Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

Did you buy or lease your Alfa Romeo Giulia?

• Bought

Votes: 154 53.3%
  • Leased

Votes: 135 46.7%

• Total voters
181 - 200 of 233 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
As much as I love my Alfa, I hold the position that, unless you plan on keeping the car for 7 or 8 years, buying a new Alfa, Maserati or even FIAT, is a money losing proposition because of the extreme depreciation that continues well past year 3.
And unlike most periods of time through the early year 2000, nowadays car technology (performance, electronics, safety) is increasing at leaps and bounds. In today’s world, a five or six year old vehicle is frankly an old a$$ car. I’m not saying it’s a bad car, but everything around you will be exponentially better.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
As much as I love my Alfa, I hold the position that, unless you plan on keeping the car for 7 or 8 years, buying a new Alfa, Maserati or even FIAT, is a money losing proposition because of the extreme depreciation that continues well past year 3.
And unlike most periods of time through the early year 2000, nowadays car technology (performance, electronics, safety) is increasing at leaps and bounds. In today’s world, a five or six year old vehicle is frankly an old a$$ car. I’m not saying it’s a bad car, but everything around you will be exponentially better.
The reason I bought my Giulia is that I always hold on to my cars for a very long time.

I had my Saab for about 19 years since new.

Thanks

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'm looking at leasing for the first time. I'm retired, so my plan is to lease the giulia for 2 or 3 years. At which time I'll turn it in a buy a crossover and my wife and I will go down to one car (other car is 500x which will be traded at that time.). My question is, I'm currently driving a 124 abarth, how would trading that in as part of the lease deal work? Would that lower my monthly lease payment? This thread is very timely as seem to be some very knowledgeable people putting posts here.

·
Registered
223 Posts
...My question is, I'm currently driving a 124 abarth, how would trading that in as part of the lease deal work? Would that lower my monthly lease payment? ...
Always negotiate the price first, irrespective of buying or leasing. Trading the Abarth will get you a lower price but not as low as if you sell it yourself. Once you have a price, negotiate terms of the lease. Once you have a monthly payment and residual value, check around (internet) for other offers to see how 'good' yours is. Happy leasing! Cheers.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Always negotiate the price first, irrespective of buying or leasing. Trading the Abarth will get you a lower price but not as low as if you sell it yourself. Once you have a price, negotiate terms of the lease. Once you have a monthly payment and residual value, check around (internet) for other offers to see how 'good' yours is. Happy leasing! Cheers.
Thanks very much Gator!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm looking at leasing for the first time. I'm retired, so my plan is to lease the giulia for 2 or 3 years. At which time I'll turn it in a buy a crossover and my wife and I will go down to one car (other car is 500x which will be traded at that time.). My question is, I'm currently driving a 124 abarth, how would trading that in as part of the lease deal work? Would that lower my monthly lease payment? This thread is very timely as seem to be some very knowledgeable people putting posts here.

I would NOT recommend trading in your car as part of a lease. It will be used as a “down payment” which will lower your monthly lease payment but, depending on the value of your trade in, might pose a huge financial risk! For example, let’s say your trade in is worth $10,000. What happens if you put that $10,000 “down” and you get into a car accident that totals the new car or the new car gets stolen? You will not be responsible for the rest of the lease payments but that $10,000 down has just disappeared. Please don’t put money down on a lease. Or not too much money down! You can sell your car to the dealer or to another like CarMax or Carvana. Invest it or just keep the money. Offset the higher lease payment but do not risk that money down.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Putting ANY money down on a lease is simply wasting that money up front for a slightly lower lease payment. You get no credit for the money.
Rather sell your car to the dealer and use the proceeds to make your lease payments over time.
Say you get $12,000 for your trade - that’s more than enough to pay a $300 per month lease for three years and have money left over.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #193
Based on this poll, currently more people buy than lease their Giulia which I thought would be the other way around.

·
Registered
288 Posts
The reality is that the unlike most other cars the massive upfront discounts offered on Alfa’s means the dealers and FCA eat most of the depreciation upfront.
According to KBB my 2019 Ti Sport has a trade-in value a couple of thousand under what I paid a year ago, after getting $10k off the sticker.
I will be trading it at some point in the next couple of years, hopefully on a lightly used QV that someone found to be too much car for them. ?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Leased my Veloce with Select Car Leasing, was on a deal so:

£370 a month
24 months
Tyres, servicing, road tax all included, think the down payment was about £1200 or so. Bargain

24 months is just right for me, I like the car but I don't love it. Just can't get on with 4 pots, they make me feel sad inside.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
My Giulia is a 24 month/30K miles lease. I'll be one year in 15 days and have about 16,500 miles on it right now. At this point, I'm convinced, I'm going to either lease or buy a 2021 when this one runs out. If I buy, I'd likely go the QV route, if I lease again, it'd be a Q4 Ti.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
5,735 Posts
Thank you, Ally for extending my lease one month at no charge.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
5,735 Posts
Correct. My lease expires this month, and dealers are prohibited from accepting returns.

181 - 200 of 233 Posts