Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I picked up my Giulia the Saturday before last, and the dealership finance manager called me yesterday wanting me to come sign a new contract. He said the only thing that was changing was the excess mileage charge which was .25 per mile, they now want to make it .50 per mile. I told them I was happy with the contract I signed and did not want to change it. I asked if they were voiding my original contract over it. It has been in their service dept. since the Monday after I originally picked it up, getting the AC unit replaced and only has about 170 miles on it. Nobody has told me if my original contract is now void. Can they void the contract and cancel the lease over this?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Hello, I picked up my Giulia the Saturday before last, and the dealership finance manager called me yesterday wanting me to come sign a new contract. He said the only thing that was changing was the excess mileage charge which was .25 per mile, they now want to make it .50 per mile. I told them I was happy with the contract I signed and did not want to change it. I asked if they were voiding my original contract over it. It has been in their service dept. since the Monday after I originally picked it up, getting the AC unit replaced and only has about 170 miles on it. Nobody has told me if my original contract is now void. Can they void the contract and cancel the lease over this?
No they cannot. Sign nothing.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Offer to sign it if they agree to give you $5000 back. You figure if it’s game for them to change the terms after a signed contract then you should be able to make some changes you really like too! Seriously I’ve never heard of changing things after the fact. It’s a contract!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Um, no they cannot void or change your agreement. If you have a signed contact it cannot be changed (usually) without BOTH parties agreeing to it.

Further, that is a material term to change the mileage from .25 to .50.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am a licensed auto broker, and have had this happen to one of my customers before. Alfa Romeo first asked them to sign a new contract instead of with Ally Bank with Chrysler Capital. Then a couple days later they asked them to return the car, for the contract was unwinded. Turns out spending $30,000 on a credit card and leasing a car the next day caused a lot of red flags to the credit bureau's. My best recommendation to you is ask them why if they mention that your credit rating was conditionally approved at time of purchase and that Chrysler Capital placed your credit tier lower than what we approved you for at first then its legit and I recommend you go in person and speak to a finance manager. If they tell you that its a Clerical error then don't sign anything. Me personally my credit is over 800 with great history yet I got declined by Ally Bank for some odd reason and approved on Chrysler Capital with 0.50 cents per extra mile at the end of the lease.

·
Registered
402 Posts
You signed a contract and took the car home. That is binding. Unless there were stipulations which hadn't been met (i.e. you promised to bring in your trade-in's second key, or they promised to provide an Alfa Romeo hat) but I'm guessing that wasn't the case. The deal is done -- no need to resign with the higher mileage rate.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I am a licensed auto broker, and have had this happen to one of my customers before. Alfa Romeo first asked them to sign a new contract instead of with Ally Bank with Chrysler Capital. Then a couple days later they asked them to return the car, for the contract was unwinded. Turns out spending $30,000 on a credit card and leasing a car the next day caused a lot of red flags to the credit bureau's. My best recommendation to you is ask them why if they mention that your credit rating was conditionally approved at time of purchase and that Chrysler Capital placed your credit tier lower than what we approved you for at first then its legit and I recommend you go in person and speak to a finance manager. If they tell you that its a Clerical error then don't sign anything. Me personally my credit is over 800 with great history yet I got declined by Ally Bank for some odd reason and approved on Chrysler Capital with 0.50 cents per extra mile at the end of the lease.
That actually makes sense which in a sense some fine print had a contingency on scoring. Otherwise, they would have to be nuts to think anyone would be willing to come in and resign a new agreement for a material cost change. Something sounds off.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Also in the fine print it states that the lender has 10 Days to either ask for the car back or to let you keep it without making any changes. If you are still within the 10 day period after you signed the contract then they are legally allowed to do whatever they want because it is still basically considered their car. Once you get out of that 10 day period you can tell them to go kick rocks because you are legally within your rights to refuse regardless of credit issues.

·
Registered
857 Posts
If it was signed when it was picked up (the Saturday before last was mentioned), the 10 days are already up....

·
Registered
36 Posts
If it was signed when it was picked up (the Saturday before last was mentioned), the 10 days are already up....
Correct, if the 10 days are up then you are within your rights to refuse regardless of reason. If they still try forcing you to sign then I would tell you to lawyer up.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My wife is an attorney, she basically told me changing the terms would be breach of contract, and if they want to void the original contract over it they can have it back and I can take my business somewhere else. The finance manager told me my credit is 850+, but the issue was with Chrysler financing. They did call me on Tuesday, so technically on day 10.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
My wife is an attorney, she basically told me changing the terms would be breach of contract, and if they want to void the original contract over it they can have it back and I can take my business somewhere else. The finance manager told me my credit is 850+, but the issue was with Chrysler financing. They did call me on Tuesday, so technically on day 10.
I know it stinks but the rules are the rules and if they had that 10 day then not sure there is anything to do. I think someone else mentioned the .50 cent was what they were paying so it doesn’t sound unreasonable. Could you have negotiated a higher mileage instead? In any case since your wife is a lawyer that will probably help them understand your position better and put the fear in them to deal since according to her it is a breach. I know nothing about the law so I will take her word for that. That rule is there so that they can secure financing. Apparently someone over promised and under delivered but maybe not a breach.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
She wasn't actually there when I made the deal so she didn't read the contract, if it says they can renegotiate for up to 10 days then it's possible they aren't breaching the contract I suppose. I guess I will go in and see what else they will give me to make the concession. I'm really not worried about going over in miles anyway. The past 2 leases I have been under 30k miles since I have a short commute, and I get 36k on this one.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Hey everyone else does or at least threatens to. Someone convinced AR that their factory paint was bad after their detailer pulled a clear bra off their new car because they didn’t like the job and the paint peeled. Alfa is picking up the tab. Never would i think that was ARs fault. Not when someone pulls a clear bra off. So given that, rules are rules and logic is logic but AR doens’t want to lose customers so go for it. I would say Call AR and say I will not keep this car unless you fulfill this commitment. Hey it is worth a shot. What do you have to lose.

·
Registered
765 Posts
She wasn't actually there when I made the deal so she didn't read the contract, if it says they can renegotiate for up to 10 days then it's possible they aren't breaching the contract I suppose. I guess I will go in and see what else they will give me to make the concession. I'm really not worried about going over in miles anyway. The past 2 leases I have been under 30k miles since I have a short commute, and I get 36k on this one.

36,000 miles is a lot. Is that standard for a lease in the US?

·
Registered
219 Posts
For reference....
I leased a 2018 Ti sport AWD MSRP $50k
39 months, 12k per year, 20 cents per mile over

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI Sport Q2
498 Posts
They can't. I did not even get a new contract when they replaced the car.

However, now I am getting the county on my ass because they never removed the car from my name, and I am getting billed for a suspension of owning a car without insurance.

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI Sport Q2
498 Posts
I forgot, It's 39 months & 39k miles. 10k per year is standard.
If you ask me, they are trying to cover the cost of your heater box repair. I have a 36-month lease and $0.20 per mile when over.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts