Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,670 Posts
Sure! Magnaflow on left. Stock on right.
Great picture. I wonder if the smashed section in the pipe is part of the muffling system rather than for clearance. The Magnaflow pipe is considerably bigger than the smashed section and it fits anyway.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Great picture. I wonder if the smashed section in the pipe is part of the muffling system rather than for clearance. The Magnaflow pipe is considerably bigger than the smashed section and it fits anyway.
Could be but the D shaped smashed section is at one of the low clearance points. It's hard to see in the photo but there is a second similar D shaped smashed section near the front of the stock system. It's between the stock system resonator and the flex section with the flange that attaches to the down pipe.

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
That smashed section should be reason enough to swap the exhaust in the Giulia! I've never seen an exhaust tube in any car intentionally smashed!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sure! Magnaflow on left. Stock on right.
Thanks fellas! You always come through...

Yea, the crushed portion is borderline sad. How would engineering let that slide when theyre touting this as a sport sedan? It sounds like a Accord Sport right now... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,670 Posts
Could be but the D shaped smashed section is at one of the low clearance points. It's hard to see in the photo but there is a second similar D shaped smashed section near the front of the stock system. It's between the stock system resonator and the flex section with the flange that attaches to the down pipe.
OK but that raises more questions than it answers:

Does the OEM pipe have a flex section but the Magnaflow does not? Not good for the Magnaflow. Flex sections reduce stress on the pipe (allowing the use of thinner material to save weight) as well as reducing clearance requirements.

If the larger diameter Magnaflow is larger diameter but does clear, why would the OEM pipe need to be smashed for clearance? Poor dimensional control of the OEM pipe? OTOH, my acoustic filter training tells me that alternating, variable length smashed and round sections of pipe will make a muffler of sorts, similar to the discussed in another thread motorcycle approach of putting obstacles inside the pipe.

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
OK but that raises more questions than it answers:

Does the OEM pipe have a flex section but the Magnaflow does not? Not good for the Magnaflow. Flex sections reduce stress on the pipe (allowing the use of thinner material to save weight) as well as reducing clearance requirements.
/QUOTE]

Yes the Magnaflow Corsa exhaust has a flex section right on the front of the exhaust where it connects to the catalytic. Magnaflow designs exhaust systems so they would know to install a flex section in order reduce stress and excess vibration.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts