Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The seat slides back on entry then up when the car is started. I thought there was a disable option or setting but I cannot find it in the menu. Drives me nuts!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
The seat slides back on entry then up when the car is started. I thought there was a disable option or setting but I cannot find it in the menu. Drives me nuts!
depending on the software version of the infotainment, the option is there or not.

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
In another thread the conclusion is that you need V85 infotainment or higher, V9 or higher seat controller (not field upgradeable?) and the right proxy settings.

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
Is dependant on your standard seating position ;)
Sparco front-rear positioning is manual.
I don't have Sparcos, but cannot get out of the seat unless it is run back first. I suspect a combination of factors causes this, but if you have sport seats with their high bolsters and can easily get out of the car without the seat running back you are probably sitting too far back from the steering wheel to have proper control of the car, like a Speed Racer cartoon.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
In another thread the conclusion is that you need V85 infotainment or higher, V9 or higher seat controller (not field upgradeable?) and the right proxy settings.
Exactly. I have V090 and every module updated but still don't have the option because my build is 7/31/17

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
Exactly. I have V090 and every module updated but still don't have the option because my build is 7/31/17
I don't think you can update the seat module, you have to replace it. Chances are that your proxy setting has not been updated. According to what has already been posted if you update the proxy but do not have the updated seat module you will get the menu item but it will revert to "enable" immediately.

I actually like this feature!
I find that the seat does not move far enough back and that I want control when there is a passenger in the rear seat. Thus, I program position button 3 to be my "move the seat back" button. Alfa (and other mfgs with this feature, like Lexus) should make it a bit smarter by adding a exit position control AND making the seat not move back if there is a passenger in the seat behind the driver. I think the air bag controller already has some kind of sensor for the later (maybe just a seat belt on detector?). The alternative is to simply disable the feature and give the driver full control over the seat position.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I sit in a standard 90 degree bend at the elbow. I used to move the seat back to get out but now I just use the steering wheel for a little leverage and get right out. Standards seats were too high for me even in the lowest position. I like to be as low in the car as possible. Also 6'3".

·
Super Moderator
2,451 Posts
I've been having some left hip issues lately, so getting out has been a little more difficult... But I found a way to get in/out that is actually easier than what I was doing before.
I plant my right foot on the dead pedal and right hand on the steering wheel. This works well for exit and entry. I have the easy exit off though, so that obviously may not work for everyone.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
I still have mine running and it may be too old for the update. Build is 7/21/17. I have gotten used to it although it is a tad slow. But I think there are a couple reasons why this was included in the first place. The obvious is the entry exit factor for older, taller people. The not so obvious factor is maybe the coolest in my opinion.

In the following video, you will see how the race car has the driving position shifted backwards, as well as the race binnacle with LCD tach, detachable steering wheel, paddle shifters!, and so on. You may also remember that Jeremy Clarkson complained that the B pillar is in the "wrong" place and makes it hard to see. It's actually in the right place, structurally, design shape, and weight and balance wise for a kick butt DTM Mercedes Crushing monster. I think of this every time I have to wait for the seat to pull forward, or when I look left around the darn B pillar. ;)

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
I sit in a standard 90 degree bend at the elbow. I used to move the seat back to get out but now I just use the steering wheel for a little leverage and get right out. Standards seats were too high for me even in the lowest position. I like to be as low in the car as possible. Also 6'3".
I've been having some left hip issues lately, so getting out has been a little more difficult... But I found a way to get in/out that is actually easier than what I was doing before.
I plant my right foot on the dead pedal and right hand on the steering wheel. This works well for exit and entry. I have the easy exit off though, so that obviously may not work for everyone.
Yes, I can get in without the seat going far back but not out. Apparently I turn to get out but slide in sideways. I should be able to slide out sideways but I tried that once and found it to be awkward; something about needing to plant my left foot on the outside pavement before I can see what is there.

Anyway I started running the seat far back when I noticed pretty severe wear (completely through the coating and dye) on the left side driver's seat bolster. Watch out for it in your car.

I bought Leatherique products for repairing the seat, but they recommend installation during several days of summer heat.

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
I still have mine running and it may be too old for the update. Build is 7/21/17. I have gotten used to it although it is a tad slow. But I think there are a couple reasons why this was included in the first place. The obvious is the entry exit factor for older, taller people. The not so obvious factor is maybe the coolest in my opinion.

In the following video, you will see how the race car has the driving position shifted backwards, as well as the race binnacle with LCD tach, detachable steering wheel, paddle shifters!, and so on. You may also remember that Jeremy Clarkson complained that the B pillar is in the "wrong" place and makes it hard to see. It's actually in the right place, structurally, design shape, and weight and balance wise for a kick butt DTM Mercedes Crushing monster. I think of this every time I have to wait for the seat to pull forward, or when I look left around the darn B pillar. ;)

What I see is a seat that is very close to the steering wheel and pedals, the driver having his upper arms nearly pinned against the seat so that he is steering using his elbows and wrists. Also his knees are very bent and his legs are almost touching the back side of the steering wheel. I don't see the relative position of the B pillar in the video as the helmet/head bolsters on the seat obscure that view.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
Yes, Davide is quite tall and the race car positions will never be the same as a road car. If you look through all the video you will see how the B pillar falls in the same area of the helmet bolsters on the race seat. This is the forward position of the pillar, rearward position of the seat combination. On the Giulia it's not as extreme but the trend is there. I think they split the difference and so forth for optimum body structure and driver cg position.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm like Clarkson--old, fat and bad knees. I like the seat move option even tho I'm used to the old Alfa driving position back with arms out to the wheel. I seem to crawl in and out even with the seat back. Clarkson's comment was a good one and the pillar must be there for a good reason. Once I'm in I'm real good.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
The seat bolsters make me climb a bit to get out. That's OK, because I want the support AND I want to save the bolsters.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts