Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
No, drain plug has a rubber washer attached to it. Did not leak, I guess if you over tighten you could destroy it.
A replacement sump plug, 55232574, comes with rubber washer attached and only cost me £4.70 at my local dealer, which is less than I've paid for just the washer on my 159 2.2JTS! I always have one handy in case the installed one gets damaged on removal or drops into the draining oil .

·
Registered
774 Posts
A replacement sump plug, 55232574, comes with rubber washer attached and only cost me £4.70 at my local dealer, which is less than I've paid for just the washer on my 159 2.2JTS! I always have one handy in case the installed one gets damaged on removal or drops into the draining oil .
Good idea.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Happy to report that the software Multiecuscan 3.8 (using windows 10 laptop) and ODB USB interface looks like it will work to reset oil service in 2 places,there is the infotainment data and in engine control module. Did not reset but connected to the modules.

Like this feature "High quality interface with OBD-microcontroller (Does not support the KKL-Mous) and galvanic isolation between vehicle and computer. A direct electrical connection between your vehicle and the PC does not exist. This will help protect your vehicle and your computer from damage that may occur by the vehicle electronics or computer. The galvanic isolation, the data transmission is improved"

https://electronic-fuchs.de/epages/e87b02f8-46da-4792-be6d-42392d89d882.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/e87b02f8-46da-4792-be6d-42392d89d882/Products/1000-8M-(0,3kg)

http://www.multiecuscan.net

·
Registered
774 Posts
If my post was not clear, there is 2 places that have to be reset.

1. Infotainment
and
2. Engine control module

·
Registered
647 Posts
GD, I see that now. Good find!
I searched the Castrol web site and did not find it.
Interestingly, the printed spec on the bottle is missing the S in GS1.
Mistake, or different spec?
Was this oil in stock, or a special order?
Available in what size jugs?
Prices?
Thanks,
You have a good eye Andy! This post is going back a few months but I saw it again just now and want to confirm that the Castro does not meet the Fiat/Giulia spec as I was told by Castrol Inc.

The info on the photo of the Castrol bottle, posted by Giovanni does not meet the correct Fiat spec!
The Fiat spec for the Giulia 2.0L is 9.55535-GS1 not 9.55535-G1. Why would Fiat have two specs so close I do not know but the Giulia specs ends in GS1 not G1. The G1 spec is quite common but the GS1 spec is for the Giulia only.

These is still much misinformation about the correct oil for the new Giulia's. I sent a PM to Alfa Romeo Cares over a month ago but no clarification yet.

·
Registered
647 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi all, what is the purpose of raising the rear of the car as well? Has anyone tried using Rhino Ramps to lift the front end, I assume ground clearance is an issue?

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
Hi all, what is the purpose of raising the rear of the car as well? Has anyone tried using Rhino Ramps to lift the front end, I assume ground clearance is an issue?
The car should be level when you check the oil level.

I checked the ramps that I previously used with my Protege and they just barely do not clear the front fascia of my Q4.

I bought a set of Jackpoint Jackstands. They take a little more time than ramps to get the car up, but the car is up and safe on stands once this is done.

·
Registered
125 Posts

I bought a set of Jackpoint Jackstands. They take a little more time than ramps to get the car up, but the car is up and safe on stands once this is done.

Ahh, I didn't think of the electronic oil level readout. This will be my first dipstick-less vehicle, will take some getting used to.

Havn't heard of Jackpoint Jackstands, I'll have to check those out.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #52

I checked the ramps that I previously used with my Protege and they just barely do not clear the front fascia of my Q4.

Hi lockem,

I wondered which jackpot jackstands you bought, the standard, low profile, or something else? How much clearance under the car when lifted? I used RV lynx levelers, drove up on 3-4 inch ramp made by stacking them. Still claustrophobic under there, and no good for tire rotation. I assume the lifting points are the steel puck like things under the car, right? Thanks for your reply,

John/jkoval

·
Registered
23 Posts
Unfortunately, there is no easy reset like other FCA vehicles. There actually are 2 monitors that need to be reset using the factory Wi-tech scan tool after the service. One monitor is the oil change monitor in the PCM module. It will also measure the oil level with the oil condition sensor during the reset, to make sure the level is correct and not over/underfilled. Then there is the reset of the maint minder in the instrument cluster module that shows the days and mileage until the next service, even though it is only displayed in the center display, not in the instrument cluster.

Both monitors are independent of each other. So depending on your driving habits you may get an "oil service due" message in your instrument cluster before the maintenance mileage, displayed in the center display, is actually reached.

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
Hi lockem,

I wondered which jackpot jackstands you bought, the standard, low profile, or something else? How much clearance under the car when lifted? I used RV lynx levelers, drove up on 3-4 inch ramp made by stacking them. Still claustrophobic under there, and no good for tire rotation. I assume the lifting points are the steel puck like things under the car, right? Thanks for your reply,

John/jkoval
Jackpoint Jackstands are cast aluminum. There is a lot of metal in them, so they are still fairly heavy at around 10 pounds each. You need a low profile floor jack that is not too wide to use them with Giulia. I bought the inexpensive jack from Harbor Freight that "JJ" recommended: part number 62326, which drops lower, lifts higher and is more reliable than HF's aluminum floor jacks.

I got the generic low profile pucks with rubber pad and steel locking pin. "JJ" should know which one is right as I made it clear that I needed something that would work with an Alfa Romeo Giulia.

The stand is about 12.25" tall and since the jackpoints on the car are slightly recessed that means you get about 12" of working space. You can get a bit more by either jacking up only 1 end of the vehicle (this will gain 1-3" for an oil change) or by making a hardwood block to put the jack stand on. If you go with the later only your floor jack limits the height, which for the above HF jack minus enough space to be able to lower the puck onto the stand means about 19" of clearance. It is possible to go higher but then you need to jack the car up in stages, which would be a pain. If you go the hardwood block route make certain your joinery and rabbiting skills are up to the task--I am surprised that JJ doesn't offer something.

IMO, if using a creeper to get under the car 12" is a little tight (although "perfect" for working on brakes or suspension), 19" is a little generous. Too much clearance and your arms will tire quickly unless you can stand under the car.

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
Unfortunately, there is no easy reset like other FCA vehicles. There actually are 2 monitors that need to be reset using the factory Wi-tech scan tool after the service. One monitor is the oil change monitor in the PCM module. It will also measure the oil level with the oil condition sensor during the reset, to make sure the level is correct and not over/underfilled. Then there is the reset of the maint minder in the instrument cluster module that shows the days and mileage until the next service, even though it is only displayed in the center display, not in the instrument cluster.

Both monitors are independent of each other. So depending on your driving habits you may get an "oil service due" message in your instrument cluster before the maintenance mileage, displayed in the center display, is actually reached.
Can MultiEcuScan reset both of them? Resetting the "oil service due" indicator was a major selling point of MultiEcuScan over the less expensive phone app and ELM327 adapter arrangement.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wow! I don't know. Even the factory Wi-tech Scanner has trouble resetting the oil life monitor sometimes. I do see that Multiecuscan supports a lot of Magneti Marelli modules.

As I'm fond of saying, "300 on black!"

·
Registered
774 Posts
I have Multiecuscan also, I remember reading somewhere in their doc's about the 2 places to reset. Will try on my next oil change (at 16k).

·
Registered
43 Posts
I guess the question I have is if a floor jack is used to lift the car from one of the four jack pads under the car, where do you place the jackstand on that corner. Or, do you lift from somewhere else with the floor jack and then put the jackstand under the jacking pads.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I guess the question I have is if a floor jack is used to lift the car from one of the four jack pads under the car, where do you place the jackstand on that corner. Or, do you lift from somewhere else with the floor jack and then put the jackstand under the jacking pads.

I have the same question.

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
You have a number of options, but putting a jackstand under some part of the car that was not designed for it it not one of them. The underside of my Etype was serious bent, obviously from someone putting a jack stand where it did not belong.

1) Drive the car onto ramps. Cheap and effective, but lifts only 1 end of the car and requires careful selection of the ramps due to clearance issues.

2) Use a shop lift. Not cheap and requires a high ceiling and a fair amount of floor space. There is a forum thread on this subject.

3) Dig a service pit under the floor. Very expensive, can have flooding problems. Is dangerous around children (fall hazard). Can increase Radon intrusion into the building.

4) Old school trick: leave the car on the jack and shove a sturdy wheel with inflated tire underneath it. The wheel is just there as emergency backup, do not lower the car onto it.

5) Jackpoint Jackstands: straddle your jack so that you can lower the car onto the stand using a common jack point. Patented, new (even the patent is new), and perpetually on backorder. Suitable for all kinds of service tasks, unlike 1), 3) or 4).

6) Jack the car up, then shove wood or plastic blocks under the wheel. Requires jacking the car up about 3" higher than the final height.

7) If push comes to shove, drive one side of the car onto a sidewalk so that you can slide under the car in the gutter.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts