Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to a local Alfa tuning shop, the 280hp engines have an additional cooling circuit on the turbocharger that the 200hp engines don't have.
This was in response to my request to remap my 200hp engine beyond the "upgrade to 280hp version" they offer.

Does anyone know about this? As far as i can recall, all i've ever read is that the engines are 100% identical and only future engines could have minor differences.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I though it was just software...

there are a few Alfa techs on here; MacGeek being the OG. I'd dig around for the others or Mac and send a PM.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
80hp>:)

Reactions: The_Dude

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
All 2.0L GME engines have two cooling circuits.

As for hardware differences, it depends.

The 200hp engine with code "0" (cars with MVS codes 620.*R0.0) is, hardware-wise, identical to the 280hp engine with code "1" (MVS codes 62[0,1].*[R,A]1.*).

In late 2017, a new version of the 200hp engine was introduced, with code "9" (MVS codes 620.*R9.0). This version does not have any of the hardware necessary for EGR.

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
4,287 Posts
which is why the early 200hp (like mine) can be tuned to 280hp but the 2017 onwards cannot - which is what i was led to believe,

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
which is why the early 200hp (like mine) can be tuned to 280hp but the 2017 onwards cannot - which is what i was led to believe,
That's a shame. I was thinking what a freak getting the base car in Europe was if a tune could that significantly upgrade performance.

Papa Gallo, is fuel economy (say on the highway) lowered after you upgraded to the 280 hp ECU?

·
Registered
140 Posts
All 2.0L GME engines have two cooling circuits.

As for hardware differences, it depends.

The 200hp engine with code "0" (cars with MVS codes 620.*R0.0) is, hardware-wise, identical to the 280hp engine with code "1" (MVS codes 62[0,1].*[R,A]1.*).

In late 2017, a new version of the 200hp engine was introduced, with code "9" (MVS codes 620.*R9.0). This version does not have any of the hardware necessary for EGR.
Can you tell us what is the chassis number and/or build date when this change happened?
Does this affect how - for example - Eurocompulsion tuning works with the engine?
Is there is different software version for this new 200hp engine version?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
There is no changeover date, the two versions have been coexisting for months. The way to tell is the MVS code.

620.GR0.0, 620.PR0.0 = version with EGR
620.GR9.0, 620.PR9.0 = version without EGR

·
Registered
140 Posts
There is no changeover date, the two versions have been coexisting for months. The way to tell is the MVS code.

620.GR0.0, 620.PR0.0 = version with EGR
620.GR9.0, 620.PR9.0 = version without EGR
How can I check which version of engine my Giulia has? It was built in late september 2017.

Engine code seems to be: 55273835.

·
Registered
747 Posts
which is wrong, since the EGR has no (direct) effect on power.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
That's a shame. I was thinking what a freak getting the base car in Europe was if a tune could that significantly upgrade performance.

Papa Gallo, is fuel economy (say on the highway) lowered after you upgraded to the 280 hp ECU?
i never upgraded because our dealership couldnt get it to work (or whatever excuse they had) and i was only going to let a dealership do it

brakes are smaller on a 200hp and it only has one exhaust, so its a bit iffy to upgrade those bits if needed, - better off just getting a Veloce at 280hp/bigger brakes.dual exhaust

however, having said that, if the 200hp can be tuned without needing a brake and exhaust upgrade (which i think it doesn't ) then that would be 280hp in a lighter car (than the Veloce)

between Veloce 280hp factory and Super 200hp factory there is very little difference in fuel consumption - i am getting 10litres/100klm in a 200hp mostly city driving - Veloce is about the same

at least i have the option however 200hp in a lighter chassis is quite zippy and punchy as is - specially in Dynamic

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
which is wrong, since the EGR has no (direct) effect on power.
i believe for whatever reason, the new 200hp engines are not tuneable to 280hp
Alfa said this themselves, whether the new engines have been released or not, cant say, but that is the info from Alfa HQ - "unable to tune the 200hp to 280hp in the future"

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mine is a feb 2017 so should be 280hp hardware as well. Either way if the only difference is EGR and not cooling or otherwise performance related, both should be equally tuneable right?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i never upgraded because our dealership couldnt get it to work (or whatever excuse they had) and i was only going to let a dealership do it

brakes are smaller on a 200hp and it only has one exhaust, so its a bit iffy to upgrade those bits if needed, - better off just getting a Veloce at 280hp/bigger brakes.dual exhaust

however, having said that, if the 200hp can be tuned without needing a brake and exhaust upgrade (which i think it doesn't ) then that would be 280hp in a lighter car (than the Veloce)

between Veloce 280hp factory and Super 200hp factory there is very little difference in fuel consumption - i am getting 10litres/100klm in a 200hp mostly city driving - Veloce is about the same

at least i have the option however 200hp in a lighter chassis is quite zippy and punchy as is - specially in Dynamic
The exhaust doesn't make much difference, it's only the rear muffler that is double vs. single. I have the veloce exhaust (and rear bumper) on mine and that makes close to zero difference in performance, or sound for that matter.

The 305mm brakes are probably good enough if you don't track the car.

And i thought the 200hp was punchy when i test drove it, until i had it remapped to 280hp, that's what the engine was made for and that's how it's supposed to feel.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
thanks Mr.B

not that it matters but a Veloce 0-100 in 5.5 seconds, is the remapped any quicker because of lighter weight ?

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
You can find the MVS code on your warranty card. Anyway, the first Giulia with the newer version engine was built in late october, so yours definitely has the EGR hardware.
ahh i missed this post, how could i

ok so the new engines are out there already

·
Registered
747 Posts

A few points I would like to address:

• No dealership will do this - for various reasons. Of course they and the Alfa HQ will tell you it doesn't work. Those are the last people I would ask for advice concerning modifying the car :grin2:
  • You can get the larger brakes on the 200hp model - many cars have this option. I understand your point - I myself would only buy a car with the large brakes, but strictly speaking smaller brakes have nothing to do with the engines capability.
  • The muffler won't affect power in a relevant way.
  • Eurocompulsion have tuned quite a few 200hp models - also newer engines, if I recall correctly. Maybe they can add their 2 cents here.
  • Many people don't want to have the Q4 - I count myself as one of those. And yes, I do understand that the Q4 is RWD most of the time, I have driven a Veloce before, but if I can save a few kilos on an already light car and have no need for 4WD - why not?

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
The reason for choosing the dealership is warranty and backup whilst still under warranty - they said they were exploring the options of offering it however there are tuners around Sydney

We dont get tickable options here other than sunroof or HK or alarm, we get the cars fully kitted, paddles everything, unless mine was a mistake as the Aus brochure says same brakes as Veloce,

1 - 20 of 53 Posts