Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Giulia Ti AWD oil change
September 13, 2017 - 4027 miles

My oil life monitor said another 151 days and 5595 miles until oil change needed. I take a lot of short 5 mile rides to work then back home. Maybe only a third of my miles are highway, perhaps not "severe service", but I was off yesterday so I thought I'd get to know the car better and change the oil. I'm saving my complimentary oil change service for closer to the 10000 mile mark.

Tools used
1. T27 bit to use with cordless driver to remove screws that retain the engine belly pan
2. T27 socket and 1/4” drive ratchet to reinstall the T27 screws by hand after the oil change
3. 13 mm ratcheting combination wrench (GearWrench) to remove oil drain plug or slim ratchet and short socket
4. 1/4” drive 13 mm 6-point socket and 1/4” drive torque wrench to tighten drain plug to 15 ft-lbs or 20 N-m.
5. Oil filter removal tool - mine is similar to vise grip in function
6. 0W-30 full synthetic oil that also meets European spec ACEA C2, C3 for exhaust system protection. Mobil 1, ESP (x1) 0W-30 meets spec as does Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0W-30, the OEM oil.
7. Mobil 1 oil filter M1-113A or the OEM Mopar MO-339 filter (OEM part no. 04892339AA).
8. oil drain pan or graduated plastic bucket, paper towels, nitrile gloves; plastic bag, cardboard or newspapers for garage floor protection
9. 20 Lynx Levelers (RV leveling blocks) to make ramps for front tires and thin camper ramps for rear tires to raise car 4.5 inches and makes job possible. (More lift would make it easier for belly pan removal and reinstallation)
10. wheel chocks

Procedure
1. Drive car to warm up oil to operating temperature.
2. Raise car on a lift and make it safe, drive over pit, or drive up on suitable ramps. I used 10 Lynx levels per side for front ramps (4.5”) and slim camper leveling ramps for 3” or so rear wheel lift. Put transmission in Park, set parking brake, chock rear wheels. Safety first!
3. Remove the engine belly pan by removing 19 fasteners (per Alfa Romeo diagram) using T27 bit and cordless impact driver or with hand tools.
4. Remove the seven screws in front of the belly pan (see diagram) and work toward the rear, ending with two screws on each side near the wheel arch trim.
5. To remove pan, slide it toward front of car a couple inches to help disengage it from the edges of the wheel arch covers, lower the rear edge of the pan, then slide pan toward the rear of the car to disengage it from the front air dam lip where it was held by 7 of the 19 total screws.
6. Remove oil drain plug with 13 mm gear wrench ratcheting combination wrench or slim socket wrench and short/non-deepwell socket. Examine red rubbery washer, replace if torn, worn, thin or looks funny (about $9 from AR dealer). Mine was fine.
7. When oil flow slows, remove the filter using oil filter wrench. Be sure the gasket comes with it.
8. After all oil is drained, replace the drain plug, torque to 20 N-m (15 ft-lb) using 1/4” drive torque wrench and 6 point 1/4” drive
10. socket.
11. Install new oil filter, torque to 10 ft-lbs, or hand-tighten per instructions on the filter (gasket contact plus 3/4 turn for the Mobil 1 filter; contact plus 3/4 -1 turn for the Mopar filter).
12. Giulia oil capacity is 5.5quarts; fill with 5 quarts then add by 8 oz increments per the engine oil level monitor in the infotainment screen.
13. Start car, check for leaks. If none, reinstall engine belly pan by sliding front lip under the air dam where the 7 screws are, then gradually slide toward rear while guiding rear pan edge under the wheel arch trim on both sides. Fasten loosely with two screws on each side at the rear. Work forward, inserting screws by hand and leaving loose so belly pan can be adjusted if necessary. End with the 7 screws along the front edge of the pan. Tighten all by hand finger tight. Then tighten all by hand carefully with 1/4” drive ratchet with 3/8” drive adaptor to the 3/8” drive T27 socket.
14. Back car carefully down the ramps, and drive car and warm to operating temperature, check oil level on monitor and add by 8 oz. until full using oil level monitor.
15. Reset oil life monitor (what’s the secret?) or ask Alfa dealer. I posted here what I read somewhere "car ignition on but not running, depress accelerator pedal three times slowly pausing between each press then turn car off", but unfortunately it DID NOT WORK.
16. Congratulate myself, used $36 of the Mobil 1 oil which is normally $9.49 per quart but on sale at NAPA for $5.99 and $10 Mobil 1 filter.

