Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone integrated a Dash Cam into their Giulia/QV? They seem to be more popular in European countries, but I'm interested in installing one. I want a dedicated one, not an Iphone hack.

·
Registered
133 Posts
what do you mean " integrated a Dash Cam into"?, I think there is no way to talk with the car's infotainment system, right?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what do you mean " integrated a Dash Cam into"?, I think there is no way to talk with the car's infotainment system, right?
Permanently installed

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,373 Posts
I am waiting for a battery-powered camera.

·
Registered
315 Posts
My coworker has this one

seems like a great value. I have been debating about getting one.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
It’s a shame that cars with built in cameras for for collision avoidance etc don’t have an SD card slot for recording your own stuff or had a way to tap into it with some kind of storage device...

·
Registered
765 Posts
It’s a shame that cars with built in cameras for for collision avoidance etc don’t have an SD card slot for recording your own stuff or had a way to tap into it with some kind of storage device...

Are cameras used for collision avoidance or just sensors? I don’t have a front camera on my QV as far as I know. I was look at getting dash cam but found out they are considered illegal where I am since they violate Swiss privacy laws. Too bad.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,670 Posts
I believe the problem with using the existing camera is that it is a self contained "appliance" that includes the image processing. The actual camera output is not available outside of the "magic box". The width of view and the resolution are also not suitable for use as a dash cam.

I would hope that an overkill resolution camera with a wide view angle could be used for multiple applications, but maybe individual cameras are cheaper.

I had plans to install a BlackVue dash cam and build it into the windshield pod (the pod cover would have to be cut and the lens of the camera would stick out. Blackvue cameras are very small (no display, use your smart phone as a display for setting up the camera) and the front and rear cameras can be swapped so that the tiny "rear" camera is in the front in order to minimize the driver's forward view obstruction.

However, I've been too busy with other projects to work on this one <sigh>.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I believe the problem with using the existing camera is that it is a self contained "appliance" that includes the image processing. The actual camera output is not available outside of the "magic box". The width of view and the resolution are also not suitable for use as a dash cam.

I would hope that an overkill resolution camera with a wide view angle could be used for multiple applications, but maybe individual cameras are cheaper.

I had plans to install a BlackVue dash cam and build it into the windshield pod (the pod cover would have to be cut and the lens of the camera would stick out. Blackvue cameras are very small (no display, use your smart phone as a display for setting up the camera) and the front and rear cameras can be swapped so that the tiny "rear" camera is in the front in order to minimize the driver's forward view obstruction.

However, I've been too busy with other projects to work on this one <sigh>.
Yeah I have no idea what the res they use or even if they just use b&w or not. They probably aren’t even using output that human eyes would even be able to use, could be streaming raw data just for processing. That said whatevs they do use it’s probably some off the shelf sensor and lens package for cost reasons and if they are only using a small part of the FOV it’s probably just limited in software for that reason. There’s no reason they couldn’t implement a dash cam functionality if they wanted or even just put another camera next to it for that purpose. I think the chances of them doing that are only slightly more than zero but just would be cool instead of having to put a wart on the windscreen. I looked into getting an EZPass mounted in the grill because I didn’t want the the ugly white thing on my windscreen. I ended up just spraying it with matte black plastidip to make it a little less noticeable :wink2:

·
Registered
7,670 Posts

Are cameras used for collision avoidance or just sensors? I don’t have a front camera on my QV as far as I know. I was look at getting dash cam but found out they are considered illegal where I am since they violate Swiss privacy laws. Too bad.
My car has a camera in the windshield that is visible through the glass. It is on the right side of the center windshield pod. There is another device on the left of the pod, but I am unsure if it is a camera.

Lane departure warning requires a camera. I do not know if any of the other advanced features require a camera.

USA rules allow filming of public places but not recording sounds without getting permission first?! There are pretty strict rules (these vary by state) about obstructing the windshield which make it difficult to legally mount a dashcam and still get a decent image. There are also likely to be legal issues with using a dashcam video as evidence in a court of law. Lastly, some law enforcement officers think that they can seize any recording device that was active when things went wrong as they are "crime scene evidence".

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I was curious what the collision: lane departure systems actually were outputting, looks like B&W, and found one company that has sold 10’s of millions of units and they showed some videos of what the systems were doing day and night. Kinda cool. All these systems seem to use almost identical lcd display images on the dash so I figured probably not too many companies actually make them and just supply the auto industry:

https://www.mobileye.com/en-us/technology/how-it-works/

Edit to add these systems are probably sandboxed purposely to avoid the legal issues inherent with recording video and don’t have capacity to record and export anything for that possible headache...

·
Registered
7,670 Posts
Yeah I have no idea what the res they use or even if they just use b&w or not. They probably aren’t even using output that human eyes would even be able to use, could be streaming raw data just for processing. That said whatevs they do use it’s probably some off the shelf sensor and lens package for cost reasons and if they are only using a small part of the FOV it’s probably just limited in software for that reason. There’s no reason they couldn’t implement a dash cam functionality if they wanted or even just put another camera next to it for that purpose. I think the chances of them doing that are only slightly more than zero but just would be cool instead of having to put a wart on the windscreen. I looked into getting an EZPass mounted in the grill because I didn’t want the the ugly white thing on my windscreen. I ended up just spraying it with matte black plastidip to make it a little less noticeable :wink2:
Try popping the pod cover off (there is a whole thread on just this subject) and see what is in there. On my car about 2/3s of the space is occupied by either sensors or mirror mount and the remaining space is highly fragmented, making it extremely difficult to add anything without first modifying the OEM sensors <sigh>.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,373 Posts
I had that thought as well. I believe Corvette already offers some sort of camera view as a track-oriented option. Mini, too? Will spread if proves popular.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts