Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this from my salesman out of nowhere today via texted. Thought I would post it here under a new theard to hopefully make it easy to find. Not sure exactly how it translates to the Base and Ti. Should mostly other than the torque vectoring and exhaust. And not sure one the active suspension in D for the Ti.

Attachments

Reactions: Max and Tyresian

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hmmm so in Dynamic Mode the traction control has higher threshold. Wonder what exactly that means in terms of numbers.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,438 Posts
Opened (slowly) for me. I wonder how the Ti's active suspension settings compare.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I can’t download it either. Really would
Like to see it though if anyone is able to post the data or a new pic.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not sure what the deal is. I tried attaching it again.

Attachments

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, emailed the pic to my work email and saved the file and reattached. Hopefully that will help with the issue of opening the Pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Almost. For me (q4, performance), if I am steady on the throttle, when i switch to D I think it drops a gear and revs a bit higher.
Same here. MY18. It would really be nice to have the Race Mode for Ti Sports at least.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,721 Posts
Oddly it looks like the "N" and "A" are almost the same.

For the QV A mode enables fuel saving cylinder deactivation. Also in A mode the car will sometimes shift to neutral on the highway and let the engine idle.

In my Q4 I notice a lot of slow responses to driver inputs.

Switch from A to D takes 1-2 seconds.
Switch from D to A takes 3-4 seconds.
Car refuses to go into D8 in D mode.

When hitting paddles while in "drive" the first shift is fast but the second and subsequent shifts can take over a second each. Hitting the paddle repeatedly and rapidly does not improve this behavior.

I've tried manual shift mode and it is not much if any better. If the car decides that I am in the wrong gear in manual shift mode it will change the gear on its own (both up and down). This transmission is supposed to be a lot better than this; I think this is caused 100% by faulty SW programming.

My Subaru Crosstrek XV exhibits similar paddle shifter behavior, but Subie never made any claims that it is a performance oriented car.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oddly it looks like the "N" and "A" are almost the same.

For the QV A mode enables fuel saving cylinder deactivation. Also in A mode the car will sometimes shift to neutral on the highway and let the engine idle.

In my Q4 I notice a lot of slow responses to driver inputs.

Switch from A to D takes 1-2 seconds.
Switch from D to A takes 3-4 seconds.
Car refuses to go into D8 in D mode.

When hitting paddles while in "drive" the first shift is fast but the second and subsequent shifts can take over a second each. Hitting the paddle repeatedly and rapidly does not improve this behavior.

I've tried manual shift mode and it is not much if any better. If the car decides that I am in the wrong gear in manual shift mode it will change the gear on its own (both up and down). This transmission is supposed to be a lot better than this; I think this is caused 100% by faulty SW programming.

My Subaru Crosstrek XV exhibits similar paddle shifter behavior, but Subie never made any claims that it is a performance oriented car.
On the shifting you are seeing is not at all what I experience. In D mode it will shift into D8 at highway speeds. In Manual mode I have never had it shift on its own. I have hit the rev limiter a couple of times in first forgetting to shift or not being quick enough. When down shifting I am able to get it to drop down from say M7 to M5 without hitting M6 with 2 quick taps of the left paddle or M8 to M5 with 3 taps without it shifting through M7 and M6. Works great when you are coming up on a corner or want to pass. Never tried going from A to D or D to A, just don't see the point. When you are at highway speeds 60 a d above and in 8th gear it really doesn't matter what mode your in as far as how much gas you use.

·
Registered
7,721 Posts
On the shifting you are seeing is not at all what I experience. In D mode it will shift into D8 at highway speeds. In Manual mode I have never had it shift on its own. I have hit the rev limiter a couple of times in first forgetting to shift or not being quick enough. When down shifting I am able to get it to drop down from say M7 to M5 without hitting M6 with 2 quick taps of the left paddle or M8 to M5 with 3 taps without it shifting through M7 and M6. Works great when you are coming up on a corner or want to pass. Never tried going from A to D or D to A, just don't see the point. When you are at highway speeds 60 a d above and in 8th gear it really doesn't matter what mode your in as far as how much gas you use.
First, as I said my car refuses to go into D8 when in D mode (more specifically, at 60MPH). Secondly, in D mode the car is very aggressive about downshifting on every little rise on the road not upshifting at the end of the rise and that wastes a lot of fuel. When I want to pass I want the full power of the car, so then I want D mode. After I blast past some road boulder I want the car to coast back down to a legal speed, not stay stuck in D4 or D5 and engine brake away all of that energy that was put into passing. Hammering the paddles yields not more than 1 prompt upshift though (D or A mode); I end up losing 10MPH worth of speed when I should have lost 1MPH by coasting. I haven't tried shifting to neutral to override the sluggish transmission controls.

I know of no good reason why the car cannot or should not do what I want (shift as soon as I hit the paddle). It is simple enough to make happen with a manual transmission.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
First, as I said my car refuses to go into D8 when in D mode (more specifically, at 60MPH). Secondly, in D mode the car is very aggressive about downshifting on every little rise on the road not upshifting at the end of the rise and that wastes a lot of fuel. When I want to pass I want the full power of the car, so then I want D mode. After I blast past some road boulder I want the car to coast back down to a legal speed, not stay stuck in D4 or D5 and engine brake away all of that energy that was put into passing. Hammering the paddles yields not more than 1 prompt upshift though (D or A mode); I end up losing 10MPH worth of speed when I should have lost 1MPH by coasting. I haven't tried shifting to neutral to override the sluggish transmission controls.

I know of no good reason why the car cannot or should not do what I want (shift as soon as I hit the paddle). It is simple enough to make happen with a manual transmission.
Interesting that I am not observing the same things. It may just be a difference in driving styles, or the cars themselves. It also might be that I seem to "adapt" to how a car drives more than most people I know and the fact that I have not driven a manual since I owned a 1988 Chevy Beretta back in the early 90s.

I am happy with mine and learning more about it the more I drive it. Just got an email saying my V2 Intake is "Out for Delivery" so I am looking forward to getting that and getting it installed. It will have to wait until next weekend as I have some warranty work being done next Friday (all cosmetic stuff).

I hope you are able to work out the issues and get to where you can enjoy driving your Giulia.

·
Registered
7,721 Posts
Interesting that I am not observing the same things. It may just be a difference in driving styles, or the cars themselves. It also might be that I seem to "adapt" to how a car drives more than most people I know and the fact that I have not driven a manual since I owned a 1988 Chevy Beretta back in the early 90s.

I am happy with mine and learning more about it the more I drive it. Just got an email saying my V2 Intake is "Out for Delivery" so I am looking forward to getting that and getting it installed. It will have to wait until next weekend as I have some warranty work being done next Friday (all cosmetic stuff).

I hope you are able to work out the issues and get to where you can enjoy driving your Giulia.
I have no clue why we have different experiences, although this is the only automatic transmission car that I have ever called "mine" (my wife "owns" the Crosstrek, as well as the inherited Buick before that and the Oldsmobile before that--and in spite of the way that sounds she also prefers a stick). With a manual the actual shift time is noticeably larger than with this 2nd gen ZF8, but with the manual the car goes into exactly the gear I want when I want it to do so.

I find the downshift behavior manageable (although difficult when I want to engine brake) but the upshift behavior not at all what I expected from a car of this caliber.

I swear a lot at the Crosstrek when I need it to shift as it neither upshifts nor downshifts in a timely fashion. Nearby drivers can probably hear it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts