Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't really want to call out my dealership by name for fear of having an even worse experience, but I just want to vent. I am dedicated to the Alfa brand as you can see in my sig, and love everything about the product but I may have to be gone when my warranty expires in a few years. I took the car in for an oil change and tire rotation yesterday, which fortunately was free since it was the first service. After 2 hours of waiting AFTER they pulled the car in (I was early for the appt) they informed me that they drained the oil, but they don't have a filter that fits. They cleaned up the old filter and put it back on, but they'll need me to come back in 2 weeks for the new one to close out the work order. They can't just mail it to me apparently to put on myself. I live an hour away. So anyway, I was about to leave, when the tech called up and told them not to let me leave. He came running up the hill with my lug nuts. Wheels weren't torqued down and a rear wheel had only one lug nut in it.

So all that sucked, but the service dep't is also at a Chrysler dealership, which really completes the experience. The people were all very nice, from the service rep to the techs I spoke to, so no complaints there at all. But if Alfa expects more people to spend $50k-$100k on a car, you cannot have service experiences like that, and having them at a dingy Chrysler dealership is probably the worst part. I love to drive so I'm willing to put up with a lot. But the experience at my BMW and Mercedes dealership is night and day. Lord help me if I ever actually have a maintenance/warranty problem in the future. There was actually a QF and multiple Giulias sitting in the service lot that looked like they were there for work orders, and looked like they'd been there awhile.

Anyway, here's hoping Alfa corporate or FCA will throw some dealership-experience money out there to their franchisees. Cheers.

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia
30 Posts
I’ve so far had a very accommodating dealership experience. Probably because my Alfa dealer is part of a luxury group with Maserati, Ferrari, Land Rover, and Audi. The lounge area is very nice, comfortable, and always well stocked with the premium snacks/drinks. My main issue is that the Alfa side of the service department only has a single tech counter person. I’m also perturbed by the fact that they do not offer pick up and drop off for service work. I’m extremely envious of my wife and her mini. The car contacts mini service when it needs work, they schedule a time and place, they pick up the mini, take it for service, then return it. It’s a wonderful service that I wish I could use to. I have in fact asked Mini if they would service my Giulia. But while we differ on our reasons for not liking the dealership experience, I agree with you that it needs to be better.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Not having the filter and forgetting lugs and making you return is really poor service, but at least you have a chrysler dealership willing to do the service. It would probably cost at least twice if it was an alfa maserati dealership, but if you are wealthy that might be worth it to you. I assume that dealer services very few alfas.

Not sure how many miles you have on it, but if not too many, filter change is probably not urgent if they put fresh oil (although you are entitled to it and better for warranty purposes).

edit: Oh wait, I see you have a QV, which I don't know enough about to comment on the filter. Surprised the chrysler dealership services it, but yeah the overall dealer network for alfa definitely can benefit with corporate money. QV owners especially need good service centers.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not having the filter and forgetting lugs and making you return is really poor service, but at least you have a chrysler dealership willing to do the service. It would probably cost at least twice if it was an alfa maserati dealership, but if you are wealthy that might be worth it to you. I assume that dealer services very few alfas.

Not sure how many miles you have on it, but if not too many, filter change is probably not urgent if they put fresh oil (although you are entitled to it and better for warranty purposes).

edit: Oh wait, I see you have a QV, which I don't know enough about to comment on the filter. Surprised the chrysler dealership services it, but yeah the overall dealer network for alfa definitely can benefit with corporate money. QV owners especially need good service centers.
This is actually the Alfa service department (one tech as far as I can tell). The Alfa dealership is a couple of miles down the road from the service center. Also, they service a lot of Alfas since they're the only place in town. I live in a pretty high-income area, so to have Alfa at the Chrysler dealership is odd. There's no price break because it's not at an Alfa dealership . I believe the oil change is $330 on a QV.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I don't really want to call out my dealership by name for fear of having an even worse experience, but I just want to vent. I am dedicated to the Alfa brand as you can see in my sig, and love everything about the product but I may have to be gone when my warranty expires in a few years. I took the car in for an oil change and tire rotation yesterday, which fortunately was free since it was the first service. After 2 hours of waiting AFTER they pulled the car in (I was early for the appt) they informed me that they drained the oil, but they don't have a filter that fits. They cleaned up the old filter and put it back on, but they'll need me to come back in 2 weeks for the new one to close out the work order. They can't just mail it to me apparently to put on myself. I live an hour away. So anyway, I was about to leave, when the tech called up and told them not to let me leave. He came running up the hill with my lug nuts. Wheels weren't torqued down and a rear wheel had only one lug nut in it.

So all that sucked, but the service dep't is also at a Chrysler dealership, which really completes the experience. The people were all very nice, from the service rep to the techs I spoke to, so no complaints there at all. But if Alfa expects more people to spend $50k-$100k on a car, you cannot have service experiences like that, and having them at a dingy Chrysler dealership is probably the worst part. I love to drive so I'm willing to put up with a lot. But the experience at my BMW and Mercedes dealership is night and day. Lord help me if I ever actually have a maintenance/warranty problem in the future. There was actually a QF and multiple Giulias sitting in the service lot that looked like they were there for work orders, and looked like they'd been there awhile.

Anyway, here's hoping Alfa corporate or FCA will throw some dealership-experience money out there to their franchisees. Cheers.
Dear God, that's horrible.

·
Registered
2020 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
54 Posts
I've only dealt with one Alfa dealer and have no issues at all so far. I bought my Giulia used from a local Dodge/Chrysler/Ram dealership. I ended up calling my nearest AR dealer (2 hours away) about a possible warranty issue and they had someone drive out to pick up my car/drop off a loaner and take it back to look at. The next day I get a call and it will be covered under warranty, but parts are back ordered and they have no ETA on when it'll be available, so then the morning after that they brought my car back to me. I was supposed to pay about $50 since I'm abit outside their normal valet range but never ended up charging me due to having to wait on the part. I will defiantly be going back to them if I need to.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Also, not to minimize your bad experience, since it should not happen like that and inconvenience you, but at least they were honest and told you they didn't have the filter instead of just using the old one without telling you.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also, not to minimize your bad experience, since it should not happen like that and inconvenience you, but at least they were honest and told you they didn't have the filter instead of just using the old one without telling you.
For sure, but that’s not really my point. My point is that if Alfa wants to expand, the majority of people spending an above-average amount of money on a car will be turned off by the experience and won’t stay loyal to the brand.

·
Registered
682 Posts
That's comically sad.

Yeah dealer experience is inconsistent. They tend to be understaffed, lacking parts, and take a ton of time to get things done. I bear with it since my car just has 15k miles and hasn't had any mechanical issues so far. But for customers who are experiencing reliability troubles, the dealership experience has to be the nail in the coffin for their Alfa ownership experience.

·
Registered
2020 Giulia AWD Ti Stromboli/Gray
257 Posts
Write a beautiful letter to AR USA and the AR main headquarters in Italy find the address on Google tell them exactly what you experienced and make sure you mail the letter registrate with a return recipe i know it’s going to cost little money but you will receive an answer from both headquarters. back in the late 70s I owned Fiat car and I ran in few encounters as far dealer and parts so I wrote a nice letter actually in Italian because I do speak write and read Italian very well It’s my native language And English will do very well also. I did get a response letter from Fiat with apologies and also I got the parts I needed and installation service at the dealership free of charge. Good luck Alfista

·
Registered
775 Posts
Write a beautiful letter to AR USA and the AR main headquarters in Italy find the address on Google tell them exactly what you experienced and make sure you mail the letter registrate with a return recipe i know it’s going to cost little money but you will receive an answer from both headquarters. back in the late 70s I owned Fiat car and I ran in few encounters as far dealer and parts so I wrote a nice letter actually in Italian because I do speak write and read Italian very well It’s my native language And English will do very well also. I did get a response letter from Fiat with apologies and also I got the parts I needed and installation service at the dealership free of charge. Good luck Alfista
Back in 1992 I had an X19. We had one tiny little dealership on Long Island that was severely under equipped. I did however receive a Fiat America newsletter from Detroit that would hook you up with some crazy OEM deals. I even talked with some reps there and they where super helpful. Unfortunately it was their bailing out.

