Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a good product for cleaning and conditioning the leather dash on the QVs?

I don’t need a real “cleaner” just a good duster-detailer. So far I’m just using a damp towel.
Nothing is really dirty as it’s not used as much as I would like and it’s parked inside most of the time.

Also looking for something to use on the Recaros. Again, I don’t need a hardcore cleaner. Just something for light surface work.

Any advice for the Alcantara inserts? Nobody seems to be able to give me solid advice.

I also do not want anything with a strong scent or that leaves a shiny appearance. I want it to remain looking stock, just cleaned and conditioned.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,714 Posts
You have Recaros? Are the stock seats made by Recaro?
Maybe he meant Sparcos?

I would think that Alcantara would be difficult to clean and also make it difficult to clean/condition adjacent materials.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Alcantara is, I believe, best cleaned with a vacuum.....If you're not eating or drinking in the car, the greatest potential problem with the Alcantara is wear...the last series Alfa Spiders brought to the US, Series 4, had a mix of Leather with Alcantara inserts and they were notorious for poor wear (especially by jeans !!)....I have actually placed a large microfiber towel on my driver's seat base so that I can hopefully protect the Alcantara from wear and tear....as for the dash and leather surrounding the Alcantara....I'm assuming you're not looking for "SHINY, SHINY" Armour All finish....I think a leather conditioner (Zymol comes to mind) is all that you need to do....Esp if the dash is not baking in the sun, you should be fine.....D

Reactions: Edc_2104

·
Supporting Vendor
691 Posts
The best way that I've found to clean Alcantara is to vacuum it well, then wipe it with a warm, slightly damp microfiber cloth - it will look 100% new after that.

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
Alcantara is, I believe, best cleaned with a vacuum.....If you're not eating or drinking in the car, the greatest potential problem with the Alcantara is wear...the last series Alfa Spiders brought to the US, Series 4, had a mix of Leather with Alcantara inserts and they were notorious for poor wear (especially by jeans !!)....I have actually placed a large microfiber towel on my driver's seat base so that I can hopefully protect the Alcantara from wear and tear....as for the dash and leather surrounding the Alcantara....I'm assuming you're not looking for "SHINY, SHINY" Armour All finish....I think a leather conditioner (Zymol comes to mind) is all that you need to do....Esp if the dash is not baking in the sun, you should be fine.....D
Thanks for confirming my reasoning for buying a leather interior (2.0T). Hopefully the IR windshield will be sufficient to prevent the dash from suffering sun damage (comments?). One of the A pillar covers on my pickup truck melted from the heat of the sun last year (no IR windshield though) so heat from the sun can be an issue.

The red leather in the 2.0T has a remarkable mat finish. Shiny would not work in that color. Hopefully it will not turn shiny with age and wear.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Thanks for confirming my reasoning for buying a leather interior (2.0T). Hopefully the IR windshield will be sufficient to prevent the dash from suffering sun damage (comments?). One of the A pillar covers on my pickup truck melted from the heat of the sun last year (no IR windshield though) so heat from the sun can be an issue.

The red leather in the 2.0T has a remarkable mat finish. Shiny would not work in that color. Hopefully it will not turn shiny with age and wear.
Two points....the Ghibli we have has red seats (leather)...they too pick up pigmentation from jeans...only way around that is covers....re: dash...if you're constantly in the sun, you'll need one of those interior reflective silver barriers that goes from A pillar to A pillar and sits inside the glass, supported by the rear view mirror and the sun visors....

·
Registered
765 Posts
Alcantara is very durable and stain resistant. Thats why it is used in many extreme applications. I really don’t think you need to drive around sitting on a towel.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
We have the makings of a scientific experiment....me with my towel and you without one..photos in one year ?

·
Registered
765 Posts
We have the makings of a scientific experiment....me with my towel and you without one..photos in one year ?

Haha. Not very scientific since there are too many other variables to take into account eg the boniness of our rumps. That being said it would be interesting to know how the alcantara is wearing over time.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Ahhh...the dreaded BONY RUMP !!!! :surprise: :surprise:

·
Registered
5,014 Posts

Haha. Not very scientific since there are too many other variables to take into account eg the boniness of our rumps. That being said it would be interesting to know how the alcantara is wearing over time.
I think passing gas & squirming around in your seat is more detrimental to the alcantara.....:grin2::grin2:

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I think passing gas & squirming around in your seat is more detrimental to the alcantara.....:grin2::grin2:
Serge....you did see the condition of my 26 year old 164 S .....I think you can trust my judgement about "cosmetic issues and concerns"......D :laugh:

Reactions: MDriver

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
Two points....the Ghibli we have has red seats (leather)...they too pick up pigmentation from jeans...only way around that is covers....re: dash...if you're constantly in the sun, you'll need one of those interior reflective silver barriers that goes from A pillar to A pillar and sits inside the glass, supported by the rear view mirror and the sun visors....
Not all denim is created equal. Some brands give off a lot of blue dye and some not so much. I guess I will find out since I almost always wear blue denim and I am not putting covers on the seats. I may be looking for a cleaning product to remove blue stains from red leather sometime soon...

My truck has a heat reflector that I put in the windshield. I am guessing that it acted like a concentrator to cause or at least worsen the damage to my A-pillar cover. The reflector is a few years old and the edges have curled which may be making the situation worse.

The infrared windshield also has a reflective coating. Multiple reflective devices should further reduce the total heat infiltration, but may concentrate heat in bad places, such as on the windshield.

I have used heat reflectors in all of my vehicles since 1983. Starting with my 2013 Subaru the windshield has such a severe slope that the reflector does not want to stay in position (it sags in the middle). Reflectors are a hassle and need periodic replacement. Giulia is my first car with an infrared windshield and I was hoping that it would be sufficient to control the heat coming through the windshield. Have you tried one?

·
Registered
'17 Ti Sport Q4 w/ Active Shocks & LSD
794 Posts
Lexol Products and Alfa Ti Leather

I’ve been cleaning and treating my Ti Sport Leather (also Alfa Red & Black) with 2 products from Lexol:

1) Lexol Leather Conditioner, applied approx. monthly. Liquid, via sponge/terry applicator, wait 15 minutes then wipe off excess with a microfiber or terry (non-shedding) clean, dry rag.

2) Per instance (only once, thus far. Dealership shop grime on seats, handprint, etc.) with their Leather Cleaner, which has mild soap, compatible with the conditioner. Apply with a damp cloth, scrub to light foam, remove with another damp cloth, let dry, then condition.

Interior continues to look like factory leather. Maintains the same buff, but now lusterious, tone. No shine. Has saddle oil in the conditioner, and smells like factory fresh leather after each treatment. No purfumes or scents. Leather “squint lines” where compressed seats begin to show some “character” are noticably smoother after treatment, showing character, not wrinkles.

I use it on all actual leather surfaces, including horn pillow, steering wheel outers and console door. I reserve the non-leather surfaces (dash in my Ti, door panels, vinyl backs on seats, kick panels on floor, backs of front seat lowers, dashboard, etc) for their Vinyl Protectant treatment and conditioner, which I do only once per quarter.

Only negative result I had was from the very first treatment, when the car was about 1 week old: My light blue skinny jeans, picked up a very small amount of the red color from the seats. Not vice versa. Seats have remained perfectly red, with zero pickup from any apparel.

I use the Lexol for other leather items, particularly my Leather bicycle stuff: Sidi Dominator and Genius shoes, Stella Italia saddlery, Brooks Saddle. Also motorcycle apparel: gauntlets, riding jacket, BMW boots. The higher wear items I will put a little saddlery finishing wax on, after conditioning to close up the grain a bit and improve water shedding.

My dealership sez, “your Ti looks factory perfect, particularly the interior.”. It’s good to be a car-nut again!!

Hope to help,

Attachments

·
Registered
'17 Ti Sport Q4 w/ Active Shocks & LSD
794 Posts
If by reflector you mean mylar window shade...

Not all denim is created equal. Some brands give off a lot of blue dye and some not so much. I guess I will find out since I almost always wear blue denim and I am not putting covers on the seats. I may be looking for a cleaning product to remove blue stains from red leather sometime soon...

My truck has a heat reflector that I put in the windshield. I am guessing that it acted like a concentrator to cause or at least worsen the damage to my A-pillar cover. The reflector is a few years old and the edges have curled which may be making the situation worse.

The infrared windshield also has a reflective coating. Multiple reflective devices should further reduce the total heat infiltration, but may concentrate heat in bad places, such as on the windshield.

I have used heat reflectors in all of my vehicles since 1983. Starting with my 2013 Subaru the windshield has such a severe slope that the reflector does not want to stay in position (it sags in the middle). Reflectors are a hassle and need periodic replacement. Giulia is my first car with an infrared windshield and I was hoping that it would be sufficient to control the heat coming through the windshield. Have you tried one?
...I use that on all my cars. A must for high-altitude UV and thermal gain abatement.

My 1995 4Runner had a windshield mylar shade for 18 years, and the dash was perfect. In the 3 years my kids had the car, and never used the shade, the dash cracked in 3 places.

IR windshields aside, I trust Mylar reflectivity. Don’t want to risk my precious.

Reactions: Alfaholico
1 - 20 of 37 Posts