Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I posted a thread about a cheap but nice armrest bin organizer tray:

http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/3...t-bin-organizer-amazon-buy-nice-surprise.html

I like it but I’ve never liked fumbling with cables and when I came across a right angle lightning cable on Amazon, which were only like $8 for a pair of them, I had an idea for a dock. They are actually useful for many applications because they limit excess cable protrusion in tighter spots etc. I figured that I could glue one of the connectors to the front of the tray so I shaved the back of the right angle lightning connector to get the proper angle and “tack welded” it to the front of the tray with some Bondic UV curing glue and when happy with the position layed down a bead of the Bondic and cured it and it works great. I might tweak it some more but for $15 for the bin tray and the $8 cables I have a dock I can slide my phone into and remove with one hand and no fumbling with cables as it’s always in the exact same place. Following are some photos of the procedure.

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,773 Posts
Very nice. Does the sound of jangling coins intrude?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah coins on hard plastic are a sure bet to click clack. I ordered some black moleskin to line the holders but if you fill up the coin slots snuggly they don’t make noise. I’ve found in the past on other similar situations garden hose washers help too.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
This is what mine looks like:

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thank you so much for this idea! I just did the same thing with the QV logo tray. I ended up spacing the plug up a little higher so the phone isn't resting on plastic, because I wanted to future-proof for a new phone or using a case. Hopefully it won't stress the phone's jack or the plug too much.

I hated my phone flopping around in the cupholder and/or I usually never bothered plugging it in. My family was getting irritated I wasn't noticing texts/calls and I was missing Apple music. Although now I'll need to get used to remembering the phone is in the console when I get out. I liked that the Kia Stinger wireless charger would trigger the car to beep and show a warning if one left the phone on the charging pad and opened the door to leave. Seems kind of silly, but it was a nice touch to avoid a ten minute walk back to the car from the office to get the phone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts