Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another forum member has mentioned that their Giulia doesn't have that "new car smell" and actually referred to their new car smell as "noxious". I have to agree, so some extent, as my car did not have the new car smell I expected and definitely not the leather smell that almost everyone loves. I wouldn't describe the smell as "noxious" but it was a bit disappointing. I'm wondering if Alfa uses a different tanning process on their leather in their trimmed interiors. After 8,000 miles my car now probably smells more like me than a car (a good thing?) but once I've pushed the button I'm more involved with the fun of driving it than any olfactory input.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Mine has never smelled "noxious" but I don't think the "new car smell" was as strong as I'm used to from past experience. Smelled fine just not strong. Actually a good thing as new car smell is mostly off-gassing polymers; probably not the most healthy thing (not that I've ever worried about it one way or another).

·
Registered
448 Posts
My car had a very strong new car smell and I never smelled the "noxious" smell that some users have reported. Mine is a MY18 and I think there was a fix for the "noxious" smell issue.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Mine had the faint odor of new car, but not the smack you in the face smell you normally expect. I have no issue with that as the smell is as stated above...polymers/plastics. That normally means you have to clean the car windows inside for months before it stops. I got the point on previous cars where I would leave them out in the hot sun with the windows cracked to help speed up that process under the windows stopped fogging up with evaporated plastic...

·
Registered
2017 Vesuvio Grey Giulia Ti Q2
413 Posts
Mine smelled like a combo of new car and stale cigarettes.

·
Registered
189 Posts
When brand new it was smelling bad thru the vents from engine area plastic coatings burning, it went away over time, also there some kind of fix for this as well.

Aside from that, the smell brand new and a year later is very neutral, not typical new car smell, the hides must be strongly chemically cleaned, they might as well be MB-Tex (mercedes vinyl), also they don't feel very leather like (standard base interior) but are fine by me.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
My QV smelled like a cross between fresh automotive paint and a freshly dropped clutch... I kinda liked it. It still has it faintly after 1500 miles now but it’s slowly dissipating...

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
My car had a very strong new car smell and I never smelled the "noxious" smell that some users have reported. Mine is a MY18 and I think there was a fix for the "noxious" smell issue.
S/W update?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Another forum member has mentioned that their Giulia doesn't have that "new car smell" and actually referred to their new car smell as "noxious". I have to agree, so some extent, as my car did not have the new car smell I expected and definitely not the leather smell that almost everyone loves. I wouldn't describe the smell as "noxious" but it was a bit disappointing. I'm wondering if Alfa uses a different tanning process on their leather in their trimmed interiors. After 8,000 miles my car now probably smells more like me than a car (a good thing?) but once I've pushed the button I'm more involved with the fun of driving it than any olfactory input.
I noticed this as well - it's not 'bad' it's just noticeable.

I did however sat in a new QV the other day and it smelled like a new car should- the only obvious difference is that the QV had leather dash. I got a TI-sport with standard dash.

PS at least it doesn't smell like Prosciutto. ;)

·
Registered
576 Posts
My Quadrifoglio smelled of burning oil in the first 1,000 miles or so, but after that, never got a whiff of it ever again. Likely just a combination of cosmoline on the engine burning off and oil during the break-in period. It is a short-lived phenomenon, so not to worry.

Reactions: Bender

·
Registered
118 Posts
I too had the smell, but it was a familiar smell.. I had a Fiat 500 Abarth which after oil changes would have what I call the Fiat Fart.. when you pushed her hard.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I had the wonderful new car smell, but occasionally when the A/C was on, I also got a weird, not so good smell. But it went away after 1000 miles

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
I had the wonderful new car smell, but occasionally when the A/C was on, I also got a weird, not so good smell. But it went away after 1000 miles
I still occasionally get the weird not so pleasant smell when I run the AC. 4K miles and7 months later.....

·
Registered
402 Posts
I still occasionally get the weird not so pleasant smell when I run the AC. 4K miles and7 months later.....
Same here. The recommended fix was to replace the factory washer fluid with Mopar fluid. The plastic odd smell still occurs, but have heard 3rd hand that this fixed it for some.

I also had what someone called the "Fiat Fart," where the smell of burning oil/gas enters the cabin. At 3K miles this is still occurring. This should never happen, IMO.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Changing washer fluid fixed a stinky A/C?? How does that work???

1 - 20 of 27 Posts