My car is going in this evening for software updates tomorrow; I'm going to ask them to tell me the "secret handshake" to reset oil life monitor or to reset it with their computer. If you're claustrophobic find a way to raise car higher. The belly pan is right in your face, particularly at the rear of it where it tucks under the wheel arch trim. It's not so bad removing it, but kind of hateful to reinstall. Also, remove the screws and reinstall in a different order if you like. I just did what made sense to me after studying how the belly pan is overlapped by the air dam/under bumper in front and wheel arch trim in the rear. It's easier to move back and forth to free the rear up rather than the other way. Oh, all the usual disclaimers; this worked for me and I expect it would for you (caution claustrophobics) but use caution and work carefully, etc.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Tried to post pics and I can't for some reason now- missing security token? Ignore the blank after "9. " --I goofed somehow?! Will try pictures later.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I plan on doing my own oil changes myself, If anyone knows the secret to reset oil life, since the 3 press of pedal does not work, PLEASE TELL.

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
I plan on doing my own oil changes myself, If anyone knows the secret to reset oil life, since the 3 press of pedal does not work, PLEASE TELL.
I thought three pedal presses was to turn off traction control. So confused. :confused:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DIY oil change pics

Pics from oil change attached:

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will talk to the service manager and post his comments here later. He didn't know the torque specs, but he looked them up for me and called me back. I suspect he will be happy to pass on the info if it can be done without the service computer.

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
I thought three pedal presses was to turn off traction control. So confused. :confused:
It was 1 tap of the brake followed by three fast taps of the accelerator pedal to disable traction control.
Only the original report ever stated that it works and even then it disabled dynamic mode.

The timing of how to tap things and the speed and depth to which they are tapped may be important and may be driving the success and failure of various attempts to make these incantations work.

Giulia has plenty of other "tappable" switches, I wonder if there are any others that could do something "interesting"? The "obvious" switches for such creative interplay being the ones on the shift lever.

My Etype also had aero panels under the engine that had to be removed to change the oil. These panels are missing from most examples of these cars. I wonder how long before the panels start "disappearing" from Giulia? If you pay someone to change your oil, it would be a good idea to stick your head underneath and check before driving off.

Besides making maintenance a pain, panels like this restrict engine compartment air flow and direct said hot air to the front of the passenger compartment. I'm not sure to what extent the missing panels on Etypes was a symptom of laziness and to what extent it was to improve heat management.

My Protege has a "trap door" in the small panel that forms part of the shroud for the radiator. This allows draining the radiator without removing the panel. I wonder if something like that could be done for Giulia to make an oil change less time consuming.

It is best to start each of these fasteners by hand in order to prevent cross threading. If they are self tapping and screwed into plastic or sheet metal, this can be fiddly and if not done will strip out the hole after a while.

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
It was 1 tap of the brake followed by three fast taps of the accelerator pedal to disable traction control.
Only the original report ever stated that it works and even then it disabled dynamic mode.
Um, I was making a small joke.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn't arrive at Bob Boyd Alfa Romeo service until 5:30, but service manager was still there. He hooked up an iPad to the OBD2 port to check in the car. He told me there were 11 RRTs, most of them software. There was also the glove box door replacement, a seal on one of the coolant lines, and application of some plastic film somewhere to keep something from rubbing on a wire and causing a problem. He said he had all the parts on hand so it would all be taken care of tomorrow. I didn't want to keep him after hours even longer today, but I will get more details about the RRTs tomorrow when I pick the car up. The service manager apologized because the drop off procedure is "usually more smooth", but I thought it was no trouble at all, and told him so. He also wrote a note on the service request form for the tech to detail how to reset oil life monitor. So we will see...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update on oil life reset: service manager called late Friday afternoon said everything was done except infotainment and navigation update and said "it's a big one, might be done by closing". Told him don't worry about it, working all weekend anyway. He did speak with the tech who said oil life monitor can only be reset with the computer, there's no combination of pedal presses, door open/close etc., to reset it. :-( He said tech will take care of it. On the good hand, I am getting the infotainment update, my VIN must have "made the cut"! Looking forward to more functionality and a better oil level monitor screen.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts

The timing of how to tap things and the speed and depth to which they are tapped may be important and may be driving the success and failure of various attempts to make these incantations work.
Maybe a dumb question ... but this is with the car on, and in drive right? Lol -- does a message come up on the screen?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Pics from oil change attached:
jkoval,
Thank you very much for your informative post.
Unfortunately, I must challenge your statement that the Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30 is an approved Fiat spec 9.55535-GS1 oil.
I have viewed the Mobil oils site and I have been unable to find any statement that the ESP 0W-30 oil is rated to the Fiat spec.
To my knowledge, the Giulia 2.0 turbo engine is supplied with Petronas Selenia Digitek Pure Energy 0W-30.
To this point, I have found 5 other branded oils that conform to the 9.55535-GS1 spec.
They are:
Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX
Shell Helix Ultra ECT
Fuchs Titan GT1
BP Formula Elite
BP Formula Select
Not to say that using the Mobil 1 ESP is not a viable choice, or that it will cause any harm, I just haven't found that it carries the Fiat spec.
Thanks again for your great post!

·
Registered
312 Posts
jkoval,
Unfortunately, I must challenge your statement that the Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30 is an approved Fiat spec 9.55535-GS1 oil.
I have viewed the Mobil oils site and I have been unable to find any statement that the ESP 0W-30 oil is rated to the Fiat spec.
To my knowledge, the Giulia 2.0 turbo engine is supplied with Petronas Selenia Digitek Pure Energy 0W-30.
To this point, I have found 5 other branded oils that conform to the 9.55535-GS1 spec.
They are:
Shell Helix Ultra ECT
Fuchs Titan GT1
BP Formula Elite
BP Formula Select
Not to say that using the Mobil 1 ESP is not a viable choice, or that it will cause any harm, I just haven't found that it carries the Fiat spec.
Castrol has an apprroved oil as well

·
Registered
1,388 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
jkoval,
They are:
Shell Helix Ultra ECT
Fuchs Titan GT1
BP Formula Elite
BP Formula Select
Nice thread and Photos!
Jkoval might be just fine with the Mobile 1 as you posted, but that sounds like too much work for me. I'll let the dealer do it. :D

I did check for both the Mobile 1 ESP 0W-30 and Castrol Edge 0W-30 and could not find a Fiat 9.55535-GS1 spec for either oil. They show ACEA-C2 and approvals for other brand specs but not for Giulia. I presume the oil for our Giulia Base and Ti need to have both the ACEA-C2 and Fiat 9.55535-GS1 specs?

The Selenia from the factory and now the Pennzoil Euro LX that I add as needed (only 4 ounces in 2500 miles to get it back up to 6 bars) both specifically state the Fiat spec. I'll check with my dealer service mgr to make sure that they are using the correct oil for future changes as he has already given me some incorrect info about the approved oil.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Nice thread and Photos!
Jkoval might be just fine with the Mobile 1 as you posted, but that sounds like too much work for me. I'll let the dealer do it. :D
I did check for both the Mobile 1 ESP 0W-30 and Castrol Edge 0W-30 and could not find a Fiat 9.55535-GS1 spec for either oil. They show ACEA-C2 and approvals for other brand specs but not for Giulia. I presume the oil for our Giulia Base and Ti need to have both the ACEA-C2 and Fiat 9.55535-GS1 specs?

Julia, I'd like to add:

Do we NEED to use only oils that state on their labels that they conform to Fiat Spec 9.55535-GS1 (2.0 engine), or, 9.55535-Z2 (2.9 engine)?
I'm sure that some could argue both sides of that question.
Would it be BEST to use the qualified oil?
Perhaps some might say that there is another brand of 0W-30 (2.0 engine) or, 0W-40 (2.9 engine) that is NOT certified with the Fiat spec, but is a higher quality engine oil and will serve our engines better. Perhaps.
To answer my (own) previous question, I would say, use the the oil that is approved by Fiat.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Castrol Syntec edge europeon formula
Yes conforms to Fiat Standard
Thanks for the feedback on Castrol. I checked before and again today after reading your post.
I can't find any sellers in the US of Castrol Syntec edge europeon in 0W-30 that mentions Fiat
spec 9.55535-GS1. Could you please give a link, PDF, source or quote from anyone selling this
specific oil for the Giulia 2.0L in the US that specifically list this spec. Can't buy it if we can locate it.

Thanks, Chuck :smile2:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Thanks for the feedback on Castrol. I checked before and again today after reading your post.
I can't find any sellers in the US of Castrol Syntec edge europeon in 0W-30 that mentions Fiat
spec 9.55535-GS1. Could you please give a link, PDF, source or quote from anyone selling this
specific oil for the Giulia 2.0L in the US that specifically list this spec. Can't buy it if we can locate it.

Thanks, Chuck :smile2:
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/castrol-edge-0w-30-full-synthetic-motor-oil-1-quart-06244/10148702-p?c3ch=PLA&c3nid=10148702-P&c3apidt=24654110297&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5Z-s6o631gIVW7jACh35-whxEAQYASABEgLLUfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

1 - 20 of 71 Posts