Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recently my car battery died unexpectedly and without warning. One day my car just did not work or turn on at all. I tried to jump start it and it did not work, so I took it to the dealership and they also tried a jumpstart, which failed. My battery was completely drained so I replaced it with a Diehard H8 900 AMP capacity one that I got at my local auto shop. When I turned my vehicle on, I can drive it and it works, but my dashboard has a lot lights and shows that many systems are in "failure" and I have no clue what to do. I'm taking it in for service later, but I wanna know if this is a common occurrence with Giulias? Has anyone experienced this?

Edit: I did a reset and most of the lights turn off, but now my electronic throttle control light is on and car is stuck in N mode on DNA

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, with all the electronics and not driving it to n a few days battery dies, I have man on a tender. JIC

DT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Recently my car battery died unexpectedly and without warning. One day my car just did not work or turn on at all. I tried to jump start it and it did not work, so I took it to the dealership and they also tried a jumpstart, which failed. My battery was completely drained so I replaced it with a Diehard H8 900 AMP capacity one that I got at my local auto shop. When I turned my vehicle on, I can drive it and it works, but my dashboard has a lot lights and shows that many systems are in "failure" and I have no clue what to do. I'm taking it in for service later, but I wanna know if this is a common occurrence with Giulias? Has anyone experienced this?
After reconnecting the battery there is a reset procedure you have to perform to clear all the codes and warnings. It involves turning the steering wheel from full lock, to full lock position, then returning to center. I believe you do this with the ignition switched on, but car not running, but could be wrong. You can search the forum, it has been covered many times, or check your user manual for battery replacement procedure.

UPDATE: found the procedure

1. Unclip battery negative terminal lead. I think just a minute or two should do. There’s a grey quick connect tab on top of the cable end, so this is tool-less and easy.
2. Click the terminal back on. Give it a little tug to make sure it’s locked on.
3. Quick push the Start button to turn on accessory power (do not start engine)
4. Turn wheel all the way to the left until it stops
5. Turn wheel all the way to right until it stops
6. Turn wheel back to center
7. Turn off car

when you restart the car, warnings should have cleared.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 2017 Giulia 2.0 Super Auto will not start. All the electrics come on but nothing from the starter even using jump leads. I disconnected the battery earth lead as suggested and the alarm immediately sounded so I replaced the lead quickly. The car wouldn't start and all sorts of warnings, for things I didn't even know I had, were displayed. Do I need the earth lead to be disconnected for several minutes or to try it more than once? Any advice appreciated.
Steve.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
My 2017 Giulia 2.0 Super Auto will not start. All the electrics come on but nothing from the starter even using jump leads. I disconnected the battery earth lead as suggested and the alarm immediately sounded so I replaced the lead quickly. The car wouldn't start and all sorts of warnings, for things I didn't even know I had, were displayed. Do I need the earth lead to be disconnected for several minutes or to try it more than once? Any advice appreciated.
Steve.
I had this happen two days ago. Pushed the start button with foot on the brake, and all the electrics came on, no sound from the starter, and a whole series of warning messages. I just sat there and pushed the start button 5 or 6 more and it finally started. Ran a bit rough, then stalled out. Started right back up, but warning messages still there. Did the steering well reset procedure, restarted the car and all messages gone. It’s been fine since then, but I suspect maybe this is some foreshadowing of a battery issue. Checked battery cable connections and everything tight. We’ll see.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
After reconnecting the battery there is a reset procedure you have to perform to clear all the codes and warnings. It involves turning the steering wheel from full lock, to full lock position, then returning to center. I believe you do this with the ignition switched on, but car not running, but could be wrong. You can search the forum, it has been covered many times, or check your user manual for battery replacement procedure.

UPDATE: found the procedure

1. Unclip battery negative terminal lead. I think just a minute or two should do. There’s a grey quick connect tab on top of the cable end, so this is tool-less and easy.
2. Click the terminal back on. Give it a little tug to make sure it’s locked on.
3. Quick push the Start button to turn on accessory power (do not start engine)
4. Turn wheel all the way to the left until it stops
5. Turn wheel all the way to right until it stops
6. Turn wheel back to center
7. Turn off car

when you restart the car, warnings should have cleared.
I read in another thread this week that one does that #3 for a minute or so and then, push the start button (with brakes pedal applied) to start the engine and do those #4, #5 and #6.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I read in another thread this week that one does that #3 for a minute or so and then, push the start button (with brakes pedal applied) to start the engine and do those #4, #5 and #6.
None of this works! I can't turn the steering wheel with the engine not running. Is the turning the wheel stopping the car starting or is it just to reset things?

I guess I'll have to have it recovered to a garage. Very annoying.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
None of this works! I can't turn the steering wheel with the engine not running. Is the turning the wheel stopping the car starting or is it just to reset things?

I guess I'll have to have it recovered to a garage. Very annoying.
#4, #5 and #6 have to be done with the engine running and are for re-setting systems. There are much worse things than taking the car on a flatbed to a garage (it happens, it's a car) and, yes, it's annoying.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Car back from AlfaCare, it was the starter relays. All's well now. The ZF feature of not being able to easily get the car out of Park was a real pain. I've asked the garage to think of a way to have an override in an easy to access place.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts