Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put a deposit down on a Q4 Ti Sport, Vulcano Black with Red leather. Haven't been this excited about a car since I drove my Dad's '72 Alfa Spider as a teenager (when it wasn't in the shop) -- went for three test drives of the Giulia 'cause I was just having so much fun! Selling my 2013 BMW 650ix -- loved my BMW but its a heavy beast and doesn't handle anything like the Giulia (although I must admit I'll miss the V8).

Still nervous about reliability (and this forum doesn't help!) so I'm just getting a two year lease to start. I banked the funds from the sale of the 650 and if the Giulia is even moderately reliable I'll dive in and buy one a couple of years from now (maybe a QV!)

Picking up the car on Friday!!!

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Welcome! that's excited, congrats. It's even better when you own her.

Don't panic about reliability - we've said it a million times, there's lemons in every car brand so you don't need to panic any more than buying anything else :) You'll be having too much fun soon. Let us know how it goes, hope it smooth. Check those tire pressures though!

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,465 Posts
Is Ann Arbor becoming an Alfa Romeo hotbed?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If so its probably not due to an excellent dealership! Aldo is a nice young guy, and Patrick is exceptionally helpful and clearly an experienced sales manager...so no criticism of them at all, but very few cars on the tiny lot and they didn't even clear the lot of snow all winter so its a PITA even pulling the cars out of slots to drive them :) I am really pretty worried about having the Chrysler dealership service my car but life is about managed risks!

Chipshot, I think I saw an earlier post where you (or someone else from A2) had started a thread on a spring ride. Let's do it!

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
Chipshot, I think I saw an earlier post where you (or someone else from A2) had started a thread on a spring ride. Let's do it!
It wasn't me (I'm in Oakland County), but I like the idea.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Hey mesberg, welcome to the mix!

Your a person after my own heart; I also 2yr leased a Ti Sport for the exact same reasons, but additionally for the rumors that more models, specifically a larger, executive sedan, are coming down the pike. It's a question whether Alfa can bump and stretch the platform a bit to give more passenger space while retaining the handling dynamics, but if they pull it off, I'd like to be in a position to take advantage of it sooner rather than later, and doing 2yrs cost the same as the 3yr lease program, so a no-brainer.

I worked with Aldo and Patrick, too, and yeah, they're fine, good enough guys to work with, though I have some small criticisms about the buying experience which gives the dealership an 8/10 in my book. Which is good, right, just not amazing level.

I did meet the Alfa tech over at Suburban, and he apparently has training and certifications from Alfa, so we should be okay in that regard. I'm only two months into ownership myself, so no service trips yet, though I would have for the persistent cabin fumes had I not banged the car up in accident within hours of driving off the lot. I didn't want to put the car in for service and delay getting the collision bodywork done, but little did I suspect there would be a 5 week backorder on parts. Then, I had to wait another week because Suburban's collision shop was busy, so the car only got in 6 weeks after the accident, and watch, it's probably going to be 3 weeks before it comes back. I dropped it off on Mar. 7th, so let's see.

I won't go into what a fiasco it was trying to get the bodywork done, but Patrick did call the right people and get things sorted out for me after I got sent on a wild goose chase by Aldo. Apparently I was the first person to crash a Giulia from that dealership, so I'll cut them some slack on that...no, I'll consider it rookie teething pains.

Anyway, yeah, let's look into getting a Spring drive/meet-up together. I'll start a thread in the Midwest regional forum.

When do you pick your car up?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hopefully Friday, but they have to do a trade with another dealer to make it happen and they haven't closed on that quite yet.

Look forward to the meet-up!

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
Good to know dealers are trading cars. Wasn't the case when I got mine.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Don't worry too much about reliability issues brought up in the forum - it isn't a representative sample of Alfa owners. I've had my Giulia Ti RWD for a week and have not had a single problem. Zero defects at delivery is excellent for any car.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah, that was a mistake. I went to the edit section and I don't see any way to change username. Do I need to delete my profile and re-add?

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Don't worry too much about reliability issues brought up in the forum - it isn't a representative sample of Alfa owners. I've had my Giulia Ti RWD for a week and have not had a single problem. Zero defects at delivery is excellent for any car.
What do you mean it isn't a representative sample? How do you know that?

Given the number of Giulias Alfa has sold in the USA since launch, if there are a few hundred owners on here-- I don't know, and the Members List function is disabled, so I can't make even an estimate off that-- we could easily be getting feedback from a single digit percentage of owners. Of course not all forum members are USA, but I don't believe that makes the sample any less representative.

As for zero defects and excellence, there is no realistic expectation for zero defects, but there are comparisons of type and frequency of issues which can be made across make and class, and while I don't know if Giulia is more prone to issues than most other makes, we certainly can't pretend that the myriad problems reported here don't exist because you haven't had any issues during your week-long tenure.

I think it's just as much a disservice to harp on antiquated or unsubstantiated "reliability concerns" as it is to gloss over real problems and act as if all complaints are unrepresentative.

Reactions: a2alfaguy
1 - 16 of 16 Posts