Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
6,253 Posts
I had a reputable shop leave a wrench in my engine bay once and I didn't know until I drove the 20 miles home and opened up the engine to see what work they had done.

Mistakes do happen, it just sucks that we end up having to pay for it ☹

·
Registered
677 Posts
The dealership model as a whole just sucks. Too much inconsistency when it comes to sales/service irregardless of the brand. I've experienced it with Porsche, BMW, Toyota, Mercedes, and especially the American automakers. As far as overall trends go, it does seem that Alfa is on the lower-tier overall.

The only glaring exception in the industry, in my opinion, is Lexus. Their salespeople can be hit or miss, but service has always been top notch in my experience. I had my Lexus IS serviced at 4 different dealers during a 6-yr ownership period as I was moving around a lot. Each and every one treated me exceptionally. Fair prices, good communication from SAs, easy loaner car availability, car wash/vacuum, etc. They really go the extra mile.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The dealership model as a whole just sucks. Too much inconsistency when it comes to sales/service irregardless of the brand. I've experienced it with Porsche, BMW, Toyota, Mercedes, and especially the American automakers. As far as overall trends go, it does seem that Alfa is on the lower-tier overall.

The only glaring exception in the industry, in my opinion, is Lexus. Their salespeople can be hit or miss, but service has always been top notch in my experience. I had my Lexus IS serviced at 4 different dealers during a 6-yr ownership period as I was moving around a lot. Each and every one treated me exceptionally. Fair prices, good communication from SAs, easy loaner car availability, car wash/vacuum, etc. They really go the extra mile.
Maybe it’s a Toyota thing. I’ve had a Land Cruiser for many years and I agree. Service department is great. Communication is always excellent and I never feel like I’m getting bent over. My BMW experience was great also, but I’ve only ever been to one dealership so I’m not sure if it’s universal.
Pretty sure I will be my new Alfa service department from now on.

Reactions: kevinpg

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
the Alfa dealership issue is magnified because they are few and far between, and they seem to have two tiers of service.
you have the Alfa dealership that is attached to a Chrysler/Dodge/FIAT franchise or Alfa/FIAT, then you have the Alfa/Maserati/Ferrari dealers. usually, as in my case, the Alfa dealers tied to Maser/Ferrari tend to have much better service, than the other two, there are always exceptions.
that said the big germans usually have a large number of dealers to choose from, like in my area there are 4 BMW dealers/service all with in 30 minutes at most of each other, Mercedes & Audi the same. and I hear horror stories about some, and others are gold.....

·
Registered
677 Posts
Maybe it’s a Toyota thing. I’ve had a Land Cruiser for many years and I agree. Service department is great. Communication is always excellent and I never feel like I’m getting bent over. My BMW experience was great also, but I’ve only ever been to one dealership so I’m not sure if it’s universal.
Pretty sure I will be my new Alfa service department from now on.
BMW's service is hit-and-miss too. When I had a BMW, I avoided the closest dealer and drove further to a more professional dealer.

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
6,253 Posts
It's numbers game. Even if the percentage of good Alfa dealers is higher than bmw or other brands, the number of those good dealers is still lower.

Reactions: kevinpg

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would 100% agree with you! The dealership is going to kill this brand. I won’t even begin to tell my story because it’s not over yet. Some day, the story will be told. My local dealership experience has been horrible up to this point!

·
Registered
767 Posts
I had a good experience with the service department at my dealership. This started to go south as they changed my rep. Calls weren't returned, loaner cars didn’t pan out and I was always being pressured to perform maintenance on my low mileage car.
I opted to switch to a closer dealer... hoping for the best, but find they only have one certified Alfa mechanic.
Will have to see how this pans out.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti Sport
81 Posts
Yes, I agree that the Alfa dealer experience can be a mixed bag. Back in central Ohio theAlfa/Fiat dealer I got my 2018 Giulia from was excellent and I had the best purchase (actually a lease I have since bought out) ever. Dealer was knowledgeable about the car, friendly, helpful and non-aggressive in negotiations, and worked hard to give me an amazing deal. Service was handled at the Dodge/Jeep dealer a few miles away and was also good. Competent service advisors and techs that knew and loved the Alfa brand. Since moved to southwest Florida and my closest dealer was an Alfa/Maserati dealer also with service at their sister Dodge/Ram dealer down the street. Things were okay, not great the first two years with significant turnover in staff. Then the Alfa/Maserati dealership was sold and now dies their own service (apparently with only one Alfa trained tech) in their new service bays attached to the dealership. Work is now substandard and they no longer document multipoint checks. Routine oil change and tire change with a requested full inspection due to original warranty expiring missed a visibly leaking radiator and turbo O-ring seals. Pushed hard for an expensive rear brake job including new rotors that visibly looked fine. Declined brake work and went to the next closest dealer almost an hour further away. They did the brake work, turned the rotors and found the two warranty issues. Gave me a new Stelvio loaner and had everything done under warranty the next day. They have several Alfa trained teams ha and two amazing Alfa dedicated service advisors. They are my new Alfa dealer and when the time comes to buy another Alfa (or trade up to a newer model) they will be the only dealer I work with. Long story BUT just goes to show the wide discrepancies in the Alfa dealer network here in the US.

Reactions: Theo

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've had a mixed experience. I hate to call anyone out since I experience the challenge of finding and employing dedicated and qualified people every day. The dealership where I purchased new has been very pleasant to deal with but, service has been a serious issue. As far as I can tell, only one certified tech. If he's out, no hope of scheduling service. If he's there, someone else will do things like overfill the oil and cause a headache.

My last service visit, I chose Foreign Cars Italia in Charlotte. I won't hesitate to call them out because the experience was exceptional. As I recall, they sell new Alfa Romeo, Maserati, Bentley, Aston Martin. I may be missing some. The service lane was filled with Astons, Bentleys, Ferraris and Lamborghinis when I pulled in. I felt inferior, but I certainly wasn't treated that way. I can't understate how that bolstered my confidence in being an Alfa owner. So I also understand how those who have a bad experience feel the opposite. I wish everyone had a positive experience so brand loyalty remains strong. Every brand will likely have trouble in some way. The experience in getting through that trouble is priceless.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Yes, I agree that the Alfa dealer experience can be a mixed bag. Back in central Ohio theAlfa/Fiat dealer I got my 2018 Giulia from was excellent and I had the best purchase (actually a lease I have since bought out) ever. Dealer was knowledgeable about the car, friendly, helpful and non-aggressive in negotiations, and worked hard to give me an amazing deal. Service was handled at the Dodge/Jeep dealer a few miles away and was also good. Competent service advisors and techs that knew and loved the Alfa brand. Since moved to southwest Florida and my closest dealer was an Alfa/Maserati dealer also with service at their sister Dodge/Ram dealer down the street. Things were okay, not great the first two years with significant turnover in staff. Then the Alfa/Maserati dealership was sold and now dies their own service (apparently with only one Alfa trained tech) in their new service bays attached to the dealership. Work is now substandard and they no longer document multipoint checks. Routine oil change and tire change with a requested full inspection due to original warranty expiring missed a visibly leaking radiator and turbo O-ring seals. Pushed hard for an expensive rear brake job including new rotors that visibly looked fine. Declined brake work and went to the next closest dealer almost an hour further away. They did the brake work, turned the rotors and found the two warranty issues. Gave me a new Stelvio loaner and had everything done under warranty the next day. They have several Alfa trained teams ha and two amazing Alfa dedicated service advisors. They are my new Alfa dealer and when the time comes to buy another Alfa (or trade up to a newer model) they will be the only dealer I work with. Long story BUT just goes to show the wide discrepancies in the Alfa dealer network here in the US.
I had to fight to get mine to acknowledge leaking O rings and when they finally did, I couldn’t arrange a loaner. I wound up having to go to the other dealer which will be my new service center. Just hope it works, as I’d Have to travel to another state.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
I got my QV in Dec. 2016, one of only two delivered to my selling dealer in 2016 when deliveries started in the US.
after an initial issue that almost facilitated a buy-back, I realized and have said to anyone who asked about the QV, make sure you have a solid dealer for service. I was/am fortunate that I have a Alfa/Ferrari/Maserati dealer literally 10 minutes from my home that has always been super. My selling dealer was incompetent when it came to service, and my issue wasn't a catastrophic engine failure, it was a failure to diagnose a failed part that almost led to the buy-back.
IF I didn't have that dealer to service, I would have let them buy the car back after only 3 months of ownership.
I'm glad that I do, because this car will go down as one of my top 3 that I've ever owned. It is an absolute blast to drive, on street, track, extended road trips etc.
Not sure how they (Alfa) will fix this, but they need to attempt to fix it if they want to sell more cars, especially with the new Tonale coming out and all of JP's visions of grandeur for Alfa

21 - 32 of 32 Posts