Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,725 Posts
Welcome to the club D. I'm more of a lurker and not poster but today marked the fourth time I have walked out to my beloved eight-month-old 2019 Giulia Ti, only to be greeted by the Vegas light show from the dash. And this is even AFTER the OEM battery was replaced. Called my local and set up a visit tomorrow (they didn't have a loaner today). Frustrating...especially since I was on my way to a doctor's appointment. Good thing I had my trusty portable starter charged up and ready to report for duty. Beyond frustrating? You bet. As I wrote in a PM to Alison, my history with Alfa dates back to 1985 when I owned a GTV-6. Love the brand but this is getting ridiculous. For Pete's sake, I drove a 2013 Abarth for five years with ZERO issues. The local dealership has been great...this certainly isn't their fault but I asked them if they had replaced the IBS when they replaced the battery and they said no. So tomorrow, if they can't figure out what on earth is drawing power at night, I'm going to insist they replace that part. From what I've gathered, it may or may not resolve my issue. I don't use bluetooth in the car so that isn't an issue. I turn the radio off ALWAYS before leaving. I don't use the electronic parking brake (I park on level ground here in south Florida). I've read just about every post within this forum on these batteries issues....still no clue as to what is going on with my car. Strangely enough, for two months following the battery change, it was issue-free. Now, out of nowhere, it decides to start going chest up on me.

I lived in Italy for a good while during my military career. This is what fostered my love for most things Italian. Alfa....lord knows I love ya but come on....ya gotta give me some dependable juice.
Do you use ACP or AA? My 2018 had issues with it staying connected, and I experienced the same thing a few times. They updated the associated modules and infotainment and it's been perfect ever since. fwiw

·
Registered
4 Posts
^I don't use AA JeFizz.

OK, so I received the Ti back and it turned out the IBS was malfunctioning. Incorrect readings showing acceptable charging status when the actually status was in the teens, if not lower....hence a dead battery when I came outside to start the car. Replaced it and we'll see how it goes from here. Strange a part so tiny can cause so much of a ruckus but yeah, add another replaced IBS to the list of those who have had this work done. Not sure if the replacement will suffer the same fate or why so many (relatively speaking) seem to have been built on Monday morning or Friday afternoon but perhaps it was a bad assembly run or small part inside of what is already a small part. From what I've gathered, most who have had it replaced reported no further issues.

Back to forum lurker status, which I enjoy. My days of deep diving into my sportscars with mods (this is, if memory serves me, my 30th or 31st automobile) are over and I'm content to read what everyone else is doing. I will end on this note, had I known the Stelvio was equally as fun to drive as the Giulia, I'd have jumped on that instead. My loaner experience was an eye opener. Told the wife we might just have to chase a new one when this lease expires.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The false warnings that came up forward collision warning inactive, brake light out, left turn signal out, daytime running lights out, start stop disabled, Automatic Cruise Control inactive, no fuel gauge displayed, take car in for service warning. The fan for the air vents would run after the car was turned off, the turn signal lights would flash after the car was turned off, the passenger side backup light would stay on after the car was turned off, the start stop button would not shut the car off. Took 3 tries. Went into limp home mode for awhile. The first year they replaced the intelligent battery module and then the start stop would stop working until the battery was charged. I disable the start stop every time I get in. I'm glad the battery is getting changed. I don't think it was good from the start. Anytime multiple warnings come in I suspect the battery. We will see if that fixes the infotainment rebooting and the Sirius station on the screen not changing until the song changes, both are very intermitant. Can't wait to get it back, I still love the car despite it's current issue.
I am having same problem after Covit pandemic. Car sat for 3 months, on trickle charge but had dead battery. Like yours, every light says everything is wrong. Hope it doesn't take dealer too long to fix. Wondering about drive it or trailer it to dealer. 2nd time it has completely died (1st was after software update - total dead, not even starter click).
Like you, great fun car to drive when working, but TG I have a Jeep too.

·
Registered
2017 Giulia QV Rosso Competizione
112 Posts
How about this..

Already been two weeks waiting for a sticky caliper piston to be replaced...plus the front pads and rotors on my Stelvio. They have to ship the parts in from the east coast..

They actually don't have wear and tear parts in stock locally for a vehicle they sell. Wow.

·
Vendor
1,149 Posts
I am having same problem after Covit pandemic. Car sat for 3 months, on trickle charge but had dead battery. Like yours, every light says everything is wrong. Hope it doesn't take dealer too long to fix. Wondering about drive it or trailer it to dealer. 2nd time it has completely died (1st was after software update - total dead, not even starter click).
Like you, great fun car to drive when working, but TG I have a Jeep too.
We're sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern. If you would like any additional assistance, our team is always available via private message!

Alison
AlfaRomeoCares

·
Registered
5 Posts
I also let mine sit for the past month without charging. This is the first time it went completely dead on me and won't start, multimeter showed 10V. Trickle charged it overnight and started up fine, back over 12V, and every single warning light, engine needs service, autostart disabled, etc... popped on. I will continue to charge it until my charger says fully charged, but I guess those lights need the dealer to turn off now? I still have to bring it in for the recommended cooling update and metal grinding noise I had when turned off, so they will have a bunch to play with this time.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Not so final update, car is dead starting last night, I have a dome light, but nothing else. Tried to charge the battery from under the hood, but no luck. Used the manual key to get in the driver door. I have a lithium battery car starter, but its in the trunk and I can't get to it. I guess it needs to stay in the front on the passenger floor. The dealer replaced the battery last month. I put in a Roadside Assistance Claim 4 hours ago, no word back yet.

·
Super Moderator
2,725 Posts
Not so final update, car is dead starting last night, I have a dome light, but nothing else. Tried to charge the battery from under the hood, but no luck. Used the manual key to get in the driver door. I have a lithium battery car starter, but its in the trunk and I can't get to it. I guess it needs to stay in the front on the passenger floor. The dealer replaced the battery last month. I put in a Roadside Assistance Claim 4 hours ago, no word back yet.
Can you lower the middle section of your rear seats? If so, you can use a broom handle to push the trunk release.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
345 Posts
Bummer. When was the last couple times you drove the car? Long or short drives?

Good luck!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Short drives recently with the longest 4 45 minute drives last week. Thanks for telling me how to get into the trunk. Pull the center strap to open the ski pass through,, then take a broom handle and slide that black round piece to the right. Measures 5 volts across the battery terminals. Put the charger on it, we will see in the morning. Roadside Assistance never got back to me today.

·
Super Moderator
2,725 Posts
Short drives recently with the longest 4 45 minute drives last week. Thanks for telling me how to get into the trunk. Pull the center strap to open the ski pass through,, then take a broom handle and slide that black round piece to the right. Measures 5 volts across the battery terminals. Put the charger on it, we will see in the morning. Roadside Assistance never got back to me today.
Ouch, 5v? That's not good.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Yes, I have never seen a battery recover from that low. Its a brand new Mopar battery. It didn't charge last night and the lithium car starter made the displays come on briefly then the lithium car starter errored out. Pulled all my stuff out of the car, called roadside assistance again and sent a message to Alfa Customer Care requesting another ticket.

·
Super Moderator
2,725 Posts
Yes, I have never seen a battery recover from that low. Its a brand new Mopar battery. It didn't charge last night and the lithium car starter made the displays come on briefly then the lithium car starter errored out. Pulled all my stuff out of the car, called roadside assistance again and sent a message to Alfa Customer Care requesting another ticket.
Good luck. Sad that they never responded.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Called roadside assistance on Thursday, this time it was world class. She asked if I wanted to hold or should she call me back in 5 minutes when she finds someone to pick it up. She called back in 3 and said the rollback will be there in 45 minutes. 20 minutes later they were here. Called the dealer and they said the 2 month old battery was dead. Maybe sitting at the dealer for 6 weeks not running killed it, but it could be a million other things. I will still put the charger on it when I bring it home from service. Should be ready by Monday if that is the only problem. I would imagine I will have to set up everything like I did when it was new.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Second work day after the flatbed took my Giulia in. The battery was replaced and I have it back. I'm surprised all my settings were still in the memory. One short drive and one look back at it makes it all worthwhile. The universe is back in alignment.(y)

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
345 Posts
Second work day after the flatbed took my Giulia in. The battery was replaced and I have it back. I'm surprised all my settings were still in the memory. One short drive and one look back at it makes it all worthwhile. The universe is back in alignment.(y)
That's awesome! Be sure to use a battery tender whenever there is 2+ weeks of planned unuse.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts