Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about getting a dashcam but don't want to block the view or tear up my car's trim to route the power cord. There don't seem to be many battery-powered options available, apparently due to the heat that can build up in a car's interior.
I'd appreciate any recommendations, as well as cautions/warnings.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
I was thinking of a dashcam for a while but will use my Go-Pro Hero 5 for that purpose as it's both battery, tiny and subtle. I have the mount behind the mirror which is right out of the way. Easy in/out. I'm not a daily commuter though would be my caveat.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
658 Posts
I have been working at getting a competitor the Thinkware F770 installed. I pulled a lot of trim out of the trunk and back seat of my Giulia over the weekend and will post pictures incase it helps anyone else work out where to pry at trim. I got stuck because I could not work out how to get the map light assembly out of the roof without damaging it. If someone knows please let me know.

If I'm going to install a dash cam I want a install where the wiring doesn't show at all.

I decided to try a less ambitions front only camera install and without the battery to allow parking mode. The main clips on the A pillar trim were fine but there is some attachment of the A pillar trim to the roof trim that I can't figure out. Its the point where two meet closest to the door. It feels like something is going to get damaged so I backed off. I had started the A pillar trim removal at the roof and this point feels like it needs to slide down to disengage but I can't do that starting the removal from the top. If I could get it off I think there is a route down to the fuse panel at the front of the passenger foot well that is completely hidden. There is a little panel on the side of the dash facing the door that will really help with the routing. BTW I'm impressed with the clips that Alfa has used in most places. When you know where to pry they come apart with minimal danger of breaking the clips.

So if anyone has clues for those pieces of trim removal I would love to hear them.
Thanks

·
Registered
170 Posts
How'd you go Alan?

I've just picked me up a Giulia and wanting to get a dash cam installed, but don't want to rip up the trim, especially without damaging anything! The one downside of owning this new car so far.

I thought about getting a GoPro, but recording time is too limited.

Does anyone know of a battery powered dashcam with loop recording? hmmmmmm

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
I'm thinking about getting a dashcam but don't want to block the view or tear up my car's trim to route the power cord. There don't seem to be many battery-powered options available, apparently due to the heat that can build up in a car's interior.
I'd appreciate any recommendations, as well as cautions/warnings.
Has anybody gotten a wiring diagram for this car? Perhaps that would indicate if it is possible to hack into the forward collision camera and use that as an input to a DVR to make an integrated dashcam system?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Haven't had another go at the trim removal yet. If someone figures it out please post the info.
I am wondering whether there is a place to pick up power under the covers round the rear view mirror given there is already a bunch of electronics in there? But given the issues some people have had I'm going to be very cautious about making any mods to the electronics.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
Haven't had another go at the trim removal yet. If someone figures it out please post the info.
I am wondering whether there is a place to pick up power under the covers round the rear view mirror given there is already a bunch of electronics in there? But given the issues some people have had I'm going to be very cautious about making any mods to the electronics.
The "popular" scheme today is for covers to snap on. Snap on covers are light weight, compact and inexpensive. Removing such covers can be hazardous to your pocket book and nerves because it is always a guess that the cover is "snaps only" and it often takes quite a bit of force to get the snaps to release. There only has to be 1 screw in the middle of a bunch of snaps to end up with a broken part when you try to remove it. Is there anything in the service manual?

Given how much of Giulia's windshield is blocked off by the center instrument pod, I don't see any really good places to put a camera. Outside isn't really viable as the available cameras are not weather resistant and the lens would get dirty, wet or frosted, especially when driving in the conditions where the camera is the most useful. Putting the camera on a headrest doesn't yield a very good view and isn't good when there are passengers in the car.

I have a KDLINKS dashcam in my Mazda. It is not too happy to live on that relatively small windshield. If I put it in a lower corner the images are not too good (I mostly get a picture of the hood and the sky and everything is underexposed because the sky is bright) and if I put it in front of the rear view mirror (as suggested by the manufacturer) it hangs down into my line of sight. I guess I could cut off the GPS antenna and hold that on with tape to allow the unit to be mounted about 1.5 inches higher on the windshield in front of the mirror. None of which helps decide what to do on Giulia since that whole area of the windshield is blocked off.

Short of hacking into the pod wiring or adding things inside the pod, I think a camera with a lens on the edge of the camera would work best. That way the body of the camera can overlap the pod while the lens "peers around" the pod. Maybe any GPS antenna the camera has can "see" through the pod? I think it is still necessary to remove the pod cover to make this work, since the suction cup provided with the camera is not going to hold on the textured surface of the pod cover and I strongly recommend against blindly driving screws into the cover.

HMMMM, maybe there is a good place to cut a hole in the pod cover that would allow poking a camera lens through it?

On a related point, I wonder if a "stealth" radar detector will fit inside the pod?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks. It's website came up all funky on my PC, so I wandered over to Amazon for a look-see. Appears to be a nice product. What do you like/dislike about it?
I actually installed this same dashcam and hiding the wiring through the panels is pretty easy. I'd say it took me 10 minutes to do it all. Looks clean, I ran the wire for the rear cam, but didn't put the camera just yet, since I had to tint my windows. Just got them tinted, so I will be plugging in the wire soon! Also, I hardwired the dashcams, so now I can watch it at all times, even when car is off.

P.S. I bought my dashcam off ebay, only paid $280. It's not a replica or used. Just got a good deal. However, that was back in April, I'm not sure if prices changed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Khacho, Any chance of seeing some photos of where you mounted the Blackvue please? I have one ready to fit, just waiting for warranty issues to be resolved first.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts