·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Grazie. :)

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Sorry.
Possibly the worst tutorial video that I have ever seen.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Watched this video, but did not follow all of the advice.
- Didn't use a pump to get out the oil. I never trust that it will get all of it from the sump. Plus too much of a pain to clean out the tubes and all that. Removing the under-engine pan to get access to the oil plug was not too bad with the car raised on a lift. Lots of screws, but with a driver they come out quickly. The oil plug is well designed in that it has 4 cross-drilled holes so that it can drain with the plug partially unscrewed. That way you don't get a flood of oil spraying in the wrong direction.
- Didn't use Amsoil. Got the factory recommended Pennzoil from Amazon for $9 a quart including shipping. Got the filter from moparonlineparts for $62. Ordered 2 to help defray shipping costs.
- It's nice that the middle tubes and airbox just pop off - no screws
- I did use a piece of wood to prop up the airbox rather than remove the one-time use clamps
- I didn't need an extension to get to the filter nut - just used a deep 32mm socket on a regular ratchet. The filter came out easily with no mess.
- I didn't reset the indicator since this is a mid-cycle change (15K). I'll reset it when I do the 20K with the multiecuscan.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Our family has three Mini's, well, sold one, so two now. I have changed filters on them, all turbo motors, easy. But NAPA gold filters are not compressed/pleated, where as the Mini ones are. If you cut the filter element from each, I am sure the wrinkled, compressed one will stretch out further, but I think in reality the crimp or wrinkle doesn't allow as much oil to pass, and hence, offers less actual filter element than the non-compressed ones. I would hope that some filter manufacturer has tested them to prove they filter more oil than the straight media ones. It is a lot easier to unwrap a cartridge element to inspect than cutting a metal can open. I always bleed when I have to cut a filter for inspection.

On some of my cars, I have sucked out the oil mid-change interval, leaving the filter in to the factory spec mileage. My son does have a lift in his garage, so it won't be difficult to remove the under tray, but the other day, sucked out the oil on my wife's new F Pace supercharger motor for an interval oil change, it has a metal tube in the fill exactly for that purpose. Without changing the filter, took all of about ten minutes to suck it out and refill and drop the hood back down.

However, I am leery of sticking my suction tube down into my Quad's sump to suck it out, least it break off. Mine is a Griot's Garage system, used without problems for years and lots of oil. Anybody have an opinion on this?

NV

1 - 5 of 5 Posts