Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have browsed a couple threads here on this but can't come to a conclusion.

I have no experience with installing these and am trying to find one where it can run independently of the fuse box/car battery (is that possible)? I don't want to void any warranties by messing with the fuse box or power sources. (would a dash cam hardwired risk voiding warranty in any way?)

I came across this one

https://www.captureyouraction.com/collections/dashcams/products/a119-1440p-30fps-car-dash-cam but no idea on how I would get it to work. Can't I just like connect it to a portable charger? or do I need to run it off the car battery to get it to run in park mode?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have browsed a couple threads here on this but can't come to a conclusion.

I have no experience with installing these and am trying to find one where it can run independently of the fuse box/car battery (is that possible)? I don't want to void any warranties by messing with the fuse box or power sources. (would a dash cam hardwired risk voiding warranty in any way?)

I came across this one

https://www.captureyouraction.com/collections/dashcams/products/a119-1440p-30fps-car-dash-cam but no idea on how I would get it to work. Can't I just like connect it to a portable charger? or do I need to run it off the car battery to get it to run in park mode?
Viofo is a nice relatively cheap solution. I have a street guardian which is basically the same thing with slightly different sensors. chose them since supposedly they have good customer support. most people go with blackvue or thinkware, but i couldnt get the thinkware to connect to my phone which apparently was incompatible with a google pixel so i returned it. im the rare person that likes the built in screen so i dont have to fiddle with my phone to see if its working or to make adjustments.

It needs to be connected to a cigarette plug, or can hard wire it to the fusebox. I dont know if that viofo has a parking mode, doesnt look like it. the street guardian i have i hardwired it with a 3 wire cable, one to switched power, one non switched and one to ground. It turns itself off when the battery drops a certain voltage. can get a separate battery pack for parking mode but that becomes pretty pricey, but then again might be a good idea with how . hardwiring a dash cam shouldnt void the warranty, doesnt draw much power, i just would avoid a fuse that is for something mission critical. dashcamtalk is a pretty helpful website for more info.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
I have a Blackvue, but did not bother with making parking mode work. I wired it to the mirror power which shuts off with the ignition. It is simple, neat and tidy, but of course I don't get any recording while the car is parked.

You are unlikely to void in warranty if you wire things properly. If you short something out, overload a circuit, damage things installing wires or damage wires your warranty is not going to cover the damage.

Case in point, one forum member paid to have a lidar detector installed behind the front grill. The installer apparently routed the wire through the access panel in the wheel wells for changing headlight bulbs or left the panels out or some such. This allowed water spray from the wheels to hit the back side of the headlight, eventually destroying the rather expensive headlight. The headlight replacement was not covered by warranty.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I purchased a $15 wiring kit on Amazon that plugs into the fuse panel at the passengers feet. I unplugged the 7.5AMP fuse in the upper left, plugged that harness in there, installed the 7.5AMP fues in the designated spot on the harness along with the 5AMP (maybe 10AMP) fuse for the cam in there too.

I use a cheaper gopro knockoff camera, but same thing. It has auto-mode so it only turns on and records when it receives power. One thing I discovered is that when the start/stop mode turns the car off, it also turns off the fuse spot I chose. Not ideal, but should be easy to fix with some testing of fuse locations.

Ran the wiring as such...
Red pigtail that has two fuse slots in it, one for the original fuse and the other for the dashcam.

Easily ran along the top of the kick panel over to the door seal.

Peel back the door seal, there's a void in there with plenty of room for the wire.

This is where you can get the wire behind the A pillar, just get your fingers or a pry tool in there to pull it out a bit.

Voila! It appears to be quite low, but actually I don't even notice it there. Passengers notice though, but whatever. :|

Here's the kit (15' was way too much, but I wasn't sure how long I needed so I went over kill on the length. There is plenty of room to wrap up the wire and stuff it below the fuse panel: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B072J3L2JN

·
Super Moderator
2,072 Posts
I went with a lazy option due to people hitting my cars Owl.. I find it's amazing in Parking mode which is mainly where I wanted it / alerts. Downside for me was the rear. Films cabin but you can't seriously see anything of substance if someone hits you in the back.I get over this by reversing into public spaces :D

I'm after a second cam soonish and thinking Vava with rear view camera. Lacks live alerts but feel it's better with the rear dedicated cam. I'll keep the Owl in the Alfa. Takes about 3 minutes to install.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
I have a DSLR and routinely get 600-800 shots from a battery. Why can't a dashcam provide similar performance? I wouldn't mind recharging regularly.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I have a DSLR and routinely get 600-800 shots from a battery. Why can't a dashcam provide similar performance? I wouldn't mind recharging regularly.
30 frames a second.. means in only 20 seconds the dashcam already took as many shots as your dslr :D
It would need a big battery.
I heard there are some dashcams that will record for 30-60 minutes after power off. Better than nothing I guess.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
30 frames a second.. means in only 20 seconds the dashcam already took as many shots as your dslr :D
It would need a big battery.
I heard there are some dashcams that will record for 30-60 minutes after power off. Better than nothing I guess.
Only a fraction of that 30-60 minute recording is likely to be interesting.
A smart dashcam will only shoot when there is something worthy of being captured.

How much memory do these things use/have? I get by with 64GB cards, and I shoot RAW.

·
Registered
994 Posts
A smart dashcam will only shoot when there is something worthy of being captured.

How much memory do these things use/have? I get by with 64GB cards, and I shoot RAW.
I don't think memory is an issue, I was mostly thinking of the energy comsumption of recording video.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm just afraid of sucking my battery dry with something wired to it or possibly screwing up other electronics. I might just have to deal with only having one for driving. My parking garage is very secure but you never know... wish I had one that closed lol

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
DSLR battery is 1/4 the size of the dashcam.

I use 32GB and Shoot RAW (screw jpg), and never have an issue... but video takes quite a bit.

yeah, an intelligent dash cam will only record when needed, but that still takes power.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
DSLR battery is 1/4 the size of the dashcam.
I'd be OK with the dashcam being a little bulkier to accommodate the battery.

yeah, an intelligent dash cam will only record when needed, but that still takes power.
My Ring cameras only need recharging once a month (if that).

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
The dashcam capacitor is there so that the camera can run for a couple of seconds and save whatever was in progress to the flash.

Blackvue makes a battery backup kit. It is charged when the ignition is on, I am not sure how long it can run the camera. It is kind of big and not cheap though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
First real post!
For those that did not see my introduction, I currently have a 2014 Charger and am looking to get a 2020 Giulia whenever they arrive.

That being said, about a year and a half ago, I got a ticket for "rolling a stop sign" which was complete BS... The kid that pulled me over was shaking... long story short, I was so mad when I got home that day I spent all night researching Dash Cams and decided to get the Garmin Dash Cam 55.
As of last month they have a new and improved model out, but the one I have is great for what I originally intended it for. It has interesting things like GPS (shows location & speed), voice command (ex. "take a picture", "save video" etc.), Lane Departure Warning, red light camera warning, (which I don't use), only extra "feature" I actually have turned on is it beeps when the car in front of you has moved and you're standing still... Mostly enjoy it because on my route to work, there is always this beautiful black Giulia sitting in the parking lot of the train station, haha.
It can also act as a wireless access point if you want to use the app on your phone to download videos - I'm old school and take the memory card out and plug it into my computer.

I do have a question maybe Giulia owners can chime in on.
The Charger has three 12v outlets, so I have options to plug it in wherever needed, however, my understanding, the Giulia only has one in the front center console/armrest? Assuming I'm afraid to hardwire it to my future 2020 Giulia, does the center console allow wires (aux & USB) to pass through the inside to out?

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
First real post!
For those that did not see my introduction, I currently have a 2014 Charger and am looking to get a 2020 Giulia whenever they arrive.

That being said, about a year and a half ago, I got a ticket for "rolling a stop sign" which was complete BS... The kid that pulled me over was shaking... long story short, I was so mad when I got home that day I spent all night researching Dash Cams and decided to get the Garmin Dash Cam 55.
As of last month they have a new and improved model out, but the one I have is great for what I originally intended it for. It has interesting things like GPS (shows location & speed), voice command (ex. "take a picture", "save video" etc.), Lane Departure Warning, red light camera warning, (which I don't use), only extra "feature" I actually have turned on is it beeps when the car in front of you has moved and you're standing still... Mostly enjoy it because on my route to work, there is always this beautiful black Giulia sitting in the parking lot of the train station, haha.
It can also act as a wireless access point if you want to use the app on your phone to download videos - I'm old school and take the memory card out and plug it into my computer.

I do have a question maybe Giulia owners can chime in on.
The Charger has three 12v outlets, so I have options to plug it in wherever needed, however, my understanding, the Giulia only has one in the front center console/armrest? Assuming I'm afraid to hardwire it to my future 2020 Giulia, does the center console allow wires (aux & USB) to pass through the inside to out?
Welcome. The 2018 Giulia, not sure about other years, has one usb port in the front center console by the cup holders, 2 usb ports in the center console storage/arm rest, and one on the back of the center console for the rear passengers.

See my post above. I wired mine in to the fuse panel using a non-destructive method. It was pretty quick and easy, nothing to be worried about. I do need to try different fuse locations though, as stated, the start/stop turns that one fuse on/off.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Dual-power, battery and capacitor, seems a possibility.

Of course this may all be moot soon enough, as vehicle manufacturers add more and more cameras (Teslas already have a bunch) and customers are able to tap into them.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
USB ports are 5V. The 12V "power outlet" in the cubby is only powered while the ignition is on. There is switched power in the windshield pod for the mirror.

I have a Blackvue camera with a Blendmount with an extension and mirror wire kit. The installation is very neat, the camera is almost invisible, and the camera is quite steady. It is not an inexpensive setup and the Blendmount does restrict the downward and leftward movement of the mirror slightly.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Dual-power, battery and capacitor, seems a possibility.

Of course this may all be moot soon enough, as vehicle manufacturers add more and more cameras (Teslas already have a bunch) and customers are able to tap into them.
The issue with the vehicle cameras is the "are able to tap into them" step. Giulia has several cameras if you get all of the options, but the image is processed directly in the camera at least for the forward facing units. The rear camera is analog NTSC, so maybe it could be tapped, although the picture quality will be limited and the camera has issues with adverse weather.

The bandwidth of the raw signal coming out of an HD or QHD camera is very high. It is generally preferred to do image processing in a chip that is very close (less than an inch) to the camera to avoid issues with signal transmission. Compression of the image to a manageable bandwidth is a relatively complex operation (it is the main power consumer in a dashcam) and unless users demand the functionality the manufacturers of the nanny cams in your car have no motivation to add said functionality.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
While I doubt this is the only system offered by an OEM, it may be the best integrated. And the manufacturers are just getting started.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts