Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bit the bullet and accepted an offer on a car yesterday! I'll be picking it up sometime hopefully in the early part of the week, depending on my work schedule and paperwork. Leading to the question:

When you folks picked up your cars, what else did the dealer try to sell you on in the finance office, and what did you take? I'm planning on keeping the car long-term (I'm getting a bit emotional giving up my GTI after three years, and can't imagine doing that to an Alfa) and so plan on buying a Mopar extended warranty, but what else should I expect to be offered, and what's worth it?

Thinking in particular about dealer add-ons like wheel protection, dent removal, paint preserver, or any other BS that they use to eke a few bucks of extra profit on a car as it's going out the door. Is any of it worth it, or is it all nonsense?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Personally I think it's all nonsense. I worked my deal to include oil changes during warranty. I paid tax (6%), about $50 in title, registration was included and $60 in dealer documentation fees. No other nonsense add-ons.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I also did not go for any of the add ons Though, like you, I think I will be getting the extended warranty. But I don't need to make that decision until my existing standard warranty is close to running out.>:)

·
Registered
630 Posts
I highly recommend high quality ceramic coatings for the paint and glass. If you have the dark 5 hole wheels it is a waste to coat the wheels IMO since they’ll always be dark. But if you have silver wheels then get them coated also to make brake dust cleanup a breeze. CQuartz, Opti-Coat Pro + or Modesta depending on how long you plan to keep the car and your budget. However, I don’t recommend you pay a dealer for this because they’re going to overcharge for it and you’ll probably get an inferior product from whom ever they outsource it to. Instead, find the highest rated trusted professional detail shop in your area and pay them directly. You know the place, the one that works primarily on Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Porsche, Bentley, Rolls-Royce and other high end exotics.

As for the rest of the stuff, I’m about to cancel my Mopar Vehicle Protection contract because I don’t like working with my local dealer for service. So instead of risking my car in their hands I’d rather take it to the same pros who did the ceramic coating for any PDR.

I don’t have any first hand experience with Dent Zone Marketing Group Inc (Dent Zone) or the service providers they contract out to do the work. But I do know there are some exclusions in the Mopar contract. Personally I’d rather work with a known local expert PDR person and talk about each dent and what their strategy is rather than trust my dealer to coordinate the repair. Oftentimes interior trim panels have to be removed to get access to the backside of dents. It’s a real art form and you want only the best, detail oriented pros doing it for you.

As for glass cracks and chips, your probably best off working with your local auto glass shop like Safelite. They usually don’t charge much for cracks and chips that are small and treated early. Again, there are exclusions in the Mopar contract about length of crack or size of chip they will work on and they won’t even do it if they can’t be assured the repair will be lasting. It doesn’t cover windshield replacement, which sucks if you live in a state that doesn’t offer comprehensive insurance policies with no deductible window glass coverage. The infrared windshield on cars equipped with the advance driver assistance systems like forward collision warning are pretty expensive to replace. As for who is better at replacing them, I’d go with the glass shop that does them all day long versus the dealer who either subcontracts or does fewer if they do it themselves. If you want your dealer to coordinate all this it will probably just take longer than if you dealt with it yourself.

I like the idea of wheel and tire road hazard protection. I used it on my GTI on two separate occasions. But again you’re limited to 4 wheels and 4 tires for the life of the contract and it doesn’t cover cosmetic damage like curbing. Hitting one good size pothole could use up half of your available coverage in an instant. Plus I’m not happy with my local dealer so would rather take my car someplace else for tire replacement rather than be stuck with using them.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Have never bought any of the BS crap offered by the F&I guy at a dealer...
you can usually source ANY of what they offer on your own and for less money...
just add up the sales price/sales tax/doc fees and let me be on my way :)

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I got the extended warranty only because I keep my cars 10+ years.

·
Registered
554 Posts
All they offered me was Lo-Jack and whatever that anti-theft service is where you have a serial number etched into your glass or whatever. I declined both.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts