Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A group of track rats decided to go play with the straight line people and learned we can't launch our cars.

The track is an unprepped track, so tire spin was immense, and it was 95', 30%, and 2100' altitude. Basically, terrible conditions.

The SO was running our Giulia, while I was in the Noble.

Her best run in our Giulia 2.0T RWD was a [email protected] This is her 3rd run, a [email protected]:

She said the car was a little hard to launch -- not surprising considering the conditions. The tires did help with some grip, I'm sure. She basically hot lapped the car for 6 back to back runs, with limited cool down between each and her runs showed the heat soak.
Her runs:
8:18p - [email protected]
8:32p - [email protected]
8:45p - [email protected]
8:57p - [email protected]
9:10p - [email protected]
9:24p - [email protected]

She didn't do a burnout, didn't drive thru the water box. Just simply got to the line, power-braked it to 2000rpm, launched it.

Also to note, here's the Noble:

[email protected] Not bad for a car that costs as much as an Alfa 4C, but does everything better :D

·
Registered
296 Posts
A Noble - wow.
Where do you live?
Never see them around here in Pennsylvania.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Do a proper burnout. Keep using launch mode. I have seen nice ones on YouTube. Otherwise, Giulia 60 fts. like a grandma.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Do a proper burnout. Keep using launch mode. I have seen nice ones on YouTube. Otherwise, Giulia 60 fts. like a grandma.
I cannot figure out why AR did not give the Giulia a better launch capability, which is my number one complaint about the car. I can't even get a nice pop when I hit the gas at a green light; it's just a big nothing IMO.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is no launch control for the non QV Giulias, just good ol' fashion power brake. :)

Las Vegas Motor Speedway drag strip is well known for being 0.5s slower than any sea level track, so with our best of 14.2, it's pretty close to what the magazines we're getting.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Las Vegas Motor Speedway drag strip is well known for being 0.5s slower than any sea level track, ....
That's interesting, I wonder why? I would have expected tracks at higher elevations to be faster due to thinner air, therefore less wind resistance. Sort of like why there are more home runs hit in Denver than in San Francisco, as the balls fly further.

·
Registered
'17 Ti Sport Q4 w/ Active Shocks & LSD
805 Posts
Manual mode to get 3000RPM...

There is no launch control for the non QV Giulias, just good ol' fashion power brake. :)

Las Vegas Motor Speedway drag strip is well known for being 0.5s slower than any sea level track, so with our best of 14.2, it's pretty close to what the magazines we're getting.
I feel your pain.

On our launching thread, consensus was that manual mode will allow the torque converter Revs up to 3000 RPM, making for a more aggressive launch. I was able to get about 4/10 of a second off my 0 to 60 by not using Drive.

The other trick was to short shift with the paddles at 5000 RPM instead of drifting too close to redline. That kept times consistently low. Need to be ready for a pretty early shift out of first gear, to avoid the Rev limiter.

Hope this helps,

Reactions: Driven

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's interesting, I wonder why? I would have expected tracks at higher elevations to be faster due to thinner air, therefore less wind resistance. Sort of like why there are more home runs hit in Denver than in San Francisco, as the balls fly further.
Granted, for turbo cars, elevation is less of a hindrance than for NA cars, but the drag strip at LVMS isn't prepped, causing most cars to spin thru 1st-2nd.

Good example is the Noble, trap speed was 134mph, which is good for a low 10sec ET, possibly a 9s if on drag slicks -- but the car just kept spinning tires.

Didn't try the manual shift mode. Planning on going back out in the winter with our caterham, so might bring the Giulia as well to try to get into the 13s.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,754 Posts
Planning on going back out in the winter with our caterham, so might bring the Giulia as well to try to get into the 13s.
Nice collection. Good to see they get proper exercise. The Giulia was all but inaudible next to that (which version?) Challenger.

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
The 2.0 engine's peek torque is generated at 4800 rpms while its peek HP is generated at 5,200 rpms, red-limiter is 5,500 on stock tune. Basically, this engine likes to be short-shifted instead of approaching the redline. If you consider your reaction time, plus the 200 mm transmission shift delay from paddle input to actual gear change, you should aim to hit your paddle at about 4850 rpm to avoid hitting the red-limiter.

The first gear change happens very quickly so you have to prep for that. I recommend spooling to about 2400 or 2500 rpms prior to launch.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Giulia was all but inaudible next to that (which version?) Challenger.
I'm guessing it was a Hellcat, but I can't tell the difference between those and the entry level Challengers. Like trying to pick which Olsen Twin is the oldest.
I'm curious to hear what a straight piped Giulia sounds like, but not sure if anyone is crazy enough to do it on both the 2.0T or the QV.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I'm guessing it was a Hellcat, but I can't tell the difference between those and the entry level Challengers. Like trying to pick which Olsen Twin is the oldest.
Oh i'd imagine saying something like this in a Dodge Challenger thread, you would get flamed to no end. It would stir a similar reaction not knowing the difference between a Q and a base Giulia :wink2:

·
Registered
953 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts