Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Back to square one. Tonight another dead battery. This AFTER the IBS was replaced two months ago. This is the second dead battery issue since the IBS was replaced. The first, I did not take it in, I started the car with my NICO and this ongoing issue disappeared for a month until tonight, when it came out of nowhere to strike again. These dead battery issues occur so randomly, it's difficult to even guess what is causing this. I always turn off the radio and do not initiate the electronic parking brake (I park on a flat surface). I don't use AA or Bluetooth so that isn't a contributor. Tonight when I pressed the start button, I knew immediately what was going to greet me...the click,click,click and then the Vegas light show but what was strange is while I am sitting in the driver's seat, angry as could be, I look over and see the Infotainment System on, interior lights were on...dash lights on. When I take it in to the dealer, this will be the third time I've brought it in for this issue. I am considering initiating lemon law procedures because apparently, through no fault of their own, Arrigo in West Palm Beach have been great but a solution to this problem cannot be found. They've replaced the battery and the IBS...I don't know what else could be causing this but yes...three times back to the dealer but in total, the car has given me a dead battery SEVEN times (or is it nine? I'm losing count) in less than a year and my Ti only has 2,885 miles on the odo since purchase in October 2019.

So frustrating because I love the brand...ever since my first Alfa in '85 but good lord, my Fiat Abarth went trouble free its entire five year note.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Back to square one. Tonight another dead battery. This AFTER the IBS was replaced two months ago. This is the second dead battery issue since the IBS was replaced. The first, I did not take it in, I started the car with my NICO and this ongoing issue disappeared for a month until tonight, when it came out of nowhere to strike again. These dead battery issues occur so randomly, it's difficult to even guess what is causing this. I always turn off the radio and do not initiate the electronic parking brake (I park on a flat surface). I don't use AA or Bluetooth so that isn't a contributor. Tonight when I pressed the start button, I knew immediately what was going to greet me...the click,click,click and then the Vegas light show but what was strange is while I am sitting in the driver's seat, angry as could be, I look over and see the Infotainment System on, interior lights were on...dash lights on. When I take it in to the dealer, this will be the third time I've brought it in for this issue. I am considering initiating lemon law procedures because apparently, through no fault of their own, Arrigo in West Palm Beach have been great but a solution to this problem cannot be found. They've replaced the battery and the IBS...I don't know what else could be causing this but yes...three times back to the dealer but in total, the car has given me a dead battery SEVEN times (or is it nine? I'm losing count) in less than a year and my Ti only has 2,885 miles on the odo since purchase in October 2019.

So frustrating because I love the brand...ever since my first Alfa in '85 but good lord, my Fiat Abarth went trouble free its entire five year note.
Is there anything aftermarket connected to car? Some extra equipment? Also if parked in garage don't store key in car or nearby.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I understand your frustration. You just want the issue to stop so you can just drive and enjoy the car. I drive my car with the cell phone in its holder with a battery monitor running and it shows me it is charging yet I feel like I should charge it myself every 2 weeks. If battery number 3 fails then I will go to an after market battery regardless of warranty coverage. I wish you the best with your situation.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Nothing plugged into any USB port but I did notice something rather strange this morning when, after work, I came out to start the car and it started fine but I noticed on the dashboard the Sirius XM channel indicator was showing a channel in use even though the radio was completely off. How is that possible? To check I turned the infotainment system on and changed the channel and subsequently saw the channel indicator change on the dashboard above the speedometer.
At this point, I turned the infotainment center off and the channel indicator on the dashboard vanished which you would expect to be the case. I don't see how it's possible with the infotainment center screen blank to have a channel indicator showing on the dashboard. I could not replicate that situation by turning the car off and turning it back on. Each time I did it the dashboard showed no channel in play because my infotainment center had been turned off.
Is it possible that somehow despite the infotainment screen being dark that in some cases when I turn the radio off before shutting the car off, that in some cases the radio actually remains on despite the screen showing a blank status and thus after 12 to 14 hours of non-use, that's enough time to kill the battery? Last night when the car would not start, after jumping it with my portable kit, it was left for only 8 hours at work before coming out to start it again this morning which likely wasn't enough time to kill the battery even though when starting the car, the dashboard indicated that the radio iwas on when in fact the screen was blank.
Also, to the best of my knowledge, my system was last updated during my last visit.
One other item to note. I noticed that when I shut the car off that the circular light underneath the round knob which power is the infotainment center remains lit. I haven't stared through the window long enough to know if that light is on a timer when the car shuts down but I suppose the next time I go down to the car to start it the first thing I'm going to look at through the window is to see if that light is still on.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
There was a known issue with Sirius where they were pushing ads that were disrupting our infotainment systems, causing the screens to go blank and either reset, or just go blank. There was a software update for that. Tell the dealer it seems to be coming from Sirius and you want the software update to fix it. I believe there's a TSB for it, but I don't recall what it was.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I checked my radio and I do have the latest update to the infotainment system so we'll see what they say tomorrow when I take it in but it sure is the weirdest thing to see the dash indicating that my radio is on at the same time I'm looking at a black screen with no sound despite turning the volume knob left to right.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was informed that a faulty body control module was causing a parasitic draw on the radio which caused the dead battery so the BCM has been replaced. What I'm curious is why, if the BCM was faulty, was the issue so intermittent and not consistent? I would go one week with perfect operation and suddenly it wouldn't start, and then another month with no issues, and then suddenly it wouldn't start. Sadly, to date, it's been a car I couldn't trust to take on a weekend retreat because from one start to the next, I never know what is going to greet me. Let's see if this resolves this ongoing issue. At first they thought it was the battery so that was replaced, then they thought it was the IBS, and that was replaced. Fingers crossed but I figured it would be prudent to document my experience in case others find themselves in a similar situation.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was informed that a faulty body control module was causing a parasitic draw on the radio which caused the dead battery so the BCM has been replaced. What I'm curious is why, if the BCM was faulty, was the issue so intermittent and not consistent? I would go one week with perfect operation and suddenly it wouldn't start, and then another month with no issues, and then suddenly it wouldn't start. Sadly, to date, it's been a car I couldn't trust to take on a weekend retreat because from one start to the next, I never know what is going to greet me. Let's see if this resolves this ongoing issue. At first they thought it was the battery so that was replaced, then they thought it was the IBS, and that was replaced. Fingers crossed but I figured it would be prudent to document my experience in case others find themselves in a similar situation.
Thanks, keep us updated if the issue comes back. I also just noticed the channel in the dash on startup with center console blank, and my car also has a slow drain on the battery. I had it on FM so it's probably not sirius-related. I had previously only muted the radio before turning the car off since I didn't realize you had to hold it in to turn off completely. Any modern car should be able to turn off the radio draw when off on its own though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Not so fast. Ugh. Picked up the Ti this morning at the dealer. Started the car, no Sirius XM channel indicator on the dash because the radio was turned off. OK, that's good. Drove home (30 min) and the car sat for 12 hours. Went to start it up tonight to go to work and it coughed and gagged a little before finally turning over...and wouldn't you know it, I'm greeted with a Sirius XM channel indicator on the dash but the infotainment system was turned off. This is the exact same condition I was getting that had me to believe something was pulling juice from the infotainment center despite the screen not showing operation. When they replaced the BCM, they didn't allow for a full day or a day and a half without operation too see what would occur so of course, they believe the issue is gone but it only took 12 hours for it to come back. Unbelievable.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal...to turn your car on and see a radio indicator channel on your dash if the radio itself is not even on?

·
Registered
774 Posts

What battery did they put in? Make sure jts not also a varta that sat around for a year

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Not so fast. Ugh. Picked up the Ti this morning at the dealer. Started the car, no Sirius XM channel indicator on the dash because the radio was turned off. OK, that's good. Drove home (30 min) and the car sat for 12 hours. Went to start it up tonight to go to work and it coughed and gagged a little before finally turning over...and wouldn't you know it, I'm greeted with a Sirius XM channel indicator on the dash but the infotainment system was turned off. This is the exact same condition I was getting that had me to believe something was pulling juice from the infotainment center despite the screen not showing operation. When they replaced the BCM, they didn't allow for a full day or a day and a half without operation too see what would occur so of course, they believe the issue is gone but it only took 12 hours for it to come back. Unbelievable.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal...to turn your car on and see a radio indicator channel on your dash if the radio itself is not even on?
No it's not normal. This is an issue with Sirius. They've done this before, where their satellite locks onto your receiver and keeps pushing advertising. It doesn't release the connection like it's supposed to. There was a TSB for this. If I remember right, this was an issue in late 2018, so the TSB would be related to that time period. I believe it was a software update that forces the satellite receiver to disconnect and not respond once the car is shut off.

·
Registered
16 Posts
No it's not normal. This is an issue with Sirius. They've done this before, where their satellite locks onto your receiver and keeps pushing advertising. It doesn't release the connection like it's supposed to. There was a TSB for this. If I remember right, this was an issue in late 2018, so the TSB would be related to that time period. I believe it was a software update that forces the satellite receiver to disconnect and not respond once the car is shut off.
If I'm not mistaken, I believe they have already updated my infotainment to the latest software version. I'll do a search and see what number is the latest and then check my radio but tonight coming into work, same situation. Radio off, station ID on.

·
Registered
1987 Milano Platinum
108 Posts
To confirm this, is it possible to pull the fuse responsible for Sirius to see if the electrical drain stops?

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Because faults can be inconsistent. Inconsistency is a fault.
You must not have a wife who tells you that all the time! :ROFLMAO:
What I'm curious is why, if the BCM was faulty, was the issue so intermittent and not consistent?

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Also, I've not figured out how Sirius/XM are even in business anymore.

Reactions: Eagle7

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
After using this battery monitor, I can see the voltage drop off after the second week if I don't do at least 1 or 2 , 1/2 hour drives at a highway speed. With Covid-19 and working from home, I don't drive it as much as I used to. The Intelligent battery module doesn't allow a significant charge just driving a couple minutes in town. So almost every 2 weeks I charge the battery and I always charge it if it has been in for service for more than a week. Everything seems to be working at the moment. I still love the car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Came out to the car tonight to drive to work. Dead battery. Once again. Since picking it up from the dealership a few weeks ago, where it sat parked for three days while they attempted to determine if the battery was the issue (it was not), the car has operated normally. They couldn't find anything wrong so I drove it back home. About three weeks of issue-free usage until tonight. As random an issue as anything I've ever experienced from an automobile. Radio wasn't left on. No Bluetooth connectivity. Parking brake not selected.
I parked it and left it the same way I do every morning after working my night shift. For three straight weeks, I came out to the car 14 hours later to experience the typical delay once pushing the start button but at least it turned over. Tonight it was click, click, click and then the center dash Vegas light show. I think I'm going to have to send NOCO a Christmas card because if not for that brick portable charger, I'd have been stranded seven or eight times since purchase a year ago.

Lawyers already working on the issue but this has been a love/hate relationship with a brand I've loved since the mid 80's. I envy those who have experienced issue-free Giulias because on my end, this experience has been anything but rewarding.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Came out to the car tonight to drive to work. Dead battery. Once again. I envy those who have experienced issue-free Giulias because on my end, this experience has been anything but rewarding.
Sorry but I’m too tired to back through the entire thread... Did they ever replace your starter relay?

41 - 60 of 67 Posts