Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read in the manual that the USB port on the back of the center console is exclusively for charging -- but what about the one under the radio? Will it charge/power devices or is it only for media purposes? If it will charge/power -- any known limit on output?
Looking forward to picking up my Guilia next Friday.

·
Registered
343 Posts
The USB inside the console will also charge and can be used for media purposes at the same time.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I've used the one inside the arm rest (center console) and the one below the radio to play music on a thumb drive. Have not tried the rear seat USB yet. Have not tried to charge my phone, yet.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Really appreciate the responses

Thanks guys. That helps. Picked up a spigen mount to mount the phone and we'll see about my trusty Garmin.

Can't wait for next Friday! Got a great deal and will post more details then.

For now, I'll post a teaser pic of "Paola".

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
ran a few tests using the same usb cord & ampere to monitor voltage/current and noticed the backseat usb port does have a higher mA rate than the other ports. guessing its cause the connection is dedicated instead of having to split with media transfer but front ones still have plenty of power for charging.

pixel xl - all ports 3.8v - 4.1v, front 2 currents ranged from 380mA - 1500mA, back one 490mA - 1900mA. benchmarked for a couple min on each port so results couple be a little inaccurate

·
Registered
31 Posts
Question: If you've paired your phone via Bluetooth, can you plug it into the port in the armrest and leave it in there, out of sight? If you use it for directions - Google, Apple, Waze, etc. - will the audio play through the car's speakers? Obviously, I'm not very tech savvy, so I'm grateful for any help or advice given.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Question: If you've paired your phone via Bluetooth, can you plug it into the port in the armrest and leave it in there, out of sight? If you use it for directions - Google, Apple, Waze, etc. - will the audio play through the car's speakers? Obviously, I'm not very tech savvy, so I'm grateful for any help or advice given.
yeah, you can leave it out of sight. and if you have the the audio mode set to media-bluetooth it will play the sound through the speakers. you cant mix audio sources to play at once though, like you cant merge xm radio & bt at the same time. but you can just play music on your device if youre using bt and then also run your navigation app and youll hear both.

·
Registered
31 Posts
yeah, you can leave it out of sight. and if you have the the audio mode set to media-bluetooth it will play the sound through the speakers. you cant mix audio sources to play at once though, like you cant merge xm radio & bt at the same time. but you can just play music on your device if youre using bt and then also run your navigation app and youll hear both.
Thanks! I can report partial success: my phone and music played through the car speakers, but Google Maps and Waze did not. Fortunately, the volume on the phone is loud enough that I could hear the directions, even though the phone was in the armrest! That's good enough for me.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
in Waze, maybe go into the settings and check it's playing to speakers etc. Also make sure you're connected to BT rather than AUX as that might mess with your settings. I'll give it a whirl tomorrow and report back what I did on the Iphone

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I tried my thumb drive in the rear passenger area. As expected, it does not recognize it as a device. Only the front two USB ports recognize it as a device.

Reactions: RipTek

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey guys,

Until now I was using the 12v charger to charge my phone. Today I decided to use the USB port under the air con controls as I changed the position of my phone mount and moved it to the right A pillar. It didnt charge the phone at all!

Can anyone help me with this please?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Hey guys,

Until now I was using the 12v charger to charge my phone. Today I decided to use the USB port under the air con controls as I changed the position of my phone mount and moved it to the right A pillar. It didnt charge the phone at all!

Can anyone help me with this please?
I believe someone else had a similar issue and found out that it was not connected in the back panel. When you connect your phone via the USB does it connect with the car?

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,754 Posts
I wonder if it charges at a high output rate.
I wonder whether having devices plugged into more than one USB port slows the charge rate.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts