Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

Did you buy or lease your Alfa Romeo Giulia?

• Bought

Votes: 206 54.5%
  • Leased

Votes: 172 45.5%
241 - 260 of 289 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
How do you like ti so far?
Just got it in March and only have 3k miles so far but I love it... performance/handling is fantastic. Looks are stunning. -- except for it giving me the "service electronic throttle control" error message and CEL that left me in limp mode already at just 2k miles or so on the odometer... which required a tow to the dealer lol

Recently leased my 2019 for the same reasons and with the same hope.

But now I find myself wanting to step up to the quadrifoglio in 35 months instead.
I thought the exact same thing!

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
As of right now, why does this thread's OP Poll have only 297 responses?

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I've been following this car since it's launch, but was caught short by being in a brand new car at that time. I waited for the clock to wind 3 years and got out of my car making whatever excuses I could to get out of it. But in those 3 years, there were a lot of mixed messages on the car and brand especially the QV. As has been quoted many times about JRemi Klarkson, "you can't be a true petrolhead unless you get your head in the petrol tank of an Alfa" (not verbatim, but whatever), I knew quality or not, I was going to be in an Alfa. But when it came time to get one, I chickened out a bit and instead of going full on in to a Quad buy, I decided to lease the 2.0L in Rosso Red (I was more hung up on the color than other things). While in every conceivable way I think the 2.0 is 200% of a car that a person may need, what's the point of living in America if you do not want to keep up with the Jones or want more more more? So anyway, I'm hoping that when my 2 year lease is up, I'll trade out to a Quad and buy instead of lease. I'm a bit torn because I have madly fallen in love with the Verde color which I think finally has found a car that does justice to the color (for the first time after the original British racing green runs of 60s Jags), AND, at least for 2020, QV is not available in Verde. But since my lease is up in April of 2021, maybe I'll have hope. Waiting and watching...
But now I find myself wanting to step up to the quadrifoglio in 35 months instead.

·
Registered
2019 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport
486 Posts
I've been following this car since it's launch, but was caught short by being in a brand new car at that time. I waited for the clock to wind 3 years and got out of my car making whatever excuses I could to get out of it. But in those 3 years, there were a lot of mixed messages on the car and brand especially the QV. As has been quoted many times about JRemi Klarkson, "you can't be a true petrolhead unless you get your head in the petrol tank of an Alfa" (not verbatim, but whatever), I knew quality or not, I was going to be in an Alfa. But when it came time to get one, I chickened out a bit and instead of going full on in to a Quad buy, I decided to lease the 2.0L in Rosso Red (I was more hung up on the color than other things). While in every conceivable way I think the 2.0 is 200% of a car that a person may need, what's the point of living in America if you do not want to keep up with the Jones or want more more more? So anyway, I'm hoping that when my 2 year lease is up, I'll trade out to a Quad and buy instead of lease. I'm a bit torn because I have madly fallen in love with the Verde color which I think finally has found a car that does justice to the color (for the first time after the original British racing green runs of 60s Jags), AND, at least for 2020, QV is not available in Verde. But since my lease is up in April of 2021, maybe I'll have hope. Waiting and watching...
I too have a thing for the new dark green. Imagine this: Verde exterior with yellow calipers, white and black interior with carbon seats, and green with white stitching. yes yes!!

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #246 ·
Currently the poll shows more people have purchased than leased.

I would have thought the other way around.

Reactions: hazards280

·
Premium Member
2020 Giulia TI
749 Posts
In June 2018 I leased a 2018 on a 2 year lease because I couldn't find the specs I wanted. I ordered a 2020 in February that was delivered on July 8. I intended to buy, but when I sat down to settle on the price, my salesman informed me that Alfa had an extra $1000 rebate for leasing. So lease it was; when the lease is up then I'll buy.

·
Registered
552 Posts
The problem with leasing Alfas is the residuals are out of whack. They ascribe way too much devaluation to the brand so your lease cost is consequently higher. You can buy the cars with massive discounts that makes more sense, especially if you believe the brand will gain more traction and value over time, as more cars are on the road. That way your used car will be worth more when time comes to trade up. We bought a 2018 Stelvio Lusso new and a 2019 Giulia Ti Sport new with discounts in excess of $10K each. This is Honda or Nissan money for a thoroughbred Italian car with history, driving dynamics that are unparalleled and style that no Japanese for Germa car can come close to.
Also QVs are destined to become collector cars, wth values rising into the future. They have been described as Ferrari sedans and that characterization is spot on. Our 2020 so far is a joy and I guess this is a very long term keeper for us. They simply don't make enough of them as they are expensive to inventory, so if you own one you will have a terrific asset as far as cars go.

·
Registered
5,584 Posts
Having gotten one of the 1st in country (Dec. 2016) I can tell you that leasing was not an option. You could finance a QV, but not lease one as they didn;t have programs in place for the 1st batch of cars. I purchased mine as I had/have intentions of keeping it. Will it become a collector car....say ala 8C?....not sure..MAYBE IF Alfa leaves the market OR drops the QV. IF they stay and continue to produce them, I'm not so sure. Moreover if they stay & produce more, they MUST upgrade the car to compete with the newer segment competitors

·
Registered
7 Posts
I fell for the car after driving it about a mile on the worst test drive ever (1/2 mile down and back max speed 45mph) while I was on vacation. Spent the rest of the vacation researching one, but wasn’t sold on Alfa’s longevity in the US market with the Stelantis merger/acquisition and decided to lease when I got home.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,925 Posts
Reactions: wingler

·
Registered
570 Posts
I’ve done both.

I leased my ti sport and bought my QV.

the ti sport was the first vehicle I ever leased. Seemed really awesome at first. And from the stand point of knowing you’re getting a new car at the end of your lease it’s cool. But my lease company, Ally, was a royal pain. With leasing you’ll also be subject to a lease end inspection. Depending on who does it and what side of the bed they wake up on that day you could find yourself getting a bill for several wear and tear items. Although to be fair, they do document what acceptable Wear and tear is.

I’m rambling... but I’d recommend purchasing and avoiding the leasing headache.

oh.. if you think there’s even the smallest chance you’ll try to get out of the vehicle befor the end of your lease you should purchase instead. Trading in a leased vehicle is like clawing your eyeballs out.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I leased as well and did not purchase excessive anything. The car will be covered under factory warranty for the first 36 mos. I'll cross my fingers for the final 3 mos
The warranty is four years 50,000 miles in the USA AFAIK

Reactions: wingler
241 - 260 of 289 Posts