Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Alfa

Love the car, really do....but this auto stop/auto start "feature" you've engineered into the cars was not a brilliant move.

The car restarts after I put it into park and shut it off, after restarting all by itself the car lurches forward a few inches.....nice touch eh?
It works only when it feels like it. Sometimes it auto shuts down and sometimes it doesn't.

I absolutely love the car, but hate the AS/AS system. I would not buy another Giulia solely based on my deep hatred and loathing of the auto stop/auto start system it has. If only you had an update to allow the system to be totally disabled???

I can look past the unintended acceleration that occasionally happens when paddle shifting down a gear and the sub par bluetooth/audio system,but the AS/AS has to change.

Please have the entire engineering team that designed it publicly flogged at your earliest opportunity.

Warmest regards,

Killer

·
Registered
869 Posts
Agree and disagree. I think if they just added a 1-2 second delay it would be fine. I can control it with some fancy footwork but I do not need a S/S event when I roll to a brief stop in flowing traffic...only when in gridlocked, heavy traffic.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Agree and disagree. I think if they just added a 1-2 second delay it would be fine. I can control it with some fancy footwork but I do not need a S/S event when I roll to a brief stop in flowing traffic...only when in gridlocked, heavy traffic.
Oh but the lurching forward is just extra special.

(yes my software is up to date)

Let the flogging begin

·
Registered
526 Posts
Not a fan myself but have you actually read the manual about the parameters involved with this government mandated feature? There are times it will not shut down and times it will, there's a whole list of them. As for lurching forward I haven't experienced that, are you keeping pressure on the brake? Still not the smoothest start/stop system I've encountered but I dislike all of them.

As far as restarting when the car is in park and after you've shut it down, sounds like you have a problem that needs to be addressed by the dealer.

Do what a lot of us do, just disable this feature every time you get in the car, that's what I do and it's become second nature.

·
Registered
2019 Rosso Competizione Stelvio Ti Sport Nero Edizione
651 Posts
Bad news

Dear Alfa
Love the car, really do....but this auto stop/auto start "feature" you've engineered into the cars was not a brilliant move.
The car restarts after I put it into park and shut it off, after restarting all by itself the car lurches forward a few inches.....nice touch eh?
It works only when it feels like it. Sometimes it auto shuts down and sometimes it doesn't.
I absolutely love the car, but hate the AS/AS system. I would not buy another Giulia solely based on my deep hatred and loathing of the auto stop/auto start system it has. If only you had an update to allow the system to be totally disabled???
Warmest regards,

Killer
Bad news. Every new car will have that annoying AS/SA system by 2020. It is the result of credits the manufacturers get towards mandatory efficiency ratings here in the U.S. that they would otherwise be unable to meet. If they include a feature that allows it to be permanently disabled, rather then defaulting back to the "on" position, they don't get the credit. So we are stuck with this terrible and unnecessary "feature".
Some work better than others. The Giulia's does have functionality issues which you mention (it also shuts down when it shouldn't in high temperatures when the AC is pumping). But I actually find it to be better than the one on the Audi that I had which had a very rough restart.

·
Registered
2019 Rosso Competizione Stelvio Ti Sport Nero Edizione
651 Posts
Mine too

As far as restarting when the car is in park and after you've shut it down, sounds like you have a problem that needs to be addressed by the dealer.
Mine does this too. It is not a sign of a problem. When I pull into my driveway and stop the car, the AS/SA system will shut the car down as soon as I come to a stop, because the car doesn't know where it is. Then when I throw it into park, the engine restarts just before I have a chance to shut it down.
Definitely annoying.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,758 Posts
The government has not mandated stop/start. It has, however, written the rules governing credits for it in such a way that makes many miserable.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Mine does this too. It is not a sign of a problem. When I pull into my driveway and stop the car, the AS/SA system will shut the car down as soon as I come to a stop, because the car doesn't know where it is. Then when I throw it into park, the engine restarts just before I have a chance to shut it down.
Definitely annoying.
Ongoing debate in the other thread but I too confirmed this behavior today. Putting car in park after auto stop restarts the car. Annoying.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Agree the stop/start is loathsome. Have not experienced the lurching. Re stop/start, I turn it off as part of my startup process; if I forget, I'm reminded the first time I stop for a light and turn it off then. Problems (of the stop/start variety) solved.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Perhaps a nice update would be to have the system activate the green A circle on dash 5 seconds before it activates the first time? This way, normal warm up and short operation like moving the car and so on would not require a disable action every time. Rather, you would get a visual warning when it was about to engage and remind you to disable it if you don't intend to continue driving. It happens to me at the first light on the way into work in the morning, and in the driveway after work when I stop to put my ramps away. That's a killer because the car is only on for a minute and I am about to turn it off anyway after I drive over the ramps! I felt it lurch on time that way but it was in park.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Like others have mentioned, there's a nice button right next to the steering wheel that'll fix all your problems. No need to lose your **** over a minor inconvenience like this. If anything, we should all be thankful that the engineers made it so easy to disable s/s.
What this guy said. It looks like a few people need to open the manual. If they have and it's still a problem need to visit the dealership. if you are truly putting the car in park and it still moving forward on its own, then you have a serious problem. It's a plausible problem, but unlikely.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I keep my foot on the brake until I've set the parking brake, put the car in park, and shut off the engine. That any and every car, not just Giulia.

I've got to admit that I'm not a fan of how the auto start/stop works, but two things here:

1) There is a button to allow you to disable the auto start/stop.
and
2) That's a cheap excuse to dislike a car.

·
Registered
691 Posts
If I put my car in park and it lurches forward a few inches, its going back to the dealer and never getting picked up again until fixed. That's a huge safety issue.
And noone here has experienced that. That's not what's being discussed.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Sigh. Be prepared to be vilified by a few people who will claim you don't know how to operate the car. See the recent post "Just submitted a safety compliant to NHSTA". You are exactly right, but that won't matter. I hope you have a thick skin, :smile2:

But that's it for me on this particular thread - I'm not going through it again!

·
Registered
787 Posts
The simple fix is when you turn off the car it will turn off if not moving and foot is on brake period, regardless of what auto stop is doing. Alfa does not need to be in the news that the car has a safety problem. This is a software fix, they need to do it.
I myself have gotten lazy and letting the car self switch to park, I shut off the auto stop/start but don't always remember. The car over time can lull you into this.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,758 Posts
If I put my car in park and it lurches forward a few inches, its going back to the dealer and never getting picked up again until fixed. That's a huge safety issue.
Many (all?) automatics will move a bit (though not a few inches) on non-level ground as the parking pawl engages.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.