Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I arrived in the US two weeks ago and have been two two Alfa dealers with the intention of leasing a Giulia. Both dealers have done the dance with me and despite me asking them repeatedly if my credit history (or lack thereof) would be an issue, they have negotiated and then while I am sitting in the chair waiting for the lease figures the finance dude comes out and says "no can do".

This is not an affordability issue. It is solely my lack of US credit history. VW, Audi and BMW all have programs for new arrivals. I can go out and lease a Golf GTI, 3 series etc. in the morning but would prefer the Alfa by a country mile.

Hoping a dealer or someone with Alfa can weigh in here and help me out. I am on the verge of buying another Golf GTI. :|

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Welcome!

Went though this fun 10 Years ago...If you have a job, get a credit card asap and start building credit. Pretty much everything is on credit numbers here. Check and see if you need a US license to lease too as that'll be the next thing. Think you'll find this in most places
good luck!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I am a bit gutted tbh because if I can't get the lease on the Giulia, I will have to buy a BMW or a Golf GTI (although I am veering towards the Golf as they are great value). This means I won't be in an Alfa for at least two years which saddens me.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
that would sadden me...! Maybe just look at is as a time to save up for a QV instead ;) I'd probably go Golf too, least it'd be fun on a track and it's an Audi S3 with a different body kit :D

Just watch on the license though as you're staying here for a few years... insurance will soon be expecting a swap to the very easy driving test and lovely written test demanded as by your home state but don't surrender yours!

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Thanks! I am a bit gutted tbh because if I can't get the lease on the Giulia, I will have to buy a BMW or a Golf GTI (although I am veering towards the Golf as they are great value). This means I won't be in an Alfa for at least two years which saddens me.
www.expatride.com

http://www.intlauto.com/

try these out...
add Volvo to your list of dealers....and there are some FORD dealers depending on location...ie: in my area LOTS of expats
Good Luck

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
www.expatride.com

http://www.intlauto.com/

try these out...
add Volvo to your list of dealers....and there are some FORD dealers depending on location...ie: in my area LOTS of expats
Good Luck
Autosource will only deal with you before you enter the US and their leases are pricey. I mailed expatride last week. They have contacted me about mortgages and credit cards but not about the one thing I contacted them about. A car!!

I might give Ford a try but they don't lease the focus RS from what I have heard.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For anyone reading this in the same position as I am. FCA do have a program for new arrivals similar to the one that VW and BMW have. Just that dealers are not bothered to look it up for the most part. I have had my lease approved, now just need to find a car. Which is proving to be a pain in the ass because the dealer is trying to pitch me a low spec model for my lease figures. Apparently I am not entitled to any of the rebates...

So if you are in a dealer and they tell you that they can't get you a lease due to a lack of US credit history. Tell them to contact Chrysler finance. It is entirely possible.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Good find Adhere. Don't let them low spec you. Maybe some history from overseas could help too? With 2017s sitting on the lot, you should be able to get your choice.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Good find Adhere. Don't let them low spec you. Maybe some history from overseas could help too? With 2017s sitting on the lot, you should be able to get your choice.
Yeah tbh I am thinking of starting to look around now that I know I have approval. There was talk of me taking an 18" sport appearance one which is not what I want at all. They are looking for my preference in fairness to them, which is an 19" TI, Misano with nav and the leather pack.

I am honestly over buying a car in the US at this stage and just want a bloody car on the drive. I hate this game of talking absolute b*llox about price for three weeks just to end up at the price that you knew you would get anyway. And then there is the mountain of calls from all the dealers that you have gone to. TBF the dealer I am in the process of buying with now is really nice but the lack of movement on price is a bit ropey.

Anyway, when I get it I will post a few pics. I have to travel back home in two weeks so it may be the end of the month before I pick one up but it is happening at long last.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Great, hang in there and look at what shows up at other dealerships. Good luck on your trip.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts