Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Just thought I'd share a project I'm working on. I started playing around with the torque pro app and a bluetooth OBD2 adaptor and i liked the idea of having additional information on hand but wanted something more permanent than using my mobile phone. Had a unused raspberry pi sitting around so I purchased a screen that would fit in the bottom of the centre console in a 2020 giulia. Im starting to build out the project.

Objectives are
  • other than getting power from the cigarette lighter, I don't want to have any other hard wiring
  • Must be easy to remove
  • Must integrate and look like it is part of the interior design
  • Must safely shut down when the engine is turned off
Here is a video I posted on the project so far.

I'm well on the way to redesigned the gauges to look like the performance guages that are selectable on the 2020 multimedia screen.

im also trying to figure out what i want to display on the screen and id like to know if anyone has any alfa/fiat specific OBD2 codes?

I am really keen on requesting the odometer reading so I can create my own trip B counter that automatically resets at the start of each trip. I'm also thinking current gear, boost, water temp, air intake temp to name a few. Let me know if you have any othat suggestions.

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo Giulia 2.2 Diesel @ 210HP
2 Posts
For power consumption concerns, I would use a STM32 microcontroller instead... That would allow you to also not care at all about safely shutting down the system, so it would be possible to use the key-on power instead of an always on line.
Besides, in powered-on sleep mode, these microcontrollers will draw a few *micro*amperes, so it could stay on for a lifetime on a car battery...

I was in the process of building something similar, with a custom board... But my blocker was finding a suitable display (dimensions and mounting mechanism).

Can you please share the dimensions of your display?
We can eventually find a good way of mounting it in place of that black useless trim piece, perhaps with some 3d printed piece.

My target is to make everything opensource, from the custom board to the code and the eventual 3d model to print, so that everyone can replicate with a few bucks.

I propose that we join forces and do it together: we can put everything on GitHub for anyone to use.

P.S.: there is also a way to get it done with a Raspberry Pi: making the root partition read-only will mostly do!

Cheers!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For power consumption concerns, I would use a STM32 microcontroller instead... That would allow you to also not care at all about safely shutting down the system, so it would be possible to use the key-on power instead of an always on line.
Besides, in powered-on sleep mode, these microcontrollers will draw a few *micro*amperes, so it could stay on for a lifetime on a car battery...

I was in the process of building something similar, with a custom board... But my blocker was finding a suitable display (dimensions and mounting mechanism).

Can you please share the dimensions of your display?
We can eventually find a good way of mounting it in place of that black useless trim piece, perhaps with some 3d printed piece.

My target is to make everything opensource, from the custom board to the code and the eventual 3d model to print, so that everyone can replicate with a few bucks.

I propose that we join forces and do it together: we can put everything on GitHub for anyone to use.

P.S.: there is also a way to get it done with a Raspberry Pi: making the root partition read-only will mostly do!

Cheers!
Hi. This is the screen I am using.

It's full touch screen and works we'll with the Pi.

It will fit in the bottom of the MY2020+ centre console. Just need to create a bracket and a face plate. I have a 3D printer so I have started prototyping. It will take a little trial and error.

The STM32 approach looks interesting. I'll need to explore a little more about how I would port the code I'm using. Happy to collaborate to get it off the ground. How far have you progressed with your project?

im continuing down the PI path for the moment. Im trying to avoid hard wiring it anywhere. I was considering either a UPS hat that would shut down when the 12v source is cut. This would also solve another the problem I came across which is power to the 12v cig lighter cuts out momentarily when stop/start restarts. I like your idea of read only root partition although that still won't solve the stop start issue.

I have been working on dials that better suit the giulia. I will post a photo of them shortly

Cheers

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo Giulia 2.2 Diesel @ 210HP
2 Posts
Uhm... That screen assembly seems to be 207x70mm... I have seen that one already but thought it wouldn't fit.

When I measured the black trim plate, I came up with a maximum size of 193x60mm... Can you make a clear pic of how it fits?!

Regarding that start/stop cutout, maybe that's only the cig lighter supply, because I tested the ETM power lines, the ambient light supply, and another one (I don't remember what that was, I have dashcam on that, but it's on the passenger side fuse box) and these are perfectly stable, no dropouts on start/stop.

However... If it's a small dropout, or if it happens just for a few milliseconds (I'm thinking about something like 200ms), you can probably hook up a power buffer with two supercaps?

As for the stm32 idea... I'm at the very beginning... As I said, I got blocked by that display issue, as I couldn't find anything that would fit (and that would be a rectangle)... So I was thinking of using three round color oled displays (the ones for smartwatches!) instead of one "big" rectangular screen, which, again, I couldn't find of a suitable size....

...but if the waveshare display fits just right, this means that the measurements I took are wrong, which would be very good news!

·
Registered
2019 QV Rosso Comp
1,184 Posts
I'm interested in the image / code if you put it on GitHub it similar. A parts list in the readme would be cool AF as well. Nice work!

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,778 Posts
Slightly OT, but I think @Alfissimo offers an OBD unit that adds performance information to the center instrument panel. From what I can tell this hijacks the existing information display (this can display navigation or infotainment status. Perhaps rather restricted on real estate, but it does not require adding a display to Giulia's tidy dashboard. For a better display, maybe it is possible to fully hijack the built in navigation system/replace it with something useful?

Doesn't the latest Giulia electronics provide some instrument displays on the infotainment screen?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts