Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was unlucky and got hit by some road debris while driving on the highway. The damage was on the passenger side door where I got 3 small dents and one where the paint was effected. I took the car to a couple dent guys and they said I needed to go to a body shop. I finally found a body shop that said they did work on the car and boy was I surprised at the price. The quote was 4,279 at a minimum because they have to do the quote on a line by line level since the database does not have cost for parts yet. They stated that it is considered an exotic so that inflates the price and then they have no idea if they can get all the parts. They had Stelvio that have been working on for 3 months because of the difficulty getting parts. Apparently, when you remove parts there are some one time use parts that if they cannot reuse them sometimes it is hard to get replacements. I guess being an early adopter has its draw backs.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Is that the expensive competition red paint? The one that's $2,200 extra? Any repair work on that paint is going to be expensive just for the paint alone, unless you can find a shop that already has some of it in stock so they don't have to buy a can of it. You might try going through your dealer, to see if they have a collision/repair paint shop that does their work for them. The repair shouldn't be that difficult, but you want somebody who will get that paint job right, to match the rest of the car.

·
Registered
576 Posts
They are total criminals. Definitely go someplace else.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I checked with two other body shops and they both said they could not match the paint and that they would not even know how to estimate it properly because the car is so new to the market.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I had a minor scrape on my Monte Carlo Blue front fender requiring professional fix. I went to an area auto body shop with a good reputation and they quoted $440 to fix it. They got it done two days after I gave them the go-ahead. Perfect match. No trouble getting the exact paint. I think you are dealing with either amateurs or jokers.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I had a minor scrape on my Monte Carlo Blue front fender requiring professional fix. I went to an area auto body shop with a good reputation and they quoted $440 to fix it. They got it done two days after I gave them the go-ahead. Perfect match. No trouble getting the exact paint. I think you are dealing with either amateurs or jokers.
The Monte Carlo Blue paint is a $600 extra option, not $2,200. If he has the competition red upgrade (which it looks like), then any repair shop has to buy a can of the paint in order to respray the door after they fix it. That's going to drive up the cost.

I agree though that the original quote was basically criminal. Worst case it should be half that, mostly due to the cost of the paint. Maybe Alfa Romeo USA can recommend a shop nearby that can do it?

·
Registered
94 Posts
They had Stelvio that have been working on for 3 months because of the difficulty getting parts.
This worries me quite a bit too. I question their competence. Surely there are a ton of body shops in Atlanta. I would suggest you call a Porsche or Mercedes dealer and see where they get work done.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Thats ridiculous.....

$2200 for CR is mostly a marketing ploy that many Alfa owners are willing to pay for, Alfas are red after all...only difference between MC and RC is that former is dualcoat and later is tricoat, hardly a huge cost difference for paint shop, specially just for the doors....as already suggested, OP needs to look at high end bodywork shops that work with aluminum and drop the incompetent dealer.....what is going on with Atlanta dealers anyway, seems like 50% of post in issues section come from owners in Atlanta.....

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I think it's because of the badge on the front of the car. Thieves. Go elsewhere, there has to be other places

·
Registered
303 Posts
My point was that the paints are readily available. The OP indicated his shop couldn't find the paint. I think that is ridiculous. Also, he indicated "the shop" was charging him extra because the car was considered exotic. I think that is a crock too. The shop is very suspect.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The insurance company is looking at the car tomorrow. They said they would also look at the estimate and have worked with this shop a lot. The Shoo mostly does high end cars and the appraiser said if you tell them you are self paying the price is always higher but the insurance company has more say on what is realistic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I am working with the Dealer body shop so you would think they would be more legit.
There's your first mistake. Not all dealers are honest. I would contact Alfa Cares since you got that rediculous quote from a dealer. I had a new bumper put on my Lexus RC300. It had the same two stage paint and it was $1400 total.

Reactions: Max
1 - 20 of 28 Posts