Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you know if there’s any difference in IPC module - instrument cluster- between the 2020 and older models? I heard newer than 2017 cluster shows more information.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Mine is a Feb 2017 car. I think cars from 2018 onwards have a slightly different looking graphics on the IPC. When I complained early this year to the dealer about the front parking sensors going off constantly even when car is in Park, because there is a hedge next to my driveway, Alfa authorised them to update my IPC which have the newer look. It has the same info, just slightly different layout and subtle change in colours. Overall a bit better looking and clearer. For example in the UK the mpg tape goes left to right 0 to 75mpg, whereas it used to go the other way. Parking sensor also is automatically disabled when in Park mode.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Mine is a Feb 2017 car. I think cars from 2018 onwards have a slightly different looking graphics on the IPC. When I complained early this year to the dealer about the front parking sensors going off constantly even when car is in Park, because there is a hedge next to my driveway, Alfa authorised them to update my IPC which have the newer look. It has the same info, just slightly different layout and subtle change in colours. Overall a bit better looking and clearer. For example in the UK the mpg tape goes left to right 0 to 75mpg, whereas it used to go the other way. Parking sensor also is automatically disabled when in Park mode.
Interested. Any negatives?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Jan ‘17 car here. I had same or similar IPC module update. Like yours, changed the direction of the mpg tape, made the units of measure for temperature and compass much brighter, added some shading to central MPH display and some other subtle changes. No change in content though.

·
Registered
166 Posts
There's an update to freshen up the 2016/2017 display to the 2018/2019 layout, better shading, reflection on the speed, more increments for the fuel consumption bar, and a clearer trip meter layout. See below comparison from my car before and after update.
The 2020 is different yet again, with a speed display at the top of all screens, DNA mode displayed, G-meter changes, and new graphics for lane guidance, among other things. My hope is we can get the fresher 2020 look on the earlier cars with another update down the track.

Dynamic, Speed Mode, Before and After:

Natural, Trip Mode, Before and After:

·
Registered
374 Posts
There's an update to freshen up the 2016/2017 display to the 2018/2019 layout, better shading, reflection on the speed, more increments for the fuel consumption bar, and a clearer trip meter layout. See below comparison from my car before and after update.
The 2020 is different yet again, with a speed display at the top of all screens, DNA mode displayed, G-meter changes, and new graphics for lane guidance, among other things. My hope is we can get the fresher 2020 look on the earlier cars with another update down the track.

Dynamic, Speed Mode, Before and After:
View attachment 98867
View attachment 98868

Natural, Trip Mode, Before and After:
View attachment 98869
View attachment 98870
Strange. My Australian 2017 model has the "improved" display, but still the parking beepers go off in Park

·
Registered
176 Posts
That's because the IPC has nothing to do with the parking sensors... you need to get the PAM( park assist module) updated in order to get that functionality improved
Remember, according to previous posts by Crosshairs "you are NOT entitled to ANY software updates."

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Remember, according to previous posts by Crosshairs "you are NOT entitled to ANY software updates."
I see your still upset you didn't get your way at the dealership...but
Perhaps you should go back and read my post again and maybe you'll understand it this time.... what I said was you're not entitled to any software updates where no problem exists.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I see your still upset you didn't get your way at the dealership...but
Perhaps you should go back and read my post again and maybe you'll understand it this time.... what I said was you're not entitled to any software updates where no problem exists.
Define "problems" None of these people in this post has "problems" these are "features" and the updates changes the way the features operate, so no "problems" aka non priority updates. As you said before, non priority updates are not recommended and not compensated for under warranty unless you can guess the MAGIC key words under the change logs in the Witech tool. So in a nutshell you might as well talk to a wall, because that's how far you're going to get.

You know if you truly wanted to contribute to this forum you could post the update notes for each module so we could at least have a chance to get them updated.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Define "problems" None of these people in this post has "problems" these are "features" and the updates changes the way the features operate, so no "problems" aka non priority updates. As you said before, non priority updates are not recommended and not compensated for under warranty unless you can guess the MAGIC key words under the change logs in the Witech tool. So in a nutshell you might as well talk to a wall, because that's how far you're going to get.

You know if you truly wanted to contribute to this forum you could post the update notes for each module so we could at least have a chance to get them updated.
I have on numerous occasions posted wiring diagrams, diagnostics charts, and anything else I could provide to someone who needed help... had you not attacked me right off the bat in the other thread, you may have gotten help to.

here is the cluster TSB..... complete with the symptoms and associated updates and repairs that will need to be performed

Attachments

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I agree with @Crosshairs. My parking beeps only went because I complained it always beeps even when I am parked as soon as I switch on the ignition and I park near a hedge, it drives me mad each morning. Well that is how I played it ;) And yes you are not entitled to software updates unless there is a recall, bulletin or problem to be resolved.

I told the service technician the Park Assist Module will need to be updated. For which he said, there is no such module in the Giulia. I said, how about you raise a tech case and we will see. He said while handing over the car, sorry sir. I said, it happens mate ;)

Anyhow, these are all the modules that needs updating to "fix" the annoying parking sensor beeping in Park mode. Why don't you guys try that first?
PAM - Park Assist Module
IPC - Instrument Panel Cluster
BSM/ABS .... among others as posted in the bulletin above.

·
Super Moderator
2,449 Posts
PSA: If the snide and childish comments continue, I will take action. You've been publicly warned so others are aware of your new status. Get along folks.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I agree with @Crosshairs. My parking beeps only went because I complained it always beeps even when I am parked as soon as I switch on the ignition and I park near a hedge, it drives me mad each morning. Well that is how I played it ;) And yes you are not entitled to software updates unless there is a recall, bulletin or problem to be resolved.

I told the service technician the Park Assist Module will need to be updated. For which he said, there is no such module in the Giulia. I said, how about you raise a tech case and we will see. He said while handing over the car, sorry sir. I said, it happens mate ;)

Anyhow, these are all the modules that needs updating to "fix" the annoying parking sensor beeping in Park mode. Why don't you guys try that first?
PAM - Park Assist Module
IPC - Instrument Panel Cluster
BSM/ABS .... among others as posted in the bulletin above.
You shouldn't have to be smarter than the dealer to get updates. Remember we are not the average Alfa owner on the road.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
You shouldn't have to be smarter than the dealer to get updates. Remember we are not the average Alfa owner on the road.
I don't get your point. All I am saying is unless you show there is a problem, there won't be a solution. That is the policy for most auto makers, over here any way. I have shown you a way to get the update. You could either act on it and get the update or continue otherwise which won't get you the update.

Remember, most of us ARE smarter than the average dealer but not unless you use that smartness to your benefit.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Like you said earlier you said you had a problem and the person at the dealer debated you saying that the PAM didn't exist, and you can't update something that doesn't exist, but you being a enthusiast to the car you had to say check again. So if you were the average person that complained about the same beeping problem more than likely nothing would have been updated even though they did complain of the exact problem to get the software updated. This is why FCA needs to change policy and just updated everything like other car manufacturers. Cars are more complex than ever that's why there's so many software updates.

·
Super Moderator
2,449 Posts
Like you said earlier you said you had a problem and the person at the dealer debated you saying that the PAM didn't exist, and you can't update something that doesn't exist, but you being a enthusiast to the car you had to say check again. So if you were the average person that complained about the same beeping problem more than likely nothing would have been updated even though they did complain of the exact problem to get the software updated. This is why FCA needs to change policy and just updated everything like other car manufacturers. Cars are more complex than ever that's why there's so many software updates.
... and hardware versions that can get fucked up by throwing firmware at it for no reason. BTW - my other vehicles do not have the latest and greatest firmware, and they've been in for service. Why didn't they update? No reason to when there was no issue reported.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
... and hardware versions that can get fucked up by throwing firmware at it for no reason. BTW - my other vehicles do not have the latest and greatest firmware, and they've been in for service. Why didn't they update? No reason to when there was no issue reported.
This is the exact point that some people miss. we are not talking about your desktop or your laptop or your phone where a simple update is just that, a simple update... we are talking about a network of 25 to 30 computers that must all work together to insure that the vehicle operates correctly..so bad or incompatible software on one module can and will create problems for every module. This is why we dont look to update just for the sake of updating.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts