Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Thought you guys might enjoy this.
The Quad driver is really much less manic than the factory driver who was going for the record....he manages to stay with the GT3RS nicely though the Porsche is clearly the better/quicker car on the track....in some segments the Porsche driver missed the line by a bit with the Quad on his wing...all in all a respectable showing.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
this is the second Ring vid I've seen today where they weren't wearing a helmet - the first being an upside down Civic.. thought Alfa drivers had more sense! :)

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Nothing else to ask from the Q. It did well to keep I with the RS, although I'm guessing the Q driver was a bit more talented.

Thanks for posting M!

Now we are all waiting to watch your video at Monticello!:grin2:

Make us all proud!

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nothing else to ask from the Q. It did well to keep I with the RS, although I'm guessing the Q driver was a bit more talented.

Thanks for posting M!

Now we are all waiting to watch your video at Monticello!:grin2:

Make us all proud!
hey no promises...my first time back in the saddle since I instructed there in 2010:surprise:...but I was comfortable there and the GTR I was driving was such a wonderful sports car....so nimble even in its girth...
I will set up the GoPro...or should I say my son will:grin2:.....
I do promise to push the car though...

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Drive the Q like you stole it Professore!:grin2:

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,157 Posts
Driving a car with a full complement of airbags with a helmet on may do more harm than good. The helmet is there to protect your head, but the airbags are there for the same purpose. At the same time adding weight to your head (helmet) increases the chance of a neck/spine injury in a crash. Race cars don't have airbags, so the helmet becomes mandatory. If airbags deployment is too slow for the speeds being driven, then it is probably best to disable them and wear a helmet. The last thing you want to have happen is smack your (helmeted?) head into the steering wheel and then have the airbag go off.

In the video it appears to me that the Giulia driver handles the turns better than the Porsche driver, but that the Porsche is out accelerating the Giulia in the straights. I agree with BostonDMD, the Giulia driver appears to be more skilled. This implies that if the drivers were of equal skill Giulia would not have been able to keep up.

If you pull up the video of Giulia breaking the sedan record on the track, you will note the car really being driven like it was stolen. The car is getting squirrelly exiting most turns, sometimes needing a lot of very skillful correction to keep the car on the track. The car also appears to accelerate unbelievably quickly, even in comparison with videos of cars making significantly faster runs. Perhaps these are both the same issue and coupled with the throttle response lag that has been discussed under other threads? That is, if there is throttle response lag, it is difficult to apply the right amount of throttle when exiting a turn; the driver in the record run is getting too little followed by too much power.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Driving a car with a full complement of airbags with a helmet on may do more harm than good. The helmet is there to protect your head, but the airbags are there for the same purpose. At the same time adding weight to your head (helmet) increases the chance of a neck/spine injury in a crash. Race cars don't have airbags, so the helmet becomes mandatory. If airbags deployment is too slow for the speeds being driven, then it is probably best to disable them and wear a helmet. The last thing you want to have happen is smack your (helmeted?) head into the steering wheel and then have the airbag go off.
I wouldn't profress to being any kind of expert but from what I've read the research shows that's not the case http://aimss.com.au/helmet-airbag-interaction-full-story/. If I'm wrong then fair play but I'd be shocked just about every car club forces drivers to use helmets without warning. I've driven the Ring a number of times and been there on weekends people have died... just not something I'd do as impressive as the driving is :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
At the same time adding weight to your head (helmet) increases the chance of a neck/spine injury in a crash.
This seems to be mitigated when wearing a 3 point road seatbelt and airbags. With a 4 point harness, I would personally always wear a HANS device.

·
Registered
150 Posts
If you pull up the video of Giulia breaking the sedan record on the track, you will note the car really being driven like it was stolen. The car is getting squirrelly exiting most turns, sometimes needing a lot of very skillful correction to keep the car on the track. The car also appears to accelerate unbelievably quickly, even in comparison with videos of cars making significantly faster runs. Perhaps these are both the same issue and coupled with the throttle response lag that has been discussed under other threads? That is, if there is throttle response lag, it is difficult to apply the right amount of throttle when exiting a turn; the driver in the record run is getting too little followed by too much power.
The throttle lag discussed in other threads is from a standing start. In my opinion a result of being below the boost threshold combined with a throttle map designed for comfortable city driving. I've not heard anybody complain about throttle lag otherwise, quite the contrary as turbo boost pressure rises with revs to keep delivering power to the redline. The only comments I've seen is how this characteristic makes the car feel like it redlines too soon, with people not used to the effect unintentionally hitting the rev limiter.

I think the 'difficulty' :grin2: is 500+ hp going through the rear wheels in a light car with no traction control.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,157 Posts
I wouldn't profress to being any kind of expert but from what I've read the research shows that's not the case http://aimss.com.au/helmet-airbag-interaction-full-story/. If I'm wrong then fair play but I'd be shocked just about every car club forces drivers to use helmets without warning. I've driven the Ring a number of times and been there on weekends people have died... just not something I'd do as impressive as the driving is :)
I checked out the link and their results look inconclusive to me. The forces measured on the neck were below their pass/fail threshold with or without a helmet, but with a helmet the forces were significantly larger. That might spell trouble at higher speeds (or not, it depends on too many factors). These tests were done at only 30MPH.

Of course if you crash at 190MPH the safety systems in a stock Giulia are very unlikely to be any help.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Think there was some studies the FIA did which disproved any worry but like I said, not something I'd do. I also cringe watching 'super bikes' zooming down the highway without any gear on other than a 'stock' pair of jeans so maybe i'm sensitive :)

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay gents...I think we are getting a little serious here...
the Ring is like a public park when you are talking about PUBLIC SESSIONS. which this obviously is...
there are SOME rules...NONE that address helmet & safety gear....in fact for public sessions you need only be 16 years of age...have a valid driver's license...and the vehicle must have been inspected and safe for the road (as per TUV)....passing is supposed to be only on the left..but good luck with that...it is boaderline free for all..
hard rules are 1 lap per customer...your ticket gets you a lap....you then must come off track at the barriers and you can get in cue to do another...
TRACK DAYS are nothing like the public session....

My point...there is NO requirement to wear a helmet at the Ring for a public session...is it smart??...nope...especially with all the yahoos that show up...but then again...why do a public session if you can do a track day session.....if that is your concern....
anywho...I thought it was interesting how the Quad managed itself in the hands of a layman as opposed to the factory driver....
I agree that the greatest equalizer will always be the driver....a car can only make you look so good...

·
Registered
103 Posts
The tires on the Quad can also make a average driver look - not STIG like but, a lot better than the average hot shoe.
The guy driving the Quad knows the ring well - and has done this before---err many times before.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts