Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to the dealership a while back and was able to drive the Ti. Great car very nimble, similar characteristics to what i'm used to with Audi/BMW. I ask about the quadrifoglio expecting to be able to drive it as well. I was shut down. Not one to argue I went on my way. From what my local dealership made it seem the quardrifoglio was usually pre-ordered and mostly spoken for upon arrival. The one at the dealership at the time was ordered but the owner decided on another color so it became apart of their stock. My question to present owners is how may of you bought the car sight unseen and not test driven? for quite an expensive purchase I'd personally like to drive it before making the commitment.

·
Registered
81 Posts
You would need to show you are a serious buyer to get a drive in the QV. That could mean talking numbers first, showing you have the means to buy the car, etc. Age would alos have a big impact on the decision. A 21 year old guy vs a 50 year old guy is a big difference.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have bought mine without seeing it. It's currently sitting at port in Jacksonville FL and should be to my dealership in the next 2-4 weeks. To be honest, I have bought several cars without driving them first. I ordered a BMW Z4 M Coupe and did the performance center delivery (still have that car). I bought a Passat TDi without driving one. That was a good car for the money. Then back in October I bought my wife a Jaguar F Pace S (ordered it in June last year). My parents have also bought various cars without driving them first and have not had any regrets.

I'm 30. I've not really ever had anyone not think I wasn't serious about buying a car. That said, I emailed the Alfa dealership making sure they didn't have my phone number going back and forth before committing. Even so, there wasnt one to test drive....so cant tell if they would have let me or not.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
some of the dealerships I've seen too have none or very little stock so if they have low numbers it'd be my opinion they wouldn't want to send them out putting miles, making it less attractive etc to those who want a brand new QV.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I test drove one the other day. They were a little apprehensive about it but they let me drive it. Granted they only let me drive it around the block and I didn't get a chance to go over 45mph.

Dealerships have them in stock. This particular dealership in North Miami had 3 and they were expecting a 4th.

I would think that if you liked the Ti, you will love the QV.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Bought mine after sitting in the only QV the dealer had in stock. They had just sold it to another customer who purchased without driving it. Same for me ordered one the next day. Not in the market for anything else.

I would guess it will get easier when stocks are more plentiful. Till then you gotta show you are serious.

Reactions: Alfaholico

·
Registered
94 Posts
So I went to the dealership a while back and was able to drive the Ti. Great car very nimble, similar characteristics to what i'm used to with Audi/BMW. I ask about the quadrifoglio expecting to be able to drive it as well. I was shut down. Not one to argue I went on my way. From what my local dealership made it seem the quardrifoglio was usually pre-ordered and mostly spoken for upon arrival. The one at the dealership at the time was ordered but the owner decided on another color so it became apart of their stock. My question to present owners is how may of you bought the car sight unseen and not test driven? for quite an expensive purchase I'd personally like to drive it before making the commitment.

The issue our sales department has with test driving them is. If someone drives one and decides they don't want to buy then you have added miles to the car. Do that a few times and you are at 100 miles, then when someone is serious about the car they have issues with the amount of miles on it and how it might have been driven.

·
Registered
149 Posts
When I was a younger man, I had that happen to me when looking at a Ford Mustang Cobra back in 1995.

I plainly said, "If I like it, I'll buy it today."

Low and behold, they took the car out of the show room and let me drive it.

I bought it that day.

Steve

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
Bought mine sight unseen...never drove one....not the first time I've done that for the right car....and this car gave me that impression from the start...
I can understand people wanting to test drive it...it is not an inexpensive car...HOWEVER it is NOT anymore expensive than the cars in the market it competes with ie: M3 ZCP, C63S etc.
the rub is that the Quadrifoglio is produced in significantly less numbers than the other 2 brands

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went in for the stelvio for my wife which they did not have yet so maybe that gave it away that we werent serious.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Bought mine without test driving it. Same as I did my Audi RS4. Sat in a sold one at the dealership as one happened to be ready for pickup by the new owner.

With a car like the Quad and others of it's ilk (love that word, ilk) there is so much information online as well as reviews and videos....I would almost argue that you learn more from that stuff than a single test drive.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Bought mine after having sat in one at a dealership (as well as the car show)....But here's the whole story...Back in Feb when I got the bug I was trying to track one down....not many to be had and it had to be the way I wanted it (this is my 5th Alfa and I've never been the 1st owner)....Carlsbad CA had one but wanted $10 K above sticker (that wasn't going to happen) and a suddenly I found a Comp Red in Manhattan at the West Side Alfa dealer.....I called to inquire about the car and I was connected to the manager, who I could tell, had a heavy heart.....I understand you have a Comp Red Quad....Well, he replied with a lukewarm "yes"...I asked him, is it available ?.....to make a long story short, the car was badly damaged on a "test drive" on the West Side highway on a rainy Saturday...I had absolutely no interest...I could sense the poor guy was just about in tears....However, you have to question his decision to allow the car out in the rain, in Manhattan to some random gent, who after wrecking the car gets to walk away and say "Ma Bad".......

I don't think you can test drive a Subaru WRX STi.......Granted definitely appeal to a younger demographic but I think it's about rarity....and the Quad is what it is.....believe me, if you sign on the dotted line, you won't be disappointed.....D

·
Registered
647 Posts
About two weeks before purchase I became very serious about a Giulia. I read and viewed many online and magazine reviews plus the owner's manual.
By the time I found online/local the exact model/packages/color I knew more about the Giulia than any of the very nice sales people. They could tell I
was a potentially serious buyer. The sales guy handed me the key fob and said take it home for a test drive and bring it back tomorrow! It had 60 miles
on it and I added another 30 miles before returning it. The test drive sealed the deal, 100%.

I got a great discount deal and the folks at Car Pros Fiat/Alfa Romeo, Renton, WA were super. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
334 Posts
I bought mine after driving it, but I would have bought it even if I couldn't drive it first. I had been bugging the dealer for about two months about wanting it when it came in. That was back in April, I think there are more available now. They should be more reasonable about letting qualified people drive it. It is worth getting ....

·
Registered
554 Posts
About two weeks before purchase I became very serious about a Giulia. I read and viewed many online and magazine reviews plus the owner's manual.
By the time I found online/local the exact model/packages/color I knew more about the Giulia than any of the very nice sales people. They could tell I
was a potentially serious buyer. The sales guy handed me the key fob and said take it home for a test drive and bring it back tomorrow! It had 60 miles
on it and I added another 30 miles before returning it. The test drive sealed the deal, 100%.

I got a great discount deal and the folks at Car Pros Fiat/Alfa Romeo, Renton, WA were super. :D
I almost ordered my QV from Archie at that location, but at the last minute, one of his associates (mistakenly, apparently) told me there would be a $3k premium over MSRP, so I ordered from Tacoma. Super nice people over there though. I test drove a QV at Rairdon's Fiat/Maserati/AR in Kirkland, but it definitely took some convincing and the salesman had to get his manager in on the discussion as well. They made it sound like I was so lucky to even be able to see one in person, as most folks had been buying them sight unseen, but it was freaking sitting there and I wanted to drive it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Recoil. I did the same. Walked into a Dallas Ford dealer, saw a black/black '95 Mustang Cobra and bought it. Last of the OHV 5.0.
I had the exact same build. That was a great car. I sold it to my brother-in-law who still has it today (although he painted it yellow <shudder>).

There are times I still miss it. It was the first car I purchased brand new.

Steve

1 - 17 of 17 Posts