Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I think I may be a new owner. I have nailed down my decision between a BMW and Alfa. I have to say I like both cars but the Alfa more and it would be a change for me. Any former BMW owners out there and what made you try something different?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Well I think I may be a new owner. I have nailed down my decision between a BMW and Alfa. I have to say I like both cars but the Alfa more and it would be a change for me. Any former BMW owners out there and what made you try something different?
I have a Giulia QV and I'm a current BMW owner (Z4 M Coupe). So not really a switch per se, but I did choose the Alfa over adding another BMW. I just see lots of M3/M4 and non-m's. I wanted something different. Rarity maybe one of the biggest reasons. The Alfa is also faster and I think it looks better. To each their own.

Maybe influenced by Clarkson? Not a true car enthusiast until you're owned an Alfa? lol

Reactions: Gian

·
Registered
402 Posts
Former BMW owner here. First question is what BMW are you comparing it to; and are you looking at the QV or 2.0T Giulia. Here is an analysis of a former 3 series owner and current 2.0T owner.

Here are attributes of each:

BMW: better tech (much better nav, bluetooth that works, etc), may have a better lease price for equiv. vehicle due to better lease programs, may be easier to get the vehicle you want if you are choosy about color and options because BMW has more to choose from on the lot, can really drive the price down if you lease a former demo. Also lowering the cost is included maintenance during a BMW lease. The Giulia needs a decently expensive 20K and 30K maintenance that is not included.

Alfa: steering is what the 3 series should be (and might be when the new 3 comes out). Steering even in advanced eco mode is fantastic. Put it in Dynamic mode and you have the best steering of any vehicle in it's class. BMW steering in Sport mode is about what the "normal" mode Giulia steering is. There is also the factor of having a vehicle that not many people have. I think the Giulia looks much better than the current 3 series, both inside and out.

Finally, dealer network. This is the most important. The BMW dealer network around me is fantastic. The Alfa dealer network is TERRIBLE. Like think of the possibly worst dealer you have ever had, these are the guys I deal with. Terrible service. Others have great service. I'm sure @M2Driver will weigh in with some good insight.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I have a Giulia QV and I'm a current BMW owner (Z4 M Coupe). So not really a switch per se, but I did choose the Alfa over adding another BMW. I just see lots of M3/M4 and non-m's. I wanted something different. Rarity maybe one of the biggest reasons. The Alfa is also faster and I think it looks better. To each their own.

Maybe influenced by Clarkson? Not a true car enthusiast until you're owned an Alfa? lol
Your current garage is simply amazing. Well-done!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
It has been a while since I had a BMW (although, technically, my Mini Cooper is a BMW) and lately, I have been driving Audis for a while (in fact 4, considering my wife's cars). I really like Audis but, although great cars, my S3 was too "surgical" on the track. So, last year, I was set to get a new BMW. Also, despite being an Alfa fan (I had two in the past and loved them), I wanted to hear more from current owners to understand possible problems that are normal for new cars and this forum was great as I try to filter what is whining and what are real concerns.

So, to give you my impression, I came out utterly disappointed with BMW dealerships, at least in my area, as the two that I visited tried to use "old school" tactics. It would not be a deterrent to me as every brand has good and bad dealerships. For example, my Audi service experience in Ann Arbor was bad, but it was GREAT in Iowa City. On the other hand, my wife drives an Infiniti now and ALL dealerships we used (Cleveland, Ann Arbor and Des Moines) were great. So based on my anecdotal experience, Infiniti is the way to go... but the Q50 3.0t Sport, although a very nice cruiser, is far from being fun to drive.

I travelled to the Chicago area and found a good BMW dealership. Test drove the 330i and, to be honest, it is a car that has NOTHING to be compared to my old E46 325i: the F30 is large (and you can feel that), numb, soft and, honestly, not very well finished as BMW is, at least in this generation, far from what Audi and Mercedes offer (even the Q50 felt "better" inside). So, long story short, I removed the BMW from my list as my area dealerships are bad and the car is underwhelming.

Without options, I gave Alfa a try: both my local dealership and the two other options I tried had great sales departments. I ended up buying it in Minneapolis as this dealership was GREAT: they gave me a discount on a special order, what other dealerships were not willing to do. Now, I am using the service at my local Alfa/Fiat and they are also really good. My car is everything the BMW is not: fun to drive, beautiful, reliable (so far), well finished and my dealership, at least here, is better than the BMW alternatives. My other option would be getting a new Audi but, after 6 years, I needed to move to another brand.

Sorry for the long post, but one final opinion: I participated (more as an spectator) in the Audi-World forums. The number of horror stories about Audis there would make this forum to look like heaven... However, MY personal experience with Audis was always great and never had a major issue. So, many people here try to extrapolate their own experience (bad or good) as the rule. Go for what you like more and YOUR experience may and will be different from anyone else's. Hope it helps and enjoy your new ride, whatever you get!

·
Registered
691 Posts
So, many people here try to extrapolate their own experience (bad or good) as the rule. Go for what you like more and YOUR experience may and will be different from anyone else's. Hope it helps and enjoy your new ride, whatever you get!
That's the biggest truth lost in many of these problem threads. Someone has bad luck with a car or dealer, and it's an indictment of the entire FCA or Alfa brand. Someone has a great experience with a car, and they are forever labeled a fan boy and their opinion is discounted. What we sometimes forget is that there are the thousands of buyers in between that don't even participate in these forums. It's usually the disgruntled or the overly enthusiastic that join these type of forums to express their opinions. The disgruntled fade away quickly, and the overly enthusiastic tend to stay, but come down to earth after owning the car awhile. It's those people that I listen to most.

Reactions: brunocav

·
Registered
691 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
I drove the M3\M4 and was seriously considering the M4, until I spent half an hour in the Alfa and felt that steering and handling. I have owned M3's previously and had a 6 speed 540 I as well. I felt the handling on the Alfa and the engine were superior. I am fortunate in that we also have a very good local dealer, so I don't have the dealer issues some have described ....

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,478 Posts
Derision, derision, derision.

I think the thread title is normally done in triple, so I will add one:

decisions
I am thankful for spell checkers.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I almost bought a BMW 2002 in the early 70's. Does that count?

My answer is to go for the Alfa. That is my final desition.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
I don't mention most - who cares, except when it's alpha romero - but sorry, it just kept staring me in the face, and I thought the decision might be which spelling to use in a title that must have been underlined in red twice, and found it amusing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I’ve owned 3 new 3 series before the Giulia. The E46, E90, and still have the F30. There really is no comparison between the two cars. Giulia is a drivers car, what the E46 and E90 3 series used to be. The current gen F30 has no road feel with the light steering. The 3 is underpowered unless you go for the 6 cylinder 340.

I have the Ti Lusso, so it’s interior is definitely superior to the 3. I haven’t seen the base Giulia so can’t compare that. The only place where the 3 is really better is the Nav maps graphics.

Until a few months ago, I wouldn’t have even considered buying anything other than a BMW. I was even waiting for the new G20 3 to come out.

It’s all about drive-ability to me and the Alfa wins even without a manual, which is what I’ve always driven.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts