Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

So my plan is to have a sporty, fun car that can serve as my commuter, as well as able to take 3 kids to school in the morning. I had a few cars to consider at the beginning, but at the end there are 2. 2017 Giulia Ti, and 2017 Chevrolet SS (aka Holden Commodore from Australia).

My familiarity is with the GM V8, having had several Camaro Z28s and Corvette Z06s. Love that torque and the growl of the SBC. The SS has that, AND a manual transmission, which I have in my current 2016 Z06, it's also larger, more comfortable for my passengers, has the sleeper look that I prefer. Reliability is solid with all the aforementioned vehicles.

The Giulia, OTOH, is something totally new to me, that I'm very attracted to for some reason, even though it's not as powerful, does not have the manual trans, is smaller. However, the looks just calls out to me, it's kinda unique. The design, both exterior and interior, looks special. I think I'll be OK with the auto trans. Reliability is unknown at this point, but I'll be leasing, so that's not a huge concern.

2017 is the last year for the SS. Full size performance sedan with RWD and manual trans are going to be extinct. So there's that to consider. It may be a keeper. If I decide to go with this car, it'll be a purchase.

At this time, it's probably 52/48, in favor of the Giulia, if only because my wife and son like it more :smile2: They know nothing of the cars aside from how they look. Can't blame them. The Giulia is certainly much more of a looker than the SS.

Price-wise, they're very close, so that's not a consideration.

What are your opinions?

Thank you!!!

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
Giulia:
+New vehicle introduction so you will be driving a very unique vehicle.
+Looks 10+ better, sexier and more beautiful.
+Interior is leaps and bounds better
+Rims design is better
+Caliper color choice
+Color options are better
+Prestige and brand recognition
+Luxury appeal
+Better fuel economy
+Better handling
+One of the best automatic transmissions with paddle shift technology.
+0-60 in 5.1 seconds with a 4 cylinder engine.
+Engine very easy to tune to increase HP.
+You will get 100x more looks
+4 year/50 k bumper to bumper

Chevy SS:
+Connected Vehicle with mobile app
+Onstar included with 5 year service complimentary
+Much more standard horsepower
+Available in Manual
+Last year available so there's that for rarity.
+0-60 in 4.7 seconds with a V8 = 0.4 seconds faster than the 2.0 4 cylinder engine
+Better exhaust note (adjustable tone)
+5 year/60 k bumper to bumper
+Ventilated seats
+Heads Up Display (I love this feature)
+Oil Life Monitoring system (better than the miler counter on the Giulia)
+Wider Rim Sizes are standard

Both cars are great! But for me the Giulia invokes more raw emotion than the Chevy even with its 135 more ponies.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Do you need all 3 kids in the rear seat? The rear seat on the Giulia is smallish.

Also, do you like gadgets in a car? The SS has HUD, better phone integration, Pandora, Stitcher, ventilated seats, etc.

The Giulia has an 8-speed vs the SS's 6-speed so you'll probably get better fuel economy in the Giulia is that's of concern.

·
Registered
372 Posts
The Giulia is a car that needs to be driven - take them both out for a test drive and you'll see the differences in handling/power. I'd guess the SS is going to feel much more powerful, but that nimble feeling in the Giulia is fantastic.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Buy a QV and then you won't double guess your decision of the TI or the SS :grin2:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Buy a QV and then you won't double guess your decision of the TI or the SS :grin2:
Haha, that may still be in the works after this 2 year lease is over.

The Giulia is a car that needs to be driven - take them both out for a test drive and you'll see the differences in handling/power. I'd guess the SS is going to feel much more powerful, but that nimble feeling in the Giulia is fantastic.
Power is not everything, nor is it the only thing :wink2: I've had 2 Miatas, so definitely can attest to the nimbleness attribute. I pretty know what the SS will drive like, even without a test drive.

Do you need all 3 kids in the rear seat? The rear seat on the Giulia is smallish.
Also, do you like gadgets in a car? The SS has HUD, better phone integration, Pandora, Stitcher, ventilated seats, etc.
The Giulia has an 8-speed vs the SS's 6-speed so you'll probably get better fuel economy in the Giulia is that's of concern.
Not all 3 kids will be in the back, 1 in front, 2 in back. I don't use much of the gadgets in any car. The only "gadgets" I sometimes use in the Z06 is the USB slot for music listening, sometimes. I don't even listen to the normal radio, let alone Pandora, Slacker,...Sometimes I'll connect my phone via BT. HUD is definitely very cool to have, but not that important. MPG is good to know, but not that important.

Giulia:
+New vehicle introduction so you will be driving a very unique vehicle.
+Looks 10+ better, sexier and more beautiful.
+Interior is leaps and bounds better
+Rims design is better
+Caliper color choice
+Color options are better
+Prestige and brand recognition
+Luxury appeal
+Better fuel economy
+Better handling
+One of the best automatic transmissions with paddle shift technology.
+0-60 in 5.1 seconds with a 4 cylinder engine.
+Engine very easy to tune to increase HP.
+You will get 100x more looks
+4 year/50 k bumper to bumper

Chevy SS:
+Connected Vehicle with mobile app
+Onstar included with 5 year service complimentary
+Much more standard horsepower
+Available in Manual
+Last year available so there's that for rarity.
+0-60 in 4.7 seconds with a V8 = 0.4 seconds faster than the 2.0 4 cylinder engine
+Better exhaust note (adjustable tone)
+5 year/60 k bumper to bumper
+Ventilated seats
+Heads Up Display (I love this feature)
+Oil Life Monitoring system (better than the miler counter on the Giulia)
+Wider Rim Sizes are standard

Both cars are great! But for me the Giulia invokes more raw emotion than the Chevy even with its 135 more ponies.
Your last line sums it up!

Since you already have the Z06 i would go for something different like the Giulia. Test drive both!
I'm inclined to agree with you here.

Thanks all,
Glendale is hooking me up with a Competizione Red Ti.
Never had a red car before, so I'll brace myself for all the attention that'll be coming. Not just a Giulia Ti (that in itself will garner attention already), but a RED one. LOL.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
@OP sounds to me you've made your decision and are looking to have it switched... :)
the SS will fit the bill for a sport sedan, loads of power N/A V8 grunt, comfortable, very good driving car, solid Chevy reliability...and the price point is probably equal and you get lots of techno goodies to boot...hard not too like...
the only thing I think is a real stretch is the long term value or "rarity" of the car....this is not going to be a collector car in the realm of a BBC Chevelle 396 LOL....especially if this is going to be your DD.....don't let that factor into your thinking....

best of luck!

·
Registered
332 Posts
I think the alfa is the winner here. Having experience with both cars, the SS is truly special. It is a proper muscle car with late 90s era bmw handling in malibu looking sheet metal. You dont understand its magic until its driven. Its a much larger cabin and friendlier to passengers.

The alfa is a much more sophisticated car (in and out). it pulls numbers very close to the SS in run times and will easily out handle it. The steering on the two cars are worlds apart. the ss goes where you want it to, sure, but the alfa reflexes catapult it in any direction you wish in a graceful dance. The handling limits are high and understood. I could never control the SS in that way and didnt inspire the same confidence. outright power/weight advantage.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I was in nearly the same boat. I drove both cars, and honestly the SS is remarkable --especially at the 20% end of year discount. I really enjoyed everything about engine, chassis, and trans. The problem for me was the driving position and the seats. The steering wheel felt offset a bit from the seat, and the seats- while comfy-- offered no connection to car nor any lateral support. Another bonus however was that Hennessy offers a number of well-priced upgrades that would make this car's performance numbers staggering. Not to add to your confusion, but I seriously considered an ATS V. Cadillac has some very aggressive lease/financing offers. You can get a manual, and I think it is the only car in this segment that compares to the Quadrifoglio with regards to chassis dynamics. If you are keeping the Vette my vote is for Giulia. I have a 2018 Quadrifoglio on order, and if Alfa will show some love to west coast deliveries it should be here soon! Happy hunting.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Alfa QV is one of the best cars I've ever driven, especially for the money. I hear the lesser models are as sharp to drive, although without as much power of course.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts