Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are some posts on the forum indicating that auto stop/start is disabled if the hood is not fully latched. Also, it was mentioned that there were no warning messages or malfunctions when this occurs.

Maybe there is a way to disconnect the latch contact switch to make the system think the hood is unlatched in order to permanently shut down stop/start?

I unbolted the right side latch and I was able to partially remove it and I could see the two wire connector for the switch. I wasn't able to get to the connector which is positioned below the switch. Does anyone have instructions on how to access this connector?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I haven't taken delivery of mine yet, but I feel I might have some info to offer on this. I was a Land Rover Jaguar technician for years, now I am a service manager at an Asian brand dealer.

But the start stop system on Land Rover's could be disabled two ways we knew of, although we weren't allowed to do it for any customers, its technically an emission control device on US spec cars. But the system would be disabled if you disconnected the Vacuum brake booster sensor, which I know these cars don't have, but it could also be defeated if you unplugged the disable switch itself. Neither of these things would trigger any warning lights. They would store a trouble code, but otherwise it wouldn't hurt anything.

Unplugging the hood sensor will most likely not allow the anti-theft alarm to set when you lock the doors. It may also not let you lock the doors with the remote. As well as give you in indication on the dash of the hood being ajar.

I say all these with no specific experience with the Alfa just with general knowledge of systems like this. So take it with a grain of salt, as in I could be wrong about all of this with respect to the Giulia.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't taken delivery of mine yet, but I feel I might have some info to offer on this. I was a Land Rover Jaguar technician for years, now I am a service manager at an Asian brand dealer.

But the start stop system on Land Rover's could be disabled two ways we knew of, although we weren't allowed to do it for any customers, its technically an emission control device on US spec cars. But the system would be disabled if you disconnected the Vacuum brake booster sensor, which I know these cars don't have, but it could also be defeated if you unplugged the disable switch itself. Neither of these things would trigger any warning lights. They would store a trouble code, but otherwise it wouldn't hurt anything.

Unplugging the hood sensor will most likely not allow the anti-theft alarm to set when you lock the doors. It may also not let you lock the doors with the remote. As well as give you in indication on the dash of the hood being ajar.

I say all these with no specific experience with the Alfa just with general knowledge of systems like this. So take it with a grain of salt, as in I could be wrong about all of this with respect to the Giulia.
I created a new thread after making the mod. It works with no negative side effects except the "stop/start not available" warning. It's here:

http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/466-engines-technical-discussion/30721-permanently-disabled-stop-start-success.html

·
Registered
118 Posts
Has anyone noticed that some days the start/stop doesn't work while others it does? It's completely random. I have thought it could be temperature related or maybe if it's raining but I have not been able to correlate it to any particular thing.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I found that the sensor related (and camera too) issues easily come up when they get fouled by snow/slush etc.
Also, yesterday I went to the service center. After the car was washed, I drove off and the auto start/stop error light came on. I turned around and went back. It was discovered that the right hood latch had not been secured properly and the light promptly went out. I noticed no vibration in the meantime, but I would not want to drive with one side unhooked!

·
Registered
526 Posts
I just got back from the Mercedes dealer and they told me that in 2019-20 ALL cars will have this "undefeatable" feature as part of the emission control system like the current Giulias, government mandated. The 2018's have the start/stop feature but you can permanently disable with a push of the button.

Seems like Alfa is ahead of the curve.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts