Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

For the longest time, the sport sedan segment was dominated by German brands and more recently the BMW M3, but now Alfa Romeo is here to kick it off its throne with the 2017 Giulia Quadrifoglio.

Jason Cammisa, Motor Trend Senior features Editor, has been around long enough to see the last Alfa Romeo sport sedan in America and back then, he didn’t even have a driver’s license. A new sport sedan from Alfa Romeo, the brand that pretty much invented the segment, has been a long time coming and Jason’s dream of driving one is somewhat fulfilled.

We say somewhat because the Giulia Quadrifoglio he tested had an eight-speed automatic transmission instead of the 6-speed manual gearbox. This may have put him through the five stages of grief, but he had to admit that the transmission is pretty good as it’s the best automatic in the business.

Everything about the Giulia EV is great; it rides well, turbo lag isn’t so bad at higheer rev ranges, ride is good, suspension tuning is brilliant, steering is fast and direct, and the car pulls. One gripe he does have with the QV is the brake by wire, taking away the tire feedback.

On track, the Giulia QV competed against a BMW M3 equipped with the competition package and both came out with a tie. But test driver Randy prefers the QV because it felt faster and it put a smile on his face. That’s partly due to the stickier tires, also the confidence the Alfa inspires when driven at the limit.

It has been 30 years overdue, but the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio was worth the wait.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Reactions: Alfaholico

·
Registered
15 Posts
Fun and funny video , and huge testament to the QV, as Randy Pobst has driven a ton of cars and he was quite impressed with the Giulia --and those that follow his track exploits or car reviews know he is not shy about commenting negatively if he thinks a machine is off it's goal ( whether performance or styling ).

·
Registered
104 Posts
Italians beating Germans. What is the world coming to?

Not that rare. Ask soccer fans. Beretta beating Sig Sauer for the US Army pistol in 1985 (until a few weeks ago when the Germans took it back. )
Then of course we had Leonardo (Da Vinci, not di Caprio), Michelangelo, Galileo, Columbus Vespucci...and of course Ferrari, Pininfarina, Giugiaro, and on and on and on.

And now, the stunning Giulia. Welcome back Alfa!

·
Registered
420 Posts
I had in mind more recent and mechanically related events. The pistol example does qualify. Now if Ferrari can just beat Mercedes-Benz in F1 this year, we may be on a trend.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Agreed, Italians have always been more passionate, the Germans more technically precise..... pick your poison...... (disclaimer I was born in Italy, so I maybe a bit biased)?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Agreed, Italians have always been more passionate, the Germans more technically precise..... pick your poison...... (disclaimer I was born in Italy, so I maybe a bit biased)?

To paraphrase the CEO of Alfa Romeo USA when he introduced the Giulia: "Germans make, Italians create".

Creating implies more uncertainty and things may not always work as anticipated (Italian cars). Making is a more predictable endeavor and the anticipated result has been tested and is more predictable (German cars).

·
Registered
79 Posts
That would be so sweeeeeet! Lets hope. Initial testing looks promising
I'd like to see Mercedes have some competition, but based on testing it looks like another runaway season for them and probably a walk in the park for Hamilton (Ferrari led several tests in 2016 but went on to ZERO wins). Mercedes will Release the Kraken in the first qualifying session.

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
I'd like to see Mercedes have some competition, but based on testing it looks like another runaway season for them and probably a walk in the park for Hamilton (Ferrari led several tests in 2016 but went on to ZERO wins). Mercedes will Release the Kraken in the first qualifying session.
testing in Spain saw the Ferrari much much quicker than last year...I'm hoping that they will be more competitive this year...depending on the track Ferrari might just surprise Merc.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Fingers crossed. Forza ragazzi!

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
To paraphrase the CEO of Alfa Romeo USA when he introduced the Giulia: "Germans make, Italians create".

Creating implies more uncertainty and things may not always work as anticipated (Italian cars). Making is a more predictable endeavor and the anticipated result has been tested and is more predictable (German cars).
there is a Marchione quote floating around the internet that he said of german cars, specifically BMW M "....when I was young a foolish I drove an M5"..in response to a reporter's question about the Ferrari cars he now owns and what he daily drives..:grin2:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts