Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So right before all this COVID stuff, I had my dealer do the Technical Bulletin update in my '17 TI Q4...and they did a software update. I was on the original software, and they updated to 59...whatever was current in Jan/Feb 2020. Well, I noticed that they didn't update the NAV software about 3 minutes after I drove away. I stopped in a parking lot and also noticed no User Manual...so I went back 10 min after I left. They were cool and took the car while I waited. They were able to update the Nav, but something was wrong and they couldn't update the User Manual for some reason. They let me know and said I could call at a later time and they would try again (no big deal). A few months later (Monday) I took the car in because I curbed a wheel...and since it was there, I asked to get the User Manual loaded. So the wheel is fixed (looks great), but they are still having issues with getting the User Manual loaded...apparently they have talked to Alfa at least twice. Has anyone had this issue or heard of it? I'm not mad (yet), just curious as to why they are having this issue..seems to me to be a straight forward transaction.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
So right before all this COVID stuff, I had my dealer do the Technical Bulletin update in my '17 TI Q4...and they did a software update. I was on the original software, and they updated to 59...whatever was current in Jan/Feb 2020. Well, I noticed that they didn't update the NAV software about 3 minutes after I drove away. I stopped in a parking lot and also noticed no User Manual...so I went back 10 min after I left. They were cool and took the car while I waited. They were able to update the Nav, but something was wrong and they couldn't update the User Manual for some reason. They let me know and said I could call at a later time and they would try again (no big deal). A few months later (Monday) I took the car in because I curbed a wheel...and since it was there, I asked to get the User Manual loaded. So the wheel is fixed (looks great), but they are still having issues with getting the User Manual loaded...apparently they have talked to Alfa at least twice. Has anyone had this issue or heard of it? I'm not mad (yet), just curious as to why they are having this issue..seems to me to be a straight forward transaction.
Updating the SW from original version to .059 does wipe out the maps and they have to be reinstalled, it is part of the SW update procedure. Same may be true with User manual, I just don’t remember.

When you went back you say they updated the Nav. What do you mean by this, that they installed updated maps? If so, what version of maps?

I’ve never looked at the online User Manual, but you’ve made me curious— I’ll have to check and see it’s there!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Updating the SW from original version to .059 does wipe out the maps and they have to be reinstalled, it is part of the SW update procedure. Same may be true with User manual, I just don’t remember.

When you went back you say they updated the Nav. What do you mean by this, that they installed updated maps? If so, what version of maps?

I’ve never looked at the online User Manual, but you’ve made me curious— I’ll have to check and see it’s there!
Yes...they updated the Maps. Unfortunately, I don't remember which version of Maps was installed...I suppose whatever was current in March for US vehicles.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Yes...they updated the Maps. Unfortunately, I don't remember which version of Maps was installed...I suppose whatever was current in March for US vehicles.
Can you check when you get a chance? Not very many instances reported of dealers actually installing updated maps. Maybe they just reinstalled what you had previously? You can check the version in the infotainment system.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you check when you get a chance? Not very many instances reported of dealers actually installing updated maps. Maybe they just reinstalled what you had previously? You can check the version in the infotainment system.
I will check as soon as I get the car back from the dealer. I am pretty sure that it was a different version from what was loaded before they wiped it, though...from what I can tell from a pic form July 5th last year, the previous Map was 971.7654, the MV and TV was 001.011.020.

Reactions: wingler

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Updating "old" infotainment firmware from a version 001.x.x to a later version 002.x.x deletes the maps and user manual, which need to be re-installed after the firmware update.
The maps are usually not a problem, the manual however is, as the manual used is an old version, and will not simply install.....
See
infotainment updates

In the above link, you can find a download link for the manual (M72). This has a problem though, it has an expiration date causing it to not install
( SPC_EXPIRATION_DATE="2018-12-31" )

Someone has discovered a workaround though..... If you temporarily disable the GPS time/date update in the infotainment, and temporarily manualy set the date to a date before 31 Dec. 2018, the manual will install. After installing the manual, you can re-enable the GPS time/date

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Updating "old" infotainment firmware from a version 001.x.x to a later version 002.x.x deletes the maps and user manual, which need to be re-installed after the firmware update.
The maps are usually not a problem, the manual however is, as the manual used is an old version, and will not simply install.....
See
infotainment updates

In the above link, you can find a download link for the manual (M72). This has a problem though, it has an expiration date causing it to not install

Someone has discovered a workaround though..... If you temporarily disable the GPS time/date update in the infotainment, and temporarily manualy set the date to a date before 31 Dec. 2018, the manual will install. After installing the manual, you can re-enable the GPS time/date
Good info....sounds like @StickS707 may need to pass that information to his dealer who seems unaware of the workaround.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I suspect it's map version 1001, which was what I got in May when my MY18 MV was updated from 056 to 081.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
See
infotainment updates

That sounds about right and makes sense...the dealer mentioned something about it being "expired". I'll pass that along later today.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I suspect it's map version 1001, which was what I got in May when my MY18 MV was updated from 056 to 081.
I was curious because prior attempts by my dealer to update my MY17 with something more current than the original were unsuccessful.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:ROFLMAO: What would be super cool (but not happening) is the dealer gives up and just replaces the infotainment system with a 2nd Gen with Android Auto :ROFLMAO: ...but I know that won't happen.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
:ROFLMAO: What would be super cool (but not happening) is the dealer gives up and just replaces the infotainment system with a 2nd Gen with Android Auto :ROFLMAO: ...but I know that won't happen.
That would be nice, but at least we do have the capability to download up to date maps now!

·
Registered
187 Posts
When you install the new user manual it will say that the update file has expired. As long as they have the most current version, they should be able to disconnect the battery and touch the terminals together to get rid of any capacitive voltage in the system. If they leave it like this for ten minutes, and the radio does a hard reboot, they should be able to install the user manual from the console interior (under armrest) USB port.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I was curious because prior attempts by my dealer to update my MY17 with something more current than the original were unsuccessful.
If you are still on the original firmware version 001.x.x , this doesn't support map updates..... You would first need to update the firmware, for instance to 002.010.041, currently the latest for "old" hardware, after which you can update the maps.....

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
When you install the new user manual it will say that the update file has expired. As long as they have the most current version, they should be able to disconnect the battery and touch the terminals together to get rid of any capacitive voltage in the system. If they leave it like this for ten minutes, and the radio does a hard reboot, they should be able to install the user manual from the console interior (under armrest) USB port.
As said, lot easier to just fool the system and temporarily change time/date ;)

I would even suspect that if your way works, it's only because the system loses the time/date due to disconnecting the battery, resulting in the same outcome..... ;)

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
If you are still on the original firmware version 001.x.x , this doesn't support map updates..... You would first need to update the firmware, for instance to 002.010.041, currently the latest for "old" hardware, after which you can update the maps.....
I was on .002.009.055 when the dealer attempted to update my maps but failed. Regardless, the recent FCA TomTom website discovery resolved that issue.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sooo, the dealer says, at Alfa's guidance, they did the battery disconnect...I think they called it a zero capacitive check or test, or something similar, but still couldn't get the manual to load. I'm still being cool about it, since I got a loaner, and the Service dept is being cool (no attitude when I drop by at all), but I'm wondering how long I should let this go...Monday starts week 3.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Talked to the service department yesterday, but it was a different advisor than the two that are usually there. He said that Alfa told them to order a new ETM. I'm swinging by today (only 10-15 min drive) to see if the regular advisor/techs are working to see if they will let me order the new USB module and ask them to activate AA...or at the very least, not turn the option off. Fingers crossed, LOL

1 - 20 of 24 Posts