Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you warm up the car in the morning? - just 2 clicks on the key fob.
Is it better for the engine / transmission?
Block heater is a $150 option, anyone have it on your Giulia and use it over night?

·
Registered
203 Posts
I always warm up my cars a bit before moving off and drive like an old lady until fully warmed up. I liked John Muir's recommendation that the time it takes to roll a cigarette is the perfect warm up timer. Though I don't smoke anymore, I do take the time to check gauges, locate sunglasses, connect phone, buckle seat belt, check mirror adjustment, etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
I give it 30 sec or so to get the lubrication throughout the engine before I start moving. Then like Greg I take it easy until I see a few bars on the engine temp gauge. Living in Ca. no need for a block heater.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I do about the same as Greg Stidsen does. I give it about 30 seconds to warm up and let the oils circulate through the engine before I put it in reverse and back out of the garage. I then basically idle on my way out of the neighborhood until I reach the main road, which takes another minute or two. I drive real easy until I see the first temperature bar show up on the gauge. Easy, gentle acceleration. I don't do anything more serious until I see at least 2 bars on the gauge.

The only time I change the above is when temps get below freezing in the garage. Then I wait maybe a full minute before putting it in reverse and backing out. At that time I also have the seat heater on 3 bars and the steering wheel heater on.

If I'm at work and come out at the end of my shift and see the car covered in snow and/or ice, I get in, start everything up including defrosters, seat and steering wheel heaters, then get out and clear said snow and/or ice from the windows. That usually takes me at least a minute; especially if there's ice on the windows. It takes a bit for the defrosters to loosen the ice up enough to move it off. After I get back in the car, I usually wait at least another minute before putting it in gear and moving the car. The fluid in the trans needs to warm up too.

I know the new cars are built much better than the old cars, and the new synthetic fluids are much better, but I still prefer to be safe rather than sorry, and let it warm up properly.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,904 Posts
I follow the instructions when I can: start the engine and go immediately and slowly. I believe this results in the least wear and tear on the engine as well as least fuel use and least smog produced. Yes, it doesn't shift well until the engine idle is normal. If I lived next to a freeway on ramp my behavior might be different. When things have frosted up I have to run the engine enough to defrost things.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I give it about 30 seconds (I cringe when my wife only gives it about 10 seconds), but like Lockem said, we can start moving immediately while taking it easy. I feel the time I give (although short), is enough and can't harm the engine.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,758 Posts
I've never used my car's block heater (temperatures didn't dip that low this winter) and rarely idle for more than 30 seconds before driving.

Reactions: ybba

·
Registered
573 Posts
I have always waited for the engine to idle down after start up before putting the vehicle into gear. Yes, it is not good for the engine to idle for long periods of time, but you should also waiting for the oil to warm up as well. The first car I bought when I was still in high school was a 1970 Pontiac Tempest. The care had been sitting for a number of years before I bought it, I think in '87. After they parked it they would started on a regular basis and let it idle for a while. I think the did this until they couldn't get the car to start one day, not sure how long this went one. When I got it I had to tow it to a buddy's shop. When we pulled the Cam shaft out the lobs were all but gone and the you could hold almost a teaspoon of water in the bottom of the lifters. New cam and lifters and she ran pretty good. Then I went from the 350 to a 400 and that weekend on my way home total it.

Reactions: ybba

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well, first off I warm it up by living in Florida.
My start up procedure is to slowly coast out of the garage, start closing the garage door behind me and wait until it hits the ground. Since I almost always have the exhaust bypass open, I slowly move down my street until I move out about a quarter mile to where the neighbors don't know me and then I apply the gas. By this point I hope that oil is moving and I can slowly ramp things up until I see the engine temp is showing a few bars.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.