Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
http://fcauthority.com/2017/06/alfa-romeo-giulia-sales-off-to-a-slow-start/

According to this article, sales have not been stellar...... but sometimes AR defies logic......
My 2c is along the same lines as the second comment. In my opinion the EU market you have the plus where it's a known brand but the negative where it's a known brand. For me and i'll repeat myself for the 100 time, I wouldn't have even considered an Alfa in the past and wouldn't have done if I was still in England. To this day i'm shocked i'm now considering two. Maybe that's your fault... ;D

The growth in the US seems impressive and the ad's are going double time. I think they'll make good in terms of sales, it's a tough market to crack. Working in prestige though I'll refer to the horrible triangle model. You need the cash cows in the cheaper sectors to be able to support the high price of the aspiration. Generally the aspiration cars make nothing while the lower performers pick up the brand. Point being, once they can shift a load of the lower models (and they're not here yet!) that's when I would expect to see it.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Still gotta give them a little time, it's only now that they have a model that's bringing them back to light. Even when the 4C was out, nobody knew what the heck an Alfa was. Wait until they really start pushing the Stelvio out there and there in two different segments, they'll start really coming around.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I doubt they raise prices for the Giulia 2.0 - if anything based on the inventories I see dealers accumulating I would anticipate a leasing push that goes fall through winter. That's how high volumes of units are moved in this segment: 3 year leases. Maybe MSRP gets tweaked a few hundred here or there, but overall I'd anticipate the monthly lease cost to become more attractive.

For the QV I would not be surprised if prices increase a bit.. Seems that supply is so limited that most cars are sold before they hit the dealer lots.. And it seems that most Quad buyers would have paid a couple $k more.

I view the Stelvio similar to the F-Pace.. it can revitalize the entire brand if it's a success.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,670 Posts
IMHO (warning: rambling): the subcompact and compact economy car segment is about to get taken over by electric and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles with self driving capabilities (thus, no attempt at a ramp-up of MiTo or Giuletta). Over the next few years it is the SUV, performance, and luxury segments that will retain internal combustion engines for primary motive power. Even then, note that Tesla has an electric luxury SUV and an electric luxury sedan in their offering that are selling well in spite of very high prices.

A standard Giulia sits on the low-end of the performance car scale while the Quadrifoglio sits in the middle of the pack. Both are probably the best per dollar performance, but that is not really what the average buyer is looking at. The low end of the performance scale is where the volume lies, but it also seems that "Joe average" is looking more for comfort than performance. Apparently many drivers want a brand known for performance, but a vehicle that is comfy and in reality don't care much about actual performance of the machine that they own. Why do you think that Audi and BMW offerings in this segment today have soft suspension and relatively numb steering? It's not because Audi and BMW don't know how to make a better car, it is because they are making what sells best.

Anyway, I think Giulia caters a bit too much to enthusiasts (like most of the people on this forum) to be able to capture a big market share. I like it that way, at least as long as the brand stays alive. Prices may need to go up to stay alive, and probably would not change sales much.

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
Dottore I'm surprised at you...:grin2:
Alfa sales in Europe are not a great indicator for one reason....the Giulia in Europe is an expensive car!!....It is cheaper for an Italian, if they could, to buy the Giulia here, loaded and then ship it back....when you add in the VAT...especially if you are talking Quad. ie my car in Italy is 90k Euro before VAT
Italian's are not buying this in droves because of cost and the economy in Italy....
Here in the states you have 2 issues...the biggest being no good lease deals!....i would venture that 8 out of every 10 BMW or Merc is leased...
the American consumer generally does not buy their new vehicles...
second has to do with getting brand out there...and for Alfa to start to act like the other European auto dealers in the USA....know your product...take care of your customer the Stelvio has to be the horse that pulls the cart...much like the Cayenne did for Porsche
Be patient....:grin2:

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
they wouldn't allow that easily :D

i'll tell you now the EU is as anal as the US is bringing in cars. My in-laws took a car over to Croatia and they're jumping through hoops

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dottore I'm surprised at you...:grin2:
Alfa sales in Europe are not a great indicator for one reason....the Giulia in Europe is an expensive car!!....It is cheaper for an Italian, if they could, to buy the Giulia here, loaded and then ship it back....when you add in the VAT...especially if you are talking Quad. ie my car in Italy is 90k Euro before VAT
Italian's are not buying this in droves because of cost and the economy in Italy....
Here in the states you have 2 issues...the biggest being no good lease deals!....i would venture that 8 out of every 10 BMW or Merc is leased...
the American consumer generally does not buy their new vehicles...
second has to do with getting brand out there...and for Alfa to start to act like the other European auto dealers in the USA....know your product...take care of your customer the Stelvio has to be the horse that pulls the cart...much like the Cayenne did for Porsche
Be patient....:grin2:
Just trying to throw some hints to any AR representative that might following this forum:grin2:

I did place my order today for the MY18 Q, but pricing increase have still to be divulged to the consumer.... sooooooo.........

I just took a leap of faith.......0:)

Reactions: MDriver

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Reactions: FNM

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
ignore me, I've had a few beers... late night working/classless - i'm sure they won't raise your price... besides you don't piss an Italian off with an Italian car... that's like sipping my beer.. :D

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Party on....... you already own a Giulia......:grin2:

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
I know but I have a vested interest for the future... they best not raise the prices... OI ALFA!!... ;)

·
Registered
440 Posts
The regional rep for AR that we spoke with said there will be some increase but "not much, maybe $100-200". It seemed it would be across the board from the base MSRP to the available options. So it may not be bad but then again, they raised the carbon brakes from 5500 to 8000 during production. Ouch.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Just trying to throw some hints to any AR representative that might following this forum:grin2:

I did place my order today for the MY18 Q, but pricing increase have still to be divulged to the consumer.... sooooooo.........

I just took a leap of faith.......0:)
Same here, put down my deposit today for a Giulia Ti Sport, with mystery pricing.

Market conditions are working against FCA and Alfa Romeo, I doubt they would do anything to disrupt Giulia sales growth by raising the prices even an insignificant amount. I already wasn't happy about being forced into adding Navigation on my build as it is a required option right now as soon as you pick Sport or Lusso packs on a Giulia Ti. Not to mention I still can't get the bright 5 holes on the Ti, even though they've got photos and text of that option plastered in various parts of their website, brochure, and features availability PDF since February.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
$2300 ....

That's a pretty significant uptick....True that ordering my Quad was an interesting process.....I wanted the upgraded Stereo and Collision Avoidance stuff but really didn't want Ceramic brake option....however, I couldn't opt out.....for $ 8 K, I better not have to do rotors forever !!! ....and my other pet peeve....at this price point, 3 years service should be part of the deal....D

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
Ccb

The brakes unfortunately were always underpriced at 5500 when compared to everyone else they just woke up
The Quad is the hot number for them so they must feel they can up the ante a bit
What they still don't get though is the ordering and fulfillment aspect is for crap with them. They are genuinely clueless as to how to take care of their customer from that aspect and lack of good lease offers. They need to right the ship in that regard if they hope to raise sales numbers or risk losing the US market

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just got off the phone with the dealer just to find out that the AR ordering site has been down all day....
Nice customer service......

At this point, if I don't have the order in on Monday I will opt for a 997 GT3....

Reactions: 407Guy
1 - 20 of 75 Posts