Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been contacting a number of dealerships around the country on the following car:

• Giulia Ti
  • Competizione Red
  • Sports package

One dealer offered 8% discount on MSRP (including incentives) on the above for a price of about $42k

Another recently gave an initial offer to discount by 13% off MSRP (including incentives) on that model which also has a moonroof and upgraded audio. Discounted to about $43k before fees.

Both are out of state.

What's the discount you received on 2018 models, what's good?

Should I be pushing for more? These are both initial offers from the dealer so I'm sure they expect another push from my side.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I was able to get 14% off MSRP the car had been there a number of months. It was exactly what I had ordered but could not be delivered.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I got around 12% off if you include the incentives. Basically my car was pretty loaded with options. List price with options came to $53,049, discounted to $49,601 and less the incentives of $2750 = $46,851. Total off the list price $6,198, which is about 12%. I ordered my car from Italy and it took 6 weeks to arrive.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Checking the same dealership where I purchased mine I did see this one for sale that caught my eye. Of course, most people will not qualify for the four -$500 incentives but it would still be a decent price, assuming it has a good array of options included. Sorry picture didn't attach. Will have another go...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Is a $1k difference worth the headache of going out of state unless you can't find the car locally. We bought out of state but we got a MY17 new QV and there were not that many left to bargain about. Could have gotten a cheaper 2018 but not optioned the same. Figure out what your priority is. % discount regardless of location, the car spec'd the way you want but a less discount, or is I can't pay more than $x amount then the bigger discount on a higher MSRP is not going to do you any good since it is out of budget.

Financing Leasing or Purchase can also change the pricing as well. A lot to consider. Also, for your area, does your offer make sense? Did you check true car for a guess or just checking on forums. What we pay here may be different than on the east coast or Florida. Not all locations ship and if they do not always for free so factor that into your decision as well. We had issues with our delivery out of Ohio and honestly we went back and forth on fault and in the end we lost on the great deal. We were not there to inspect the car before delivery which I would not recommend. Fly and drive so include that in your assessment.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is a $1k difference worth the headache of going out of state unless you can't find the car locally. We bought out of state but we got a MY17 new QV and there were not that many left to bargain about. Could have gotten a cheaper 2018 but not optioned the same. Figure out what your priority is. % discount regardless of location, the car spec'd the way you want but a less discount, or is I can't pay more than $x amount then the bigger discount on a higher MSRP is not going to do you any good since it is out of budget.

Financing Leasing or Purchase can also change the pricing as well. A lot to consider. Also, for your area, does your offer make sense? Did you check true car for a guess or just checking on forums. What we pay here may be different than on the east coast or Florida. Not all locations ship and if they do not always for free so factor that into your decision as well. We had issues with our delivery out of Ohio and honestly we went back and forth on fault and in the end we lost on the great deal. We were not there to inspect the car before delivery which I would not recommend. Fly and drive so include that in your assessment.
Thanks for all the insights, a lot to consider alright. Unfortunately there are 0 cars with my desired spec in my area. I started looking through the Alfa US site with specific searches, and cars.com to get a shortlist and have started contacting each of the dealerships on price.

13% is the most recent offer off MSRP I received, and that car is more loaded than what I was looking for, but still seems a decent deal. One thing I would need to research more is the tax situation, as I have heard varying explanations.

Fly and drive is what I'm thinking if price looks right.

Since you seem to have experience, am I right in saying that if you buy in CA (or in another state) you pay the local sales tax, and when you register in your home state you pay a balance if you home sales tax is higher?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Checking the same dealership where I purchased mine I did see this one for sale that caught my eye. Of course, most people will not qualify for the four -$500 incentives but it would still be a decent price, assuming it has a good array of options included. Sorry picture didn't attach. Will have another go...
Not a bad discount at all! I checked to see if they had the model / spec I'm looking for, but unfortunately not!

·
Registered
2018 Giulia TI Sport Q2
275 Posts
17-18% including incentives should be doable. That is what I just got. Look at the end of the quarter for the best deals.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Thanks for all the insights, a lot to consider alright. Unfortunately there are 0 cars with my desired spec in my area. I started looking through the Alfa US site with specific searches, and cars.com to get a shortlist and have started contacting each of the dealerships on price.

13% is the most recent offer off MSRP I received, and that car is more loaded than what I was looking for, but still seems a decent deal. One thing I would need to research more is the tax situation, as I have heard varying explanations.

Since you seem to have experience, am I right in saying that if you buy in CA (or in another state) you pay the local sales tax, and when you register in your home state you pay a balance if you home sales tax is higher?
Yes. Ohio collected the AZ sales tax then when we went to register we had to pay the additional county tax another 2 or 3% here. Check with Alfa Romeo of Strongsville. Their deals are pretty straight up and don’t haggle with pricing much. They have a lot of inventory but you may only have an option of AWD. I live in AZ but I still wanted AWD because I go up to the mountains in the snow. But I would not have them ship it. Pick it up and you may be able to squeeze a little more since you are picking up. The internet pricing is usually spot on and around 8k off at least the last I checked. I would not recommend using their shipping. It goes to the lowest bidder and they are not the best shippers regardless of someone else’s good experience one bad experience on a 90k car is enough to say no to shipping. Fly and drive or pay for your own closed container which I don’t think you want to do. You can get cheap flights.

I would say that what one person was able to achieve and you at different times and at different places. I would say quarter end is good but you know sometimes you find the car and go for it. We did see when on CA that we wanted and we started with demanding more than they wanted to give and someone bought it out from under us. There is a lot of Ti’s out there but not the one I wanted. So I haggled and lost. But we ended up with a QV loaded instead. I was bummed because i wanted that Ti Sport volana black red interior and car play. I suffered with a QV CCM and Sparco. I am surviving though with the Rosso Tri-Coat and a little extra sound and speed.

Also certain colors are going to be harder to unload then some others so the discounts could be better

·
Registered
4,657 Posts

Think it depends on the states involved. I believe if you buy in my state, but plan to register out of state, you pay no state tax at purchase.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Keep in mind most places are going to offer the same discount across the whole range of Giulia except the QVs. So if they are offering 6500 it won’t matter whether you get a 43k or a 53k it is the rebates and the dealer incentives. Not a percentage off. I could be wrong but 6500/40000 will give you a better % off then a 6500/53000 off. I haven’t seen many that are % off it is pretty much discount across the line.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just got 17% below MSRP. This was a no haggle dealership pricing (incl. incentives) plus an additional $1k FCA/USAA incentive, for a total of $8250 off MSRP. Even if you can't get a USAA membership, that's 15% below MSRP. That would be my starting point in talking to other dealers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Also, watch out for dealer add-ons. Shady pr__ks may try make up some margin there. There are 2 dealers in Phoenix that appear to show similar pricing, but one dealer pre-loads all cars with an ugly partial clear bra and tint, both overpriced.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I just got 17% below MSRP. This was a no haggle dealership pricing (incl. incentives) plus an additional $1k FCA/USAA incentive, for a total of $8250 off MSRP. Even if you can't get a USAA membership, that's 15% below MSRP. That would be my starting point in talking to other dealers.
Bill Luke Tempe. My experience, exactly.

PS Chad in service is a good guy.

rjp

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am a Phoenian and picked up my vehicle in Maryland. Giulia Ti Q4 , sport package, grey with red interior for $36.8k. Someone ordered and walked from the deal. Orginally was to pick up a 17 leftover. Timing and luck is everything. Deals are out there, just keep your fingers on the browser.
However, service is a local consideration. Scottsdale Alfa service tech, Fred, can't say enough good things about him. Really takes care of customers. Purchased my 17 Abarth 124 at this dealer. And yeah, I squeezed a good deal on this vehicle. Woman's charm worked that time.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am a Phoenian and picked up my vehicle in Maryland. Giulia Ti Q4 , sport package, grey with red interior for $36.8k. Someone ordered and walked from the deal. Orginally was to pick up a 17 leftover. Timing and luck is everything. Deals are out there, just keep your fingers on the browser.
However, service is a local consideration. Scottsdale Alfa service tech, Fred, can't say enough good things about him. Really takes care of customers. Purchased my 17 Abarth 124 at this dealer. And yeah, I squeezed a good deal on this vehicle. Woman's charm worked that time.
Regarding taxes, did you pay any in Maryland? Or just Phoenix...or both? Would love to know your experience there. Did you drive the car back or get it transported?

Good to know about the Scottsdale location - and I'm pretty close it but unfortunately they don't have the car I wanted. Any idea of their scheduled service rates?

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Very good deal. I looked at a Ti Sport Performance Package Q4, Sunroof, dynamic performance plus package, leather package, HK, Sunroof and I think I was around 56k MSRP without dealer adds. They were willing to take 7k off that would get me to 49k before taxes and dealer prep adds etc. I am guess that was not a fully loaded Ti Q4 for 36.8k. If it was good for you.

Good to know Scottsdale service is not as bad as I have heard. I have a QV but haven’t needed anything critical worked on. Glad we have a couple options here. Too bad both are Fiat/Alfa.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Regarding taxes, did you pay any in Maryland? Or just Phoenix...or both? Would love to know your experience there. Did you drive the car back or get it transported?

Good to know about the Scottsdale location - and I'm pretty close it but unfortunately they don't have the car I wanted. Any idea of their scheduled service rates?
I can tell you this. If your concern is being able to wrap the taxes into the leases etc. then you should find the states that collect tax Ohio does and I am guessing a whole lot of states now that have sales tax are working with other states to have reciprocal agreements. Some folks set up an LLC in a non tax state and register the car there. Just don’t park at a corporate lot the the police frequent for out of state registrations. They are especially Phoenix, Scottsdale and Chandler have tagged folks I know for not registering their vehicles in AZ if they are on the lot for more than 30 days. No other state is going to collect Maricopa County tax and you will pay that at DMV. You will pay AZ tax regardless whether it is a POP or at DMV.

People throwing out a number without understanding what their options are is silly. My MSRP was 91k for the QV. Someone else’s could be 73k. That is a pretty big spread. They say I paid 61k. Was that off the 91k MSRP or 73k. Same with Tis or any other car. If price is the most important factor enough folks have given dealerships. Search threads there are other threads on this. Eventually you will find either the car or the deal you are looking for. Maybe both. Good luck from another Arizona person. Ask a few more AZ folks and see where they went. There is a regional thread also.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Also, watch out for dealer add-ons. Shady pr__ks may try make up some margin there. There are 2 dealers in Phoenix that appear to show similar pricing, but one dealer pre-loads all cars with an ugly partial clear bra and tint, both overpriced.

I have no idea which one you are referring to except it starts with S and ends in E. I was ready to buy one and they throw the price on paper with all the adds. The Ti Sport according to them was $61k out the door. I looked and said okay how about this and I crossed off all the adds and I said here is where we start. The manager said you are going to have to pay for the stuff on the car already we will lose money (yes it included that horrible partial bra) I said someone is going to lose on it because I want it off of there. They were willing to come off 7k but left all the adds on. I just said thanks and bye.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update on my initial post: I received a pricing sheet for the MSRP $50k Giulia Ti Sport for the selling price of $43k. Comp red, sunroof, premium audio, etc

The monthly payments however are using the manufacturer 1.9% apr and discount from MSRP around 14%

If got a few more hundred off the price, so with taxes, doc fee, etc it comes in just shy of $47k.

How bad would it be to drive a new car 900 miles considering it's out of state?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts