Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 TI Sport Q4
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting a thread dump on how Im doing my oil catch can.
@JeFizz not sure if this is the right category feel free to move at your discretion.

What is a oil catch can
I won't go in to do much detail as there is tons of information online about them. The general rundown is that they remove water, gas, oil, and contamination in vapor from your engines breather system.

Benefits of a oil catch can

Less buildup on valves
Cleaner combustion cycle
Sludge reduction

Parts needed
Oil catch can(need 5/8" fittings) can cannot be vented

5/8" high pressure hose this must have wire the runs though it and is designed for high pressure applications. High pressure fuel line works best but coolant hose is acceptable as long as it's high pressure.

4, 1" hose clamps

1" thermal wrap

How to install
Find a suitable location for the catch can to sit. Mine worked best in this position but yours may fit differently based off the design.
2. Remove engine cover and Factor hose. The factory hose uses a grey push button connection. Just squeeze it and GENTLY pull and it will come right off. DO NOT FORCE THE HOSE, THE BARBED ENDS OF THE INTERCOOLER AND VALVE COVER ARE PLASTIC AND CAN CRACK WITH FORCE
3.Cut 5/8" hose to size and install on the catch can side using the hose clamps to ensure there's a good seal.
4. Slide on thermal wrap and cut to length
5. Slide on oil catch can hose to intercooler barb and valve cover barb and use hose clamps to tighten. You want them snug but again don't use to much for as the fittings are plastic and can break.

More pictures inbound tomorrow

·
Premium Member
2018 TI Sport Q4
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's not the only location that needs to be addressed
Absolutely agree,

I actually have two oil catch can's from my previous build. I'll likely install the second one and update the thread.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Nice job @Tekgnome. Thanks for the thread. There is a couple of guys in the Forums that either upload their videos showing their DIY's or provide links to their YouTube's on the same jobs. Your post and pictures may be self-explanatory for many but, I am sure short videos, summarizing the key steps and key details will be very useful.

·
Premium Member
2018 TI Sport Q4
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Great thread @Tekgnome . I was not aware of a readily available solution @Saxman , do you have a link?

Reactions: Saxman

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I have read that Mishimoto is working on a catch-can system for the same/similar 2.0 engine in the Jeep chassis.

·
Premium Member
2018 TI Sport Q4
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have read that Mishimoto is working on a catch-can system for the same/similar 2.0 engine in the Jeep chassis.
It may not bolt up to our 2.0 multi air. The jeep cylinder head is different from ours and forgoes Multiair for a conventional dual cam setup.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Is there a reason why the oil catch can isn't an OEM device?. I assume that "... remove water, gas, oil, and contamination in vapor from your engines breather system...." is a good thing and that "... Less buildup on valves, Cleaner combustion cycle and Sludge reduction..." is even a better thing. So, why is not already there, OEM?

·
Premium Member
2018 TI Sport Q4
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is there a reason why the oil catch can isn't an OEM device?. I assume that "... remove water, gas, oil, and contamination in vapor from your engines breather system...." is a good thing and that "... Less buildup on valves, Cleaner combustion cycle and Sludge reduction..." is even a better thing. So, why is not already there, OEM?
"most" Car owners are idiots and wouldn't change the can.

Eventually the can will fill with sludge and can stop up or even worse you'd suck up a few oz of build up and destroy your engine.

Also, these cars do have three separate places where oil and contamination is removed before going to the breather. OEM thinks this is "good enough" as by the time you end up with build up issues your going to be well past the factory warranty and its no longer their problem.

·
Premium Member
2018 TI Sport Q4
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I am still not sure it is absolutely safe for the engine ???
Catch cans are 100% safe for our engines. People use them all the time on forced induction engines with great results.

Its espically important if your like me and are moving to a bigger turbo. I'll be pushing much higher than factory boost levels and want to make sure my combustion is perfect and not burning breather contamination.

·
Premium Member
2018 TI Sport Q4
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Stock connectors on the manifold and pcv plate. It also comes with the bracket to mount the can.

View attachment 115173
Does this kit have a oil level indicator?

One of my absolute requirements is a level indicator. My generic catch can has a dip stick the you can un screw to inspect.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The CC setup hasn't caused any hesitation or a CEL with over 5k miles of having it installed. @Tekgnome is right about the need and that's why I contacted Matt @ DM for a solution months ago.

@Triumph23 I don't see it on their website as of yet. Give them a call and ask for Matt or Farhan, they will get you setup with a kit.

Damond Motorsports
224-326-3770

·
Registered
77 Posts
Does this kit have a oil level indicator?

One of my absolute requirements is a level indicator. My generic catch can has a dip stick the you can un screw to inspect.
It does not. I've used MD multi can setups on previous builds (Mazda world) and never had issues. Obviously the rule is, change your oil.. empty the can(s).

Now with a hybrid turbo that you are looking to add I would suggest a CC setup on the CCV side. The stock system purges oil through it back to the intake and as you know, more pressure will only cause more oil to blow by. I'm sure Damond Motorsports can make us a kit for that side as well.

This is from when DM installed the first can, Matt checked the CCV side and said it's going to be a need if we ever swap to a larger turbo.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Thanks @Saxman . I have now moved from the 2.0 to the 2.9V6 but would like to explore the options for a CC on this engine as well given I plan to keep it for long.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thanks @Saxman . I have now moved from the 2.0 to the 2.9V6 but would like to explore the options for a CC on this engine as well given I plan to keep it for long.
I've been trying to find Matt a 2.9 to bring in house for a setup since I started. Any 2.9s near the Chicago area up for the challenge??

1 - 20 of 41 Posts