·
Registered
2020 Giulia AWD Ti Stromboli/Gray
257 Posts
Back in 1992 I had an X19. We had one tiny little dealership on Long Island that was severely under equipped. I did however receive a Fiat America newsletter from Detroit that would hook you up with some crazy OEM deals. I even talked with some reps there and they where super helpful. Unfortunately it was their bailing out.
I had 1974 X1/9

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
6,276 Posts
Terrible experience unfortunately.

There are some good Alfa dealers, mine for example, and I drive the distance and tolls for it, but sadly they are few and far between.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Recently my daughter had her '21 Audi Q5 sport model in for routine scheduled service. But they forgot to finalize several things, so I drove it back the hour distance to the big Hendrick Audi dealer, with a 9 AM appointment, and the several minute repair took four hours. I understand that when a car is brought in for service or repair, it might be much longer than anticipated, so I had to wait for a bay to open up for her car. I get that.

But then they failed to clear a code which was a reason for the original appointment, so I had to once again, drive the hour up and back to fix that. Being retired, not a problem for me, and besides, they had nice soda pop in their 'fridge. But if my daughter had had to leave work twice for a missed item that would have been a problem for her.

Just the way it is.... Me, I have a great relationship with the Alfa Service manager at my nearby Alfa dealer, where I bought my car. We are both military vets, so talk some about our experiences when I am up there. My QV's trunk pneumatic struts very slightly sagged so I asked for new ones, but they were fine when I went up for a warranty replacement, but my friend the manager just said. "...sure, no problem, get right on it." NV

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
OH, a friend took his new Ford into a nice clean oil change shop, They drained the oil, forgot to put in fresh oil, and his near new Ford shuddered to a stop several mies away. He never noted the CEL and warnings, driving in traffic, and the shop refused to replace his engine, saying he had a damaged engine when he brought it in. His comprehensive auto insurance put in a new $11K motor. I suspect one guy drained the oil, took a lunch break, then another guy drove it off the service pit not knowing it had no oil.

Some years ago, had a well known Porsche Race shop do about $4K worth of work on my Porsche GT3, and forgot to reinstall both fuel pump fuses, leaning to a burned piston a thousand miles away. Fixing that was over $7K plus had to fly back to get my Porsche.

I went back to the original race shop, told them mistakes happen, and if hey would reimburse me $2K for parts, I would take the $5K in labor. They refused, and told me I had pulled the second fuel pump fuse. I turned and walked away.

NV

·
Registered
775 Posts
OH, a friend took his new Ford into a nice clean oil change shop, They drained the oil, forgot to put in fresh oil, and his near new Ford shuddered to a stop several mies away. He never noted the CEL and warnings, driving in traffic, and the shop refused to replace his engine, saying he had a damaged engine when he brought it in. His comprehensive auto insurance put in a new $11K motor. I suspect one guy drained the oil, took a lunch break, then another guy drove it off the service pit not knowing it had no oil.

Some years ago, had a well known Porsche Race shop do about $4K worth of work on my Porsche GT3, and forgot to reinstall both fuel pump fuses, leaning to a burned piston a thousand miles away. Fixing that was over $7K plus had to fly back to get my Porsche.

I went back to the original race shop, told them mistakes happen, and if hey would reimburse me $2K for parts, I would take the $5K in labor. They refused, and told me I had pulled the second fuel pump fuse. I turned and walked away.

NV
A friend of my Wife’s husband surprised her with a loaded Cadillac several years ago. Her first service they too forgot to put oil back in. Her husband wanted them to replace the car and all they would do is put a remanufactured motor in. It never ran the same and she wound up getting rid of it shortly afterwards.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts