman didn't know if it was installed or not. I picked mine up the first part of Feb. I plugged my phone in and AA works and ACP works with the wifes iPhone. I am still unable to pull up my window sticker online and the build sheet has not been updated.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Don't expect that Alfa is playing the long-game here. They've been in a fight for survival for decades now and they're still just barely hanging on. There's a chance Alfa Romeo will be a defunct brand before early 2018 Giulia owners get Apple Car Play working in their cars.
I don't think Sergio would invest 5 billion in Alfa Romeo if he had any intention to kill the brand

·
Registered
630 Posts
I don't think Sergio would invest 5 billion in Alfa Romeo if he had any intention to kill the brand

Of course that’s not his intent. I just don’t think he can save it. The $5B spent mostly on developing the Giulia and Stelvio. Two good cars no doubt. It’s everything else that suffers.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
FWIW: Android Auto works in my Sept 2017 build, 1/31/18 delivery MY2018 Giulia. Have you tried it to see if it is functional in your car?

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
FWIW: Android Auto works in my Sept 2017 build, 1/31/18 delivery MY2018 Giulia. Have you tried it to see if it is functional in your car?
I'm also a 9/2017 build with working CarPlay.

I don't know any of the transatlantic details, but it rolled off a car carrier at my dealership here in MI on Jan 18, '18.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts