Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received the carbon fiber mirror covers from Madness Auto. These are real carbon fiber, not laminated plastic. They are one of the best form fitting mirror covers I have ever purchased. The bad news is that they do not snap into place like the OEM covers. As you can see some of the tabs are missing as compared to the OEM covers (fig 1). I ended up gluing these with silicone.

The removal of the covers are pretty straightforward. I used a auto trim remover. I found the best spot to pry it open was on the outermost end of the mirror (fig. 2 and 3). Once you get the initial snap, the rest of the mirror comes off quite easily. Replacement is the opposite- I aligned the lower and innermost mirror cover first and then aligned the top part. The last figure shows final fitting while the silicone is drying. Hopefully it will stick!

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
Thanks for this information. They do indeed look wonderful when fitted,. What a shame they dont snap into place like the originals. Its good however to have your feedback on this as many of us have been considering the Koshi CF parts for our QVs but at this stage are relatively in the dark when it comes to how one fits these pieces (i.e. interior trim bezels etc).

·
Registered
321 Posts
i would love to buy them but with out the tabs and having to silicon them in place kinda getting cold feet. will be a pain to return to stock cover. did you try contacting Madness before installing to tell them about missing tabs? on a positive note they do look good on car

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i would love to buy them but with out the tabs and having to silicon them in place kinda getting cold feet. will be a pain to return to stock cover. did you try contacting Madness before installing to tell them about missing tabs? on a positive note they do look good on car
I have ADD. Its Italian, silicone=sexy!

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,744 Posts
I have asked Madness for clarification.
It should be noted that Madness also sells MOPAR CF mirror covers; quite a bit more expensive though.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Just received the carbon fiber mirror covers from Madness Auto. These are real carbon fiber, not laminated plastic. They are one of the best form fitting mirror covers I have ever purchased. The bad news is that they do not snap into place like the OEM covers. As you can see some of the tabs are missing as compared to the OEM covers (fig 1). I ended up gluing these with silicone.

The removal of the covers are pretty straightforward. I used a auto trim remover. I found the best spot to pry it open was on the outermost end of the mirror (fig. 2 and 3). Once you get the initial snap, the rest of the mirror comes off quite easily. Replacement is the opposite- I aligned the lower and innermost mirror cover first and then aligned the top part. The last figure shows final fitting while the silicone is drying. Hopefully it will stick!
How has the mirror covers held up? They look awesome..... What type of silicone did you use? I think Madness was recommending using the 3M Window weld silicone?

·
Vendor
1,195 Posts
Hi Guys!

Thanks for the mention and the positive feedback.

Here is a little info to make all of you feel a bit better.

The mirror covers fit very well and as long as you epoxy them on correctly you should not have any issues. If for any reason you ever need to go back to stock you can always remove them. We used a bit of double sided tape and some epoxy on the sides to hold them in place. The key is good epoxy and some Blue Painters Tape to keep them in place while the epoxy cures. Usually if you do it in the evening, the next morning you are all good to go.

In regards to the stock tabs comments. You can't really do stock tabs in real CF. You simply do not have the flexibility of a plastic tab. That is why none of the mirror covers have the tabs in question. There are locating points to make it easier, but not tabs. They would simply snap off during the install process if they made them out of carbon.

There are some fake CF covers that may have tabs, but those are simply OEM plastic covers that have either a fake water transfer of a CF print or they are wrapped with CF Cloth.

Don't stress about the tabs. As long as you are careful and use half way decent epoxy you won't have any problems with fitment.

As always if you have any questions do not hesitate to call us. We have installed many of them on premises and have them on our own Giulia as well.

·
Vendor
1,195 Posts
Thanks for this information. They do indeed look wonderful when fitted,. What a shame they dont snap into place like the originals. Its good however to have your feedback on this as many of us have been considering the Koshi CF parts for our QVs but at this stage are relatively in the dark when it comes to how one fits these pieces (i.e. interior trim bezels etc).
Don't worry! We have shipped out a number of items to QV Owners all over the world and have not had any issues with fitment. We have also installed just about every part on our own Giulia.

What we would suggest is that if you have a QV give us a call directly (if you are in US) or email us. There are several interior pieces that we are doing as a Special Order for QV Owners that have a CF weave in a different pattern to better match the interior CF of the QV. Simply let us know you have a QV and which items you would like. We will double check to make sure the direction of the weave matches your factory carbon. It is a non issue, but for those that have some stock carbon on the center console. For those that do and want additional cf for the center console we do a special order weave in the same direction as the existing QV carbon.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Hi Guys!

Thanks for the mention and the positive feedback.

Here is a little info to make all of you feel a bit better.

The mirror covers fit very well and as long as you epoxy them on correctly you should not have any issues. If for any reason you ever need to go back to stock you can always remove them. We used a bit of double sided tape and some epoxy on the sides to hold them in place. The key is good epoxy and some Blue Painters Tape to keep them in place while the epoxy cures. Usually if you do it in the evening, the next morning you are all good to go.

In regards to the stock tabs comments. You can't really do stock tabs in real CF. You simply do not have the flexibility of a plastic tab. That is why none of the mirror covers have the tabs in question. There are locating points to make it easier, but not tabs. They would simply snap off during the install process if they made them out of carbon.

There are some fake CF covers that may have tabs, but those are simply OEM plastic covers that have either a fake water transfer of a CF print or they are wrapped with CF Cloth.

Don't stress about the tabs. As long as you are careful and use half way decent epoxy you won't have any problems with fitment.

As always if you have any questions do not hesitate to call us. We have installed many of them on premises and have them on our own Giulia as well.
I think what would be helpful is DIY video on how your mirror covers install. As you well know I purchased the CF mirror covers from you and had to return them. I tried and I also had St. Louis Auto Detail (they installed my spoiler) take a look at it. We just couldn't figure out a way that wouldn't require a ton of epoxy to hold the covers on. Also we could not find any where to apply any double stick tape cause there didn't seem to be any large contact surfaces that would support it. With those mirror covers just sitting on the mirror there was a space between the CF cover and the black trim of the mirror housing, there was no snug fit at all. So just a suggestion maybe a DIY video would help the community and would have prevented me from returning them. .

Also so you are stating that the Mopar OEM factory CF covers do or do not have the inside clips? and if they do in fact have the factory clips then you are stating that they are not real Carbon Fiber is that correct? If this is the case then why are they nearly twice as much as the Koshi one's you sell?

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
Wow! When I heard the CF didnt have any clips, it was a no go for me. As the pictures depict, there is not a big surface area to "glue" or use double sided 3M tape and feel comfortable enough that these things will not fly off. The mirrors take the wind full head on. I wouldn't risk it nor would I consider not having clips acceptable.

·
Registered
547 Posts
My thoughts exactly hardnock, the 2 things I was looking forward to the most was the CF mirror covers and the exhaust. I was really hoping that they would fit snug but they were very loose. I couldn't take the chance of them flying off. I hope Madness can do a DIY video to show the proper way to install those. I also know the factory ones are on back order and no ETA on them. For myself and peace of mind I have to have clips that hold them on just like my original white covers. I would be fine with CF covers like the ones in the pic that MacGeek posted. Having those clips and then maybe a dab of silicone just for reassurance and the thought of ever having to remove those covers if the mirrors need repairing with the amount of epoxy required I just couldn't take the risk. I will say they looked very nice, great quality carbon fiber covers.

·
Vendor
1,195 Posts
I think what would be helpful is DIY video on how your mirror covers install. As you well know I purchased the CF mirror covers from you and had to return them. I tried and I also had St. Louis Auto Detail (they installed my spoiler) take a look at it. We just couldn't figure out a way that wouldn't require a ton of epoxy to hold the covers on. Also we could not find any where to apply any double stick tape cause there didn't seem to be any large contact surfaces that would support it. With those mirror covers just sitting on the mirror there was a space between the CF cover and the black trim of the mirror housing, there was no snug fit at all. So just a suggestion maybe a DIY video would help the community and would have prevented me from returning them. .
This is where a phone call would have helped. We could have put our tech on the phone directly with your installer and could have assisted him.

There is really no issue with the installation of these. We have installed them on our own Giulia well over a month ago with with the daily temp of just about 100 degrees and over 1,000 miles we have not had ANY issues with them coming loose. We have also had the car up over 100mph and no problem.

We will try to do a video in the near future when we are installing another set locally, but our set is already on the car.

Guys we would love to do a video for every piece to make it easier, but with so many items it is not possible for us to do a DIY on some many pieces. Sometimes a phone call can really go a long ways if your installer has a question. We will be glad to help out and we will also try to get a short DIY done in the near future.

As an FYI... Koshi makes all their mirrors this way and so do most of the other companies that we have dealt with. We have installed similar covers (different models) on well over 100 cars and have shipped out 100's and do not really have issues with them coming loose or not fitting as long as basic installation is done correctly. To date we do not have a single cover that has ever been reported coming off and that is out of 100's and 100's of covers that we have shipped or installed.

·
Vendor
1,195 Posts
Sure you can have clips on real CF covers. You just bond plastic tabs to them. This photo depicts the Giulietta/MiTo/159/GranTurismo mirrors, but the Giulia ones will likely be built similarly. Not having clips is just lazy.
Thank you for your input.

We do not make the covers sir. We offer them to our fellow enthusiasts and assist with installation if needed.

The pictures you show for the other model have a different set of brackets than the Giulia. At this time there is no one that we are aware of that makes covers for the Giulia with the factory like clips. If the time comes that someone will and the product is good we will look in to offering them. For now what we can say is that the covers we offer from Koshi are of good quality, fit well and looks good. As far as the installation goes if you follow basic installation guides it is not a problem. If it ever becomes a bit of a challenge or you are not sure what to do simply call us we will be glad to assist so it is a non issue.

·
Vendor
1,195 Posts
Wow! When I heard the CF didnt have any clips, it was a no go for me. As the pictures depict, there is not a big surface area to "glue" or use double sided 3M tape and feel comfortable enough that these things will not fly off. The mirrors take the wind full head on. I wouldn't risk it nor would I consider not having clips acceptable.
There is plenty of area to properly secure the covers. Honestly we have installed these on many, many cars and have these on our own Giulia. We have had over a month of 100 degree temps, driven the car over 1,000 miles with them on and have had the car at over 100mph with zero issues.

·
Registered
547 Posts
This is where a phone call would have helped. We could have put our tech on the phone directly with your installer and could have assisted him.

There is really no issue with the installation of these. We have installed them on our own Giulia well over a month ago with with the daily temp of just about 100 degrees and over 1,000 miles we have not had ANY issues with them coming loose. We have also had the car up over 100mph and no problem.

We will try to do a video in the near future when we are installing another set locally, but our set is already on the car.

Guys we would love to do a video for every piece to make it easier, but with so many items it is not possible for us to do a DIY on some many pieces. Sometimes a phone call can really go a long ways if your installer has a question. We will be glad to help out and we will also try to get a short DIY done in the near future.

As an FYI... Koshi makes all their mirrors this way and so do most of the other companies that we have dealt with. We have installed similar covers (different models) on well over 100 cars and have shipped out 100's and do not really have issues with them coming loose or not fitting as long as basic installation is done correctly. To date we do not have a single cover that has ever been reported coming off and that is out of 100's and 100's of covers that we have shipped or installed.
I did call, I spoke to Ray and he told me to use a lot of outdoor silicone and 3m tape. Matter of fact I even questioned you on an open thread requesting what type of silicone to use. So you did not answer my question. Does the Mopar OEM CF Mirror Covers have the clips? I believe they do cause of MacGeeks posted pics. Also are you stating that the Mopar OEM CF covers are not real Carbon Fiber cause here's your quote;

"There are some fake CF covers that may have tabs, but those are simply OEM plastic covers that have either a fake water transfer of a CF print or they are wrapped with CF Cloth"

I just want to know cause I may purchase them in the future whenever they come available but I want to make sure you are stating facts that the Mopar OEM ones are fake?

·
Vendor
1,195 Posts
Also so you are stating that the Mopar OEM factory CF covers do or do not have the inside clips? and if they do in fact have the factory clips then you are stating that they are not real Carbon Fiber is that correct? If this is the case then why are they nearly twice as much as the Koshi one's you sell?

Not exactly. What we are saying is that all the previous OEM CF covers we have seen that retain the factory clips were the original plastic caps that were wrapped in Carbon Cloth and then clear coated.

Maybe Mopar will do something different for these, but as of now we honestly do not know since we can't ever get a reliable time frame for delivery from our suppliers. The dates, availability and pricing seem to continuously change on the Mopar Giulia accessories, so until we have stock and reliable time frames from the supplier we keep many of the Giulia Mopar parts listed as a "call for pricing and availability". Each time someone calls we reach out for a new update and update the customer with options.

Now as far as why are they nearly twice as much? We can't answer this for you unfortunately.

Our margins on the Mopar items is tiny, so it is definitely not because we or any other reseller is making a fortune off any of their products.

·
Vendor
1,195 Posts
1 - 20 of 78 Posts