Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. As someone who is perhaps considering a Giulia QV in 2019 I have to take a look at the available dealer network in my area and I notice that my closest dealership is 60 miles away with the second closest one being 80 miles away. Like most of you, I love what AR has done with the Giulia in terms of its blend of style, performance and everyday usability but am somewhat concerned with the possibility of needing more frequent trips to the dealer for service or repair.

How close are you to your nearest dealer and did that influence your purchase decision? I'm willing to put up with some increased effort and time spent on any car that is a truly fantastic driving experience but at the same time I have to be realistic and consider the possibility of lengthy drives for service or repair. Is the Giulia QV worth an occasional day of missed work (nearly half of my salary is commission based so I don't take days off lightly) if it comes to that? It is something to consider even as I realize that the Giulia is pretty close to ideal in terms of what I am looking for in my next car.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi all. As someone who is perhaps considering a Giulia QV in 2019 I have to take a look at the available dealer network in my area and I notice that my closest dealership is 60 miles away with the second closest one being 80 miles away. Like most of you, I love what AR has done with the Giulia in terms of its blend of style, performance and everyday usability but am somewhat concerned with the possibility of needing more frequent trips to the dealer for service or repair.

How close are you to your nearest dealer and did that influence your purchase decision? I'm willing to put up with some increased effort and time spent on any car that is a truly fantastic driving experience but at the same time I have to be realistic and consider the possibility of lengthy drives for service or repair. Is the Giulia QV worth an occasional day of missed work (nearly half of my salary is commission based so I don't take days off lightly) if it comes to that? It is something to consider even as I realize that the Giulia is pretty close to ideal in terms of what I am looking for in my next car.
I live in Dallas, where there are three dealerships in the area. I ended up choosing one that is about 30 (city) miles away, which can be a timely drive. Totally worth it. Then I got lucky. The dealership opened a branch about 2 miles away from my residence.

I would have been willing to drive the hour or so for service. I have a Ti sport and have loved all 2,000 miles I’ve driven. There truly is something about Alfas. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Did for me. I drive past the dealer 2x per day. Stopped one day just to gawk. Stopped again. Then again. Then started to bs. Then signed the line.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,577 Posts

My hope is not to see the dealer but once a year for an annual service and wait for the car. I am saving a “bugs me” list for the annual and not going in for every thing that doesn’t bother the actual motoring.

I am wondering if some of our other posters may be able to help with whether you can find an authorized repair center that is not an Alfa Dealership that is closer. Someone that works on Mazeratti another FCA alternative. I would think Alfa would offer a solution that they didn’t limit there scope to just large cities

·
Registered
359 Posts
Our dealer, Ken Pollock Alfa Romeo Maserati in Wilkes Barre PA, is 160 miles away and picks our Giulia up for services and drops off a loaner (guaranteed to be an Alfa). I was skeptical about this, but I have enough written documentation and emails with the dealer GM that I felt confident they would stand behind their concierge services when I purchased. And sure enough, for my initial 10k services last month, they made the trip out in an enclosed trailer hauling a nice little red Stelvio loaner and swapped the loaner out and put our Giulia in the trailer. This was around 9:30AM in the morning. Later the next day, around 6PM, they were waiting as my wife came home from work with the Stelvio, and they her Giulia was back and already unloaded into the driveway. The only time I had invested in first service was the initial call to make the service appointment and waiting around at 9:30 in the morning to hand over the keys and sign the loaner paperwork. The dealer's driver mentioned that he had two other service pickups / returns to do that week, including a Maserati in Pittsburgh PA, which was about 260 miles from the dealership.

Some of Alfa's dealers are really stellar. And some aren't, which is why I went with the dealer 160 miles away as opposed to the nearest dealer (still 85 miles way). Ask your dealer what options they offer to make services as headache free as possible.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I live 5 minutes from our excellent dealership. This played a huge part in my decision. Around 60 minutes would have been my max.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Our dealer, Ken Pollock Alfa Romeo Maserati in Wilkes Barre PA, is 160 miles away and picks our Giulia up for services and drops off a loaner (guaranteed to be an Alfa). I was skeptical about this, but I have enough written documentation and emails with the dealer GM that I felt confident they would stand behind their concierge services when I purchased. And sure enough, for my initial 10k services last month, they made the trip out in an enclosed trailer hauling a nice little red Stelvio loaner and swapped the loaner out and put our Giulia in the trailer. This was around 9:30AM in the morning. Later the next day, around 6PM, they were waiting as my wife came home from work with the Stelvio, and they her Giulia was back and already unloaded into the driveway. The only time I had invested in first service was the initial call to make the service appointment and waiting around at 9:30 in the morning to hand over the keys and sign the loaner paperwork. The dealer's driver mentioned that he had two other service pickups / returns to do that week, including a Maserati in Pittsburgh PA, which was about 260 miles from the dealership.

Some of Alfa's dealers are really stellar. And some aren't, which is why I went with the dealer 160 miles away as opposed to the nearest dealer (still 85 miles way). Ask your dealer what options they offer to make services as headache free as possible.
Something like this would be an ideal situation in terms of helping me make my decision. Once I go to start making some dealership visits (which will start this summer) I will inquire about these options. Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm 230 miles away, this was a big factor in my decision. But with the new car warranty they'll pick up the car and tow it to the nearest dealership should it ever need it from anywhere! So far my Sport Ti has been flawless I have 3700 miles on my car and love to drive it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My dealer is close about 5 miles and being in Chicagoland there are many to choose from. I would have bought the QV even if the dealer was far, 60 miles seems fairly workable.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My dealer (n Fort Mill, SC) is one of the 2 routes I can take to work each weekday. It’s about 22 miles from my home. I did consider the plan I could drop the car off on my way to work and pick up a loaner w/o going out of my way.

·
Registered
217 Posts
The prices at the Austin, Tx dealership were, by far, the most competitive so I drove over 100 miles one way ( from San Antonio) to purchase. Will have the SA dealership take care of the servicing.

·
Registered
248 Posts
My dealership is 2 hours away, Johnson in Annapolis MD. They too offer to drop off a loaner and pick up my car. They recently made good on their promise dropping off a Stelvio and taking my car back to their shop for some paint correction work. Tomorrow they are delivering my car back to my place of work. So far my experience with Johnson has been the absolute best of any car dealership n my life. My feeling is that Alfa is taking the customer experience in the US serious and at least some of the dealers are living up to those standards.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Something like this would be an ideal situation in terms of helping me make my decision. Once I go to start making some dealership visits (which will start this summer) I will inquire about these options. Thanks for the feedback!
@OP if you really want to know...your first order of business should be the type of dealerships that they are. by that I mean, are they a Chrysler/Dodge/FIAT/Alfa dealer OR a Maserati/Alfa dealer...you want the latter as opposed to the former....most of the horror stories here have come from dealers that are the former. if your answer is that both dealers are not Maser/Alfa dealers....buy another car.
2nd: is to visit the dealer(s) and try if you can determine who looks more capable of giving you the right service..if that is even possible...look over the service area and the types of cars you see in there..
3rd: your buying the dealer with these (QV) cars...if you shop by price..you may regret it....

I speak strictly from experience as having one of the 1st QV in the US.
Best of Luck

·
Registered
316 Posts
I bought mine form a dealer 350 miles away and the nearest dealer that will actually work on the car is 25 miles away, so for me distance was not that big a factor.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@OP if you really want to know...your first order of business should be the type of dealerships that they are. by that I mean, are they a Chrysler/Dodge/FIAT/Alfa dealer OR a Maserati/Alfa dealer...you want the latter as opposed to the former....most of the horror stories here have come from dealers that are the former. if your answer is that both dealers are not Maser/Alfa dealers....buy another car.
2nd: is to visit the dealer(s) and try if you can determine who looks more capable of giving you the right service..if that is even possible...look over the service area and the types of cars you see in there..
3rd: your buying the dealer with these (QV) cars...if you shop by price..you may regret it....

I speak strictly from experience as having one of the 1st QV in the US.
Best of Luck
The closer dealer (60 miles) is an AR/Maserati dealership and would be my preference. I would absolutely prefer to be comfortable with a dealership and feel good about them(of any car, not just an AR) and pay a little more for the car if that is what it takes. I am north of Atlanta, GA so the closer dealer is Jim Ellis Alfa Romeo of Atlanta and the further one is Fiat of Chattanooga TN to the north. My first visit with AR of Atlanta I will be evaluating their dealership just as much as I am evaluating the car itself and I am curious to see if they are eager to please in terms of building the AR brand in this area.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
The closer dealer (60 miles) is an AR/Maserati dealership and would be my preference. I would absolutely prefer to be comfortable with a dealership and feel good about them(of any car, not just an AR) and pay a little more for the car if that is what it takes. I am north of Atlanta, GA so the closer dealer is Jim Ellis Alfa Romeo of Atlanta and the further one is Fiat of Chattanooga TN to the north. My first visit with AR of Atlanta I will be evaluating their dealership just as much as I am evaluating the car itself and I am curious to see if they are eager to please in terms of building the AR brand in this area.
Then you are off on the right foot!:grin2: Now visit that dealer...they are already better equipped (in theory) to service a car like the QV from a technical standpoint as well as customer service.
keep us all posted....as the common thread has been the dealer network.

·
Registered
2017 Vesuvio Grey Giulia Ti Q2
413 Posts
I live in Dallas, where there are three dealerships in the area. I ended up choosing one that is about 30 (city) miles away, which can be a timely drive. Totally worth it. Then I got lucky. The dealership opened a branch about 2 miles away from my residence.

I am in the exact same situation in Dallas as well. I have Audi BMW and Mercedes right down the street but that didnt keep me from making the 30 mile drive to the dealership. Totally worth it and now lucky to have one close by.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The prices at the Austin, Tx dealership were, by far, the most competitive so I drove over 100 miles one way ( from San Antonio) to purchase. Will have the SA dealership take care of the servicing.
What were you able to negotiate with them?

It does seem like a nice place with nice folks.